TTY: The World Is Full of Crashing Bores - "The Truth About Popular Music" by Paul Joseph Watson

Last edited:
Re: TTY: The World Is Full of Crashing Bores - "The Truth About Popular Music" by Paul Joseph Watson

lets get real. if someone on this planet running a record label suddenly went stark raving mad and gave moz a fat record contracty, moz would gloat to no end on tty. hed be posting nonsense and sammy would be posting his collages or whatever it is he calls them non stop.

Yes. He would make a record with Ed Sheeran and then try to stop it coming out the day before release, post lies about what happened on TTY, and then moan about how life is unfair.

Re: TTY: The World Is Full of Crashing Bores - "The Truth About Popular Music" by Paul Joseph Watson

if you started drinking beer at 2 pm and posted at 2 pm you hardly had time to get as drunk as you were when you were posting.

dude, think for ONE second. 'dudes' (i use the term here VERY loosely) with an fing moz-one the gayest.... i mean humanest artists in the planet-tattoo is hardly going to inspire fear in anyone. i mean what is it you do when you get in 'rebel' mode?
hit someone with a four leaf clover? man up ffs. LOL

You really need to lay off the heroin, your post makes no sense whatsoever, and stop putting LOL in your posts it only proves how pathetic you are, now for the last time register or piss off, I will not respond anymore to anonyMOUSE cowards

Morrissey being "so hard to work with" in my opinion is a testament to how much it means to him. The process of making a record coupled with the promotion, merchandise and touring is not just filling time and performing like it is for most bands. To him I suspect it's like some sort of pilgrimage that he wants to get right or prefers to not venture out an d do it at all.

We all know what he is capable of and no he doesn't get it right every time but who does? I'd rather listen to a sub par Morrissey album than most bands' output these days.

- - - Updated - - -

Well said, you've put my exact thoughts into words perfectly, much better than I ever could

Lol, it wasn't my initial intention but hey, I'll take it. :)

:lbf: perfect! Most people think that it's the choices one makes or a way of thinking that shapes ones life,that I believe is only partially true. It's difficult for most to see that we aren't all blessed with the tools to find the path to 'happiness', nor are some blessed in the ways to desensitize ones self to the worlds atrocities by distracting one self with marriage,family life,or an idea of supposed 'normality' that's shoved down are throats from education to media and laws either judicial or societies 'moral codes' of the day. We aren't all that lucky. And in a strange way lucky for that same reason. Either way,in the end, no one really wins.:lbf:

Last edited by a moderator:

anathematization of the world is not an adequate response to the world. ;) (donald barthelme)

what i would like to know is who the hell said anyone is supposed to be happy? there's this idea never more prevalent than in the 20th and 21st centuries that the greatest good in life, the whole reason for existing, is happiness, and that we all must come to it in the same prescribed ways, and if it eludes you than you've somehow failed in life. this is a deplorably unbalanced way of thinking, and has goes a long way, i think, toward creating much unhappiness--both in the depressive (whos unhappiness it no doubt compounds by the idea that there's something wrong with them, that they're missing out, by not being happy) and in the average person by instilling such an aversion and fear of unhappiness, that happiness becomes it's own opposite. to me this is not a very humanistic way of thinking: the idea that humans should by all means be happy, that they should reject suffering. because what happens is that when you reject suffering you're rejecting your own humanity, so much of which is based on suffering and struggle. suffering, make no mistake, is at the heart of everything. and people who think themselves happy or that put pressure on themselves to be happy are most likely latently unhappy. i find it really hard to believe that, for example, people who lead these suburban lives (sordid suburbia i call it, wrote a great essay on it once wherein my professor called me a future nobel prize winning writer *smug*) revolving around children and barbeques and soccer games are actually happy unless they're extraordinarily simple folk. in any case, a life like that can never afford real joy, the kind that bypasses such pedestrian ideas of happiness and doesnt depend on any cliche conditions for it's existance; the kind that you cant find in any of the familiar places, because like all things of any value it creates itself. and one of the keys to real joy is the refinement of emotion and the exquisiteness of the expression of that emotion--all emotions. which is why many artist who are said to be tortured souls are also said to experience moments of real joy and ecstasy which ordinary people with their mediocre ideas can never experience. and id much rather lead a raw ragged life with despair as my only companion in pursuit of the refinement of feeling than lead a boring borgeois life, where success in life is based upon the principle of being very very good at being very very mediocre. anyone who is so coarse as to believe that deserves to be unhappy.

I agree with most of your ideas, but I think in an unjust system, adequacy is the most immoral response

Bennys online confectionery store is now opennnnnnnnn

☕♿

Everything is in stock today people so fill your boots !
Still the number on best seller Hoggy's mess made with coconut milk and Peters secret ingredient ! Yum yum.
Three for two on all popcorn flavours.
New stock (for our friend north of the border) TUNNOCKS : tea cakes/snowballs/caramel wafer/caramel tubs. Mars bars, creme eggs, macaroni pies, quorn haggis, quorn smoked sausages, quorn lorne square sausage, qourn mince n tatties. All available deep fried in batter. (We can even deep fry our best seller Hoggy's Mess)

Save more penny's shop at Benny's

BtBB

Why don't you deep fry your tits, private bits, and ringpiece for Bourdain to chow down on? K THX MTARD!

OK. I won't look back if you don't look in the mirror, deal?

giphy.gif

Why don't you deep fry your tits, private bits, and ringpiece for Bourdain to chow down on? K THX MTARD!

And throw that obscene tongue of yours in the deep fryer mix while you're at it, bozo.

I couldn't agree with you more. Morrissey may be in the sunset of his career, but he still has a great deal of talent to offer. There just seems to be an unrealistic level of expectation placed upon him. All of the greatest songwriters (Dylan, Neil Young, Bowie, Lennon, Springsteen) produced their best work fairly early in their careers; I guess there is an urgency, an energy, and a sense of hope in youth that just can't be sustained. More importantly, each generation is searching for its own poet, so maintaining relevance is difficult. Additionally, as others have stated, the music industry has been in a free-fall over the past two decades, so the promotion of any artist who doesn't have the potential to be a mass-marketing cash cow becomes increasingly less likely. That being said, Morrissey has managed to continuously create beautiful music for four consecutive decades, and not many other artists can make that claim.

I also agree with you about the negativity; I would imagine that's why some long time posters don't contribute anymore (You can have diverse opinions without turning every thread into a back-biting shit storm). Music should be a diversion from the bullshit of everyday life; it shouldn't add to your misery. As you said, if it doesn't move you emotionally in some way, wouldn't the rational, healthy reaction be to find something or someone that does? Personally, I'm hoping that we get new music from Morrissey, somehow, but if that never happens, the collective work that we have is amazing. He's given us his best; he really owes us nothing.

lynnda

He doesn't owe us anything, that much is true (I have said so myself in the past and I haven't changed my mind).
He owes it to himself to maintain a semblance of dignity as he enters what you describe as the sunset of his career.

I never said he was finished, I said his time in the limelight is over, he is more than capable of writing and recording another brilliant album.
The point I was trying to make is that the constant raging against the music industry and the state of music in general is not going to get him anywhere at this point, nor is selling his face to companies such as Supreme.
I think all of us, as fans, have got the message long ago, no need to keep repeating it. In doing so, Moz comes ever closer to becoming a caricature of one of the crashing bores he rallies against.

As for Quarry, Refusal, etc being better than Kill Uncle, Southpaw, etc, there is no much point going there. It's far too subjective, there is no right and wrong. I will say I disagree though, but that's just my point of view.

Finally, if you don't like to see negative comments and criticism aimed at Moz, there is a readily available solution for you, it's called allyouneedismorrissey.com, and it's dull as dishwater.
You don't need to endure all the negativity.
I personally prefer to have my Moz related discussions, debates and sometimes heated exchanges here. The good, the bad and the ugly.

While it is certainly true that it is subjective. There is also no question that Morrissey's last four albums have all received much better critical receptions than Kill Uncle, Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted.

While it is certainly true that it is subjective. There is also no question that Morrissey's last four albums have all received much better critical receptions than Kill Uncle, Southpaw Grammar and Maladjusted.
And had much better chart performances. Moz is certainly in a much better position, career-wise, now than he was in, say, 1997.

anathematization of the world is not an adequate response to the world. ;) (donald barthelme)

what i would like to know is who the hell said anyone is supposed to be happy? there's this idea never more prevalent than in the 20th and 21st centuries that the greatest good in life, the whole reason for existing, is happiness, and that we all must come to it in the same prescribed ways, and if it eludes you than you've somehow failed in life. this is a deplorably unbalanced way of thinking, and has goes a long way, i think, toward creating much unhappiness--both in the depressive (whos unhappiness it no doubt compounds by the idea that there's something wrong with them, that they're missing out, by not being happy) and in the average person by instilling such an aversion and fear of unhappiness, that happiness becomes it's own opposite. to me this is not a very humanistic way of thinking: the idea that humans should by all means be happy, that they should reject suffering. because what happens is that when you reject suffering you're rejecting your own humanity, so much of which is based on suffering and struggle. suffering, make no mistake, is at the heart of everything. and people who think themselves happy or that put pressure on themselves to be happy are most likely latently unhappy. i find it really hard to believe that, for example, people who lead these suburban lives (sordid suburbia i call it, wrote a great essay on it once wherein my professor called me a future nobel prize winning writer *smug*) revolving around children and barbeques and soccer games are actually happy unless they're extraordinarily simple folk. in any case, a life like that can never afford real joy, the kind that bypasses such pedestrian ideas of happiness and doesnt depend on any cliche conditions for it's existance; the kind that you cant find in any of the familiar places, because like all things of any value it creates itself. and one of the keys to real joy is the refinement of emotion and the exquisiteness of the expression of that emotion--all emotions. which is why many artist who are said to be tortured souls are also said to experience moments of real joy and ecstasy which ordinary people with their mediocre ideas can never experience. and id much rather lead a raw ragged life with despair as my only companion in pursuit of the refinement of feeling than lead a boring borgeois life, where success in life is based upon the principle of being very very good at being very very mediocre. anyone who is so coarse as to believe that deserves to be unhappy.

Well thought out rifke, this actually could be a future TTY post.... I am sure Morrissey and you agree on every word you just said. He often says , "in the end, we are alone". I don't agree totally though, friendship with the right person can be very joyful, someone who exposes you to new and interesting things. Clothes shopping with Mozza WOULD be fun, but he makes a great model.

And had much better chart performances. Moz is certainly in a much better position, career-wise, now than he was in, say, 1997.

Yes, if you overlook the fact that he was signed and released an album on a major label in 1997. As a recording artist, how is being unsigned - with seemingly no immediate contract prospects in sight - a better position than being signed to a major label and releasing an album?

Leave aside the fact that Maladjusted was not objectively his best album, charted lower than previous releases, and he was dropped because of a corporate merger the following year. He was signed, released an album, and recorded some of the finest songs of his solo career in 1997. He did none of these in 2015 and does not appear poised to do so in 2016.

Last edited:

But I am not interested in what the critics have to say/write.
Critics have been generally scathing of List Of The Lost, yet I like the book, critics generally agree that the likes of Sam Smith and Taylor Swift are excellent, well I just don't see it, I do not like what they produce.
So to me it doesn't really matter what critics think, what matters is what I like/dislike, and this is why I say that ranking one album above another is highly subjective.
Morrissey ranks World Peace... above everything else he ever recorded, well I disagree, and in this particular instance we all know he is lying to himself.

Yes, if you overlook the fact that he was signed and released an album on a major label in 1997. As a recording artist, how is being unsigned - with seemingly no immediate contract prospects in sight - a better position than being signed to a major label and releasing an album?

Leave aside the fact that Maladjusted was not objectively his best album, charted lower than previous releases, and he was dropped because of a corporate merger the following year. He was signed, released an album, and recorded some of the finest songs of his solo career in 1997. He did none of these in 2015 and does not appear poised to do so in 2016.
You overlook the fact that in 2015 he played in front of much more people than in 1997, in much bigger venues, at much higher ticket prizes. That he actually had Blondie open for him would be unheard of in 1997.
You also overlook the fact that after he released a badly received album on a major in 1997 he was SEVEN long years without label, playing in mostly small venues and where no one, least of all Morrissey himself, was sure where his career was heading next.

You overlook the fact that in 2015 he played in front of much more people than in 1997, in much bigger venues, at much higher ticket prizes. That he actually had Blondie open for him would be unheard of in 1997.
You also overlook the fact that after he released a badly received album on a major in 1997 he was SEVEN long years without label, playing in mostly small venues and where no one, least of all Morrissey himself, was sure where his career was heading next.

In 2015, like it or not, his concert draw was largely as a legacy act, i.e., the majority of people came to hear "Suedehead, "Now My Heart Is Full," Smiths songs. Yes, I understand there are always exceptions; someone quibbled with this point that it wasn't their truth in another thread. But BY AND LARGE: the audiences came to hear those songs rather than "World Peace Is None of Your Business" or "Kiss Me A Lot." He also played more festivals, which, by definition, meant he played before more people. Having Blondie appear at Madison Square Garden was a canny move - they were a local favorite that guaranteed more tickets sold.

What happens AFTER has no bearing on my post - I am simply comparing 2016 (really 2015 and spare change) to 1997, factually. How can you predict that it may not be ANOTHER seven years - or longer - after World Peace before he records again? We're already going on two this year.

You can make at least a plausible case for his live fortunes being better now. But there is really no convincing argument that his recording career and its future prospects have ever been bleaker.

In 2015, like it or not, his concert draw was largely as a legacy act, i.e., the majority of people came to hear "Suedehead, "Now My Heart Is Full," Smiths songs. Yes, I understand there are always exceptions; someone quibbled with this point that it wasn't their truth in another thread. But BY AND LARGE: the audiences came to hear those songs rather than "World Peace Is None of Your Business" or "Kiss Me A Lot." He also played more festivals, which, by definition, meant he played before more people. Having Blondie appear at Madison Square Garden was a canny move - they were a local favorite that guaranteed more tickets sold.

What happens AFTER has no bearing on my post - I am simply comparing 2016 (really 2015 and spare change) to 1997, factually. How can you predict that it may not be ANOTHER seven years - or longer - after World Peace before he records again? We're already going on two this year.

You can make at least a plausible case for his live fortunes being better now. But there is really no convincing argument that his recording career and its future prospects have ever been bleaker.

your comments are always accurate :thumb:

'I am most proud to see how the song 'World peace is none of your business' has struck such strong emotion in people across the world.'

I did not notice a particularly fervent reaction when this song was played in the last few UK gigs I attended, neither in 2014 (just after the album was released) nor in 2015. In fact, I remember looking around and seeing several people either checking their phones or chatting with friends.
This in stark contrast to the reception What She Said or Alma Matters got for example, christ even I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris was received like some long lost gem not heard in aeons.
This to me speaks volumes as to how World Peace... was really received by his audience, at least his UK audience.

I think there is one thing that you are overlooking though. Back in 1997 the general feeling in the press was that Morrissey was entirely obsolete and irrelevant. He didn't even have the status of a legacy act and it looked like his career was all but over.

Now despite the criticisms that Morrissey has received more recently, the general feeling towards him is nothing like as negative as it was in 1997 as anyone who was around at that time will testify.

Back
Top Bottom