Unloading my (modest) vault of Smiths/Morrissey unreleased versions

God this has to be better than some of Morrissey's albums, East West is a cracking song!!! Why on earth didn't Morrissey use the song is beyond belief to me....I'm trying to write some lyrics to those instrumental versions, they sound rather nice

God this has to be better than some of Morrissey's albums, East West is a cracking song!!! Why on earth didn't Morrissey use the song is beyond belief to me....I'm trying to write some lyrics to those instrumental versions, they sound rather nice

What do you mean "didn't use the song"? It was a B-side to the "Ouija Board" single. Or are you pointing out that he never played it live?

There is no available monitor mix of The More You Ignore Me. There are however several hours of tape of Woodie Taylor and Steve Lillywhite pacing back and forth trying to figure out how to make the drums sound even softer and more emasculated.

As for Suedehead, better to ask Vini Reilly, as he wrote all of Viva Hate, every Smiths track, all Moz's solo stuff up through Maladjusted, as well as the first third of The Bible.

Journalists Who Lie? Hmm, can't help you there. I do hear tell of an answerphone message to Morrissey from an HMV exec who had just heard the track, though, wherein the words can be heard, "are you f***ing kidding us?"

Brilliant! Funniest post of the week. Needed, after a particularly shite day.

Great nuggets indeed and many, many thanks. I particularly like the more reggae-fied early Rubber Ring...

Is it just me or does Morrissey's voice sound strannge on the alternate Frankly, Mr. Shankly - like a high-pitched Morrissey robot!?

I do really like the additional trumpet parts which add even more kitchen sink colour to the track, something I would have previously thought was barely possible.
Sounds to me like the tape was played slightly fast when it was captured.

Love the alternative "Rubber Ring" though the original is such a classic.

Sounds to me like the tape was played slightly fast when it was captured.

Maybe it's me, but it sounds like he's trying to do a George Formby impression: high, rapid and clipped.

This song has always made me think of George Formby, though.

In a good way. :)

There is no available monitor mix of The More You Ignore Me. There are however several hours of tape of Woodie Taylor and Steve Lillywhite pacing back and forth trying to figure out how to make the drums sound even softer and more emasculated.

As for Suedehead, better to ask Vini Reilly, as he wrote all of Viva Hate, every Smiths track, all Moz's solo stuff up through Maladjusted, as well as the first third of The Bible.

Journalists Who Lie? Hmm, can't help you there. I do hear tell of an answerphone message to Morrissey from an HMV exec who had just heard the track, though, wherein the words can be heard, "are you f***ing kidding us?"

lol thanks :lbf: so no-one can shed any light?

First:
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Second:
After hearing this "full version" of Take me back to dear old Blighty, I've noticed that the old warsong has many similarities to There is a light that never goes out. Many of you probably noticed this ages ago but it took me 20 years+. It also fits perfectly that the two are the opening/closing number on The Queen is dead.

Care to compare?

Blighty: Take me back to dear old Blighty, put me on the train for London town
TIALTNGO: Take me out tonight

Blighty: Take me over there, drop me anywhere
Liverpool, Leeds, or Birmingham, well I don't care

TIALTNGO: Take me anywhere, I don't care, I don't care

Blighty: I should love to see my best girl, cuddling up again we soon should be
TIALTNGO: Because I want to see people and I want to see life

Blighty: Hurry me home to Blighty, Blighty is the place for me!
TIALTNGO: I never never want to go home because I haven't got one anymore

Is dear old Blighty/England the light that never goes out?

After hearing this "full version" of Take me back to dear old Blighty, I've noticed that the old warsong has many similarities to There is a light that never goes out. Many of you probably noticed this ages ago but it took me 20 years+. It also fits perfectly that the two are the opening/closing number on The Queen is dead.

Incorrect. ;)

The demo of Suffer Little Children in Smiths Rarities.rar is not from the Decibel sessions. The Decibel version has a long piano part at the end.

I'd guess that the demo was a Troy Tate version, but I don't have them on hand to compare.

Was always assumed it was the Decimal one but with a fade-out making it shorter, are you sure that's not the case?

Was always assumed it was the Decimal one but with a fade-out making it shorter, are you sure that's not the case?

the book mentions that the track was much longer ...
it also mentions a voice over ... perhaps that came after the
early fade out ...

if this isnt the the decibel version, then what is it?
its not the troy tate version, thats for sure ...
its air of slight incompetence makes me think its the decibel version

Tags
brilliant
Back
Top Bottom