Twitter's @officialmoz distances itself from Morrissey

Well done marketing geniuses.
After days of press coverage of Morrissey 'finally getting a Twitter account' - the @officialmoz handle added this to the profile:

40795_twitter_ss.jpg

'Official Moz Info. Not Moz.'

I'm sure we all knew it wasn't actually a non-marketing account, but way to undermine some positive press for a change.

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
It feels like they’ve sort of got the damage limitation under control.

I just remember the last time when he himself came out and said it wasn't him. It made the whole thing an issue and a distraction I thought. I don't really think about twitter much but when the posters above talked about the attention the first tweet got, which I noticed, and then the clarification it just made me think "hey they probably did that on purpose" and I thought it smart. I just think the roll out with bmg has been pretty well done all around and Im glad and to the reliefs all of our collective nerves to not see any signs of arguing or forth coming bust ups with the label

How exactly is this distance? Anyone with a brain knows this twitter account was set up by the record company.

The point was simple. The general twitter reaction to @officialmoz was that it was Morrissey coming on to Twitter.
Many people reacted as such and stated that they were excited as it was interesting to see what he was going to say...including the media - who encouraged the idea more than indicate how it wasn't him.
Yes, as already pointed out, it was obvious to us jaded types that it wasn't really him (although him clearly using FB 'official' when he wanted to rant doesn't help that assertion - it clouds it).
Changing the profile to include 'not Moz' info a few days later is a tad disingenuous and not honest from the outset - there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of people tagging @officialmoz as if it was him. That's not quite the honesty is the best policy ideal suggested in this thread.
The changing of the profile description is clearly a form of distancing for the average follower.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
He was looking to be on Twitter and then he found himself on Twitter.

The point was simple. The general twitter reaction to @officialmoz was that it was Morrissey coming on to Twitter.
Many people reacted as such and stated that they were excited as it was interesting to see what he was going to say...including the media - who encouraged the idea more than indicate how it wasn't him.
Yes, as already pointed out, it was obvious to us jaded types that it wasn't really him (although him clearly using FB 'official' when he wanted to rant doesn't help that assertion - it clouds it).
Changing the profile to include 'not Moz' info a few days later is a tad disingenuous and not honest from the outset - there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of people tagging @officialmoz as if it was him. That's not quite the honesty is the best policy ideal suggested in this thread.
The changing of the profile description is clearly a form of distancing for the average follower.
Regards,
FWD.

I don't think people tag @officialmoz because they think it's him in person. They tag him because it's a verified account. That has to mean something. The info they share has to be true. Lots of verified accounts are managed by other people.

Non-story. Most artists have label-run "official" Twitter, Facebook, etc. pages, and the assumption is generally that the artist is not directly running those pages. Clarifying that the social media page is not directly run by the artist is not "distancing itself from Morrissey," which implies some kind of falling out or problem. Rather, it's a good sign that Morrissey's label and/or management have social media promotion for him and the new album. Why choose to read this as a problem when it's not?

Well done marketing geniuses.
After days of press coverage of Morrissey 'finally getting a Twitter account' - the @officialmoz handle added this to the profile:

40795_twitter_ss.jpg

'Official Moz Info. Not Moz.'

I'm sure we all knew it wasn't actually a non-marketing account, but way to undermine some positive press for a change.

Regards,
FWD.

If you look at the press headlines on the day, you will see people being told it's him. I think you will find the verified mark is actually ascribed to the person being real in most cases - the main selling point of Twitter. I've been using Twitter since late '06 - people's general expectation was to be closer to a celebrity not a corporate portal. The biggest 'celebs' are renowned for tweeting themselves - millions of examples are not required. The media played on that idea well:

"Morrissey joins Twitter and shares typically droll first tweets!"
"Former Smiths frontman joins Twitter."
"Morrissey is now on Twitter and his first tweet is perfect."
"Here is Morrissey's first tweet."
"It looks like Morrissey finally got himself a Twitter account."
"Congratulations Morrissey on having a Twitter." (ironically Stereogum's).
"Morrissey joins Twitter - what can we expect?"
"Morrissey joins Twitter - can his suffering fit in to 140 characters?"
"So Morrissey has a Twitter account."
"The More You Retweet Me, The Closer I Get: Morrissey has joined Twitter."
"Rejoice, Morrissey has joined Twitter."
"Revisiting celebrities' awkward first tweets, in honor of Morrissey's twitter debut."
"Morrissey joins Twitter and tells the world he 'spent the day in bed.' "
"Wait, is Morrissey on Twitter?"
"Morrissey tweets for the first time and it was peak Morrissey."
"Morrissey just joined Twitter and wrote his first two tweets."
"What kind of celebrity tweeter will Morrissey be?"
"Morrissey posts first official message on Twitter."
All the above plus a blue tick = Joe public thinking it's him. Exactly what happened with the World Peace "Planet Earth, are you there? One can only hope..." tweet without even being verified.

Strangely, a day after the post here about the change to the profile information...
The 'non-story' becomes a story:

Stereogum:
Morrissey Twitter Makes It Official: “Not Moz.”
https://www.stereogum.com/1963949/morrissey-twitter-makes-it-official-not-moz/news/

Spin:
Thank God, Morrissey Is Not Running His Own Twitter.
https://www.spin.com/2017/09/twitter-is-not-real-morrissey/

Anyway, I've said my bit.
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
I don't think people tag @officialmoz because they think it's him in person. They tag him because it's a verified account. That has to mean something. The info they share has to be true. Lots of verified accounts are managed by other people.

It's a mix of both

Non-story. Most artists have label-run "official" Twitter, Facebook, etc. pages, and the assumption is generally that the artist is not directly running those pages. Clarifying that the social media page is not directly run by the artist is not "distancing itself from Morrissey," which implies some kind of falling out or problem. Rather, it's a good sign that Morrissey's label and/or management have social media promotion for him and the new album. Why choose to read this as a problem when it's not?
Reporting a change to the profile is not 'reading anything as a problem' it was informing people of a change - which, given the history of 'is it or isn't it' seems appropriate. My own personal view is it should have been clear from the outset.
The list of top 100 most popular Twitter accounts (minus things like YouTube, CNN, Instagram accs) are run by the actual account holders. That was a basic premise of Twitter. People are rewriting history to allow for corporate accounts posing as real people - their verification process specifically states corporate accounts be clearly delineated from personal ones prior to the verification process.
It's not implying a problem, it's reflecting yet more confusion in the Morrissey social media story that has continued to be fraught with changes and misinformation.
Your opinion on what is or isn't 'distancing' is exactly that - not some overarching 'correct' view I just can't see.
FWD.

It does mean something. It means he has a record coming out. Hopefully whatever they post is legit and Morrissey knows about it beforehand.

New tweet..... TMYIM video for some reason

Back
Top Bottom