what do you think of my painting?

jrmions

:] photo.JPG

He has a pointy forehead on the left. Otherwise you captured his likeness, not easy with paint.

It's better than I could do; then again I've never painted...anyway it's passable but it's very amateur.

There's nothing wrong with amateur, mind you -some people progress, some stay that way- unless you take a picture of your amateur work and trot it out to the masses on an internet forum asking for comments and views and (shhhh) praise.

Kind of like a 13 year old girl who has mosquito bites for tits and wears halter tops. Same mentality.

Don't let anyone stop you from working. This painting shows you are working with modeling, using shadow and light to make the two dimensional surface appear to have depth. You're at a disadvantage working from a photo because it's obviously flat and a reproduction of a reproduction having lost much quality of the original. It's also probably smaller than your canvas.

All that means you're filling in a lot of things that are difficult to see in the original. You would be better to spend your time working from life, people sitting in front of you, so that you learn more about how to show form and weight and dimension, and to give them a presence. That's all very hard to do working from a photo.

As far as what you've done people will be critical since we're mostly all familiar with the source photo. You've gotten his features a little off. It has hope, but it seems like a sketch that needs to be repainted into or else move to the next one and then observe your progress. There are infinite ways to interpret the original photo but, if you didn't, you should have gotten a pretty good contour drawing in pencil to get started anyway.

Keep working. It's obviously a student work so the point is to learn and get better. Good luck.

Don't let anyone stop you from working. This painting shows you are working with modeling, using shadow and light to make the two dimensional surface appear to have depth. You're at a disadvantage working from a photo because it's obviously flat and a reproduction of a reproduction having lost much quality of the original. It's also probably smaller than your canvas.

All that means you're filling in a lot of things that are difficult to see in the original. You would be better to spend your time working from life, people sitting in front of you, so that you learn more about how to show form and weight and dimension, and to give them a presence. That's all very hard to do working from a photo.

As far as what you've done people will be critical since we're mostly all familiar with the source photo. You've gotten his features a little off. It has hope, but it seems like a sketch that needs to be repainted into or else move to the next one and then observe your progress. There are infinite ways to interpret the original photo but, if you didn't, you should have gotten a pretty good contour drawing in pencil to get started anyway.

Keep working. It's obviously a student work so the point is to learn and get better. Good luck.

Or she could get a picture projector...I have one. You basically hang a blank canvas on the wall, put the projector on the picture you want to use and it projects it onto the canvas at any size you want. It comes in handy when I paint things.

Or she could get a picture projector...I have one. You basically hang a blank canvas on the wall, put the projector on the picture you want to use and it projects it onto the canvas at any size you want. It comes in handy when I paint things.

She could probably buy a quality print of the original photo and learn to do something useful instead of being an artist.

Looks great!

Back
Top Bottom