What or who is keeping The Smiths apart?

What does all this have to do with what I said though ? LOL you're the one that quoted me first. All you're doing is recycling facts that we all know happened. What exactly is your point on why the Smiths won't get back together darling? Speak up.

I was stating facts about The Smiths legacy...not speculating on why they broke up...

As we all know, there's been lots of talk over the years of people wanting a Smiths reunion, etc. What or who is keeping it from happening? I don't know all the ins and outs of the story - it seems like more of a personal thing than a money thing?

Are any of The Smiths members civil to eachother nowadays?

Just curious because like The Police, Sting was keeping them from reuniting. I'm assuming it's a little more complicated with The Smiths' story.

The Smiths aged 50 has no appeal to Moz. Would you go back to the job you did when you were 20?

That was why I asked about the money thing. Thanks for the link - what hell Morrissey has endured. Didn't Andy Rourke sue them after Mike did? I thought I read that somewhere.

Also, I think in one article I read that even when Morrissey does Smiths songs live today, Mike has his goons hovering over - is that true?

Anyway, I don't care if there's a Smiths reunion personally. Morrissey plays all my fav Smiths tunes live anyway, so it's all good. I was just curious what the deal was with it.

Wow, you lot are a hard bunch -- I'd be totally thrilled if The Smiths reunited, or even (perhaps moreso) if a new act called Morrissey & Marr came about. They wouldn't have to relive the past, they're both still very creative people and not elderly by any means.

Wow, you lot are a hard bunch -- I'd be totally thrilled if The Smiths reunited, or even (perhaps moreso) if a new act called Morrissey & Marr came about. They wouldn't have to relive the past, they're both still very creative people and not elderly by any means.

I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing Morrissey and Marr together again, but if it doesn't happen - it's ok, too.

Johnny Marr himself said it a few days ago... There's a recent thread this week about it, saying that despite of the large sums of money he's been offered, he won't join a possible Smiths reunion ever...

I would be there in a heartbeat if the Smiths reformed. I'd probably have to go into massive debt for it but it would be worth it.

I personally would love to see them reform (having never seen them live) but I doubt this will happen. Joyce seems to have ruined it with the constant lawsuits, nagging etc.

I can't remember where I read it but I thought Marr joined Modest Mouse so he could "be in a band again"......it sounded like he wouldn't mind reforming the Smiths but Moz won't allow it because of the Joyce issue.

F'ing Mike..........drop it....you've got enough $ already.....Andy's the one who should be suing!

Re: What or who is keeping The Smiths apart? is the fact that they don't need to or want to!

Didn't Andy Rourke sue them after Mike did? I thought I read that somewhere.

Also, I think in one article I read that even when Morrissey does Smiths songs live today, Mike has his goons hovering over - is that true?

Anyone know? Thanks

Anyone know? Thanks

For the Last Time...

Mike did not WRITE any Smiths songs therefore he gets NO MONEY off any Smiths songs Morrissey performs...

There are two types of Royalites...

Performance Royalties...which are paid to all band members for the RECORDING of the song they played on...

Songwriting Royalties..which are paid to the WRITERS of the song any time ANYONE records the song that they wrote....

Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

For the Last Time...

Mike did not WRITE any Smiths songs therefore he gets NO MONEY off any Smiths songs Morrissey performs...

There are two types of Royalites...

Performance Royalties...which are paid to all band members for the RECORDING of the song they played on...

Songwriting Royalties..which are paid to the WRITERS of the song any time ANYONE records the song that they wrote....

Why is that so difficult to comprehend?

Yes but this wouldn't affect Mike setting his lawyers onto Morrissey at live gigs because I presume legally he is trying to get back money owed. He is not after money owed to him for that specific gig.

Yes but this wouldn't affect Mike setting his lawyers onto Morrissey at live gigs because I presume legally he is trying to get back money owed. He is not after money owed to him for that specific gig.

That would be harrassment and I doubt Morrissey would tolerate it....I sincerly doubt Joyce's lawyers would be allowed anywhere near a Morrissey show...You think Mike has the money to pay for their travel expenses?

You're making Joyce sound like a Nosterafu.....

That would be harrassment and I doubt Morrissey would tolerate it....I sincerly doubt Joyce's lawyers would be allowed anywhere near a Morrissey show...You think Mike has the money to pay for their travel expenses?

You're making Joyce sound like a Nosterafu.....

Well then you are calling Morrissey a liar because he has specifically said he has had Joyce's legal team trying to issue him with summons after gigs. He is not so important that he can prevent them trying to do that.

Well then you are calling Morrissey a liar because he has specifically said he has had Joyce's legal team trying to issue him with summons after gigs. He is not so important that he can prevent them trying to do that.

Then Morrissey would be in contempt if he didn't show up for court, wouldn't he?

I think the whole thing is just absurd and prepotorus..and people have nothing better to do than Demonize Mike Joyce...

Get over it people...The Smiths would not reform even if Joyce had never sued for his equal share

performing a song for a live audience gives no one royalties. only if it is recorded and sold are royalties assured. morrissey covering bowie songs doesn't send bowie a check.

I don't know where you all get your info. I guess it would all depend on what kind of rights to the music Joyce gets. But, yes - people do get paid when their songs are played live on TV, Radio, by other artist, etc. It's not that cut and dry. Now, monitoring what gets played where is another issue.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties7.htm

As I said Joyce only gets Royalties for The RECORDINGS he played on...

He did not WRITE any Smiths songs and therefore gets no ROYALITES from any Morrissey "live" released Smiths songs...only Sweet And Tender Hooligan...which he played on...

Although, I'm not even sure about that one since..as a session player he may have only gotten a one time fee...

Back
Top Bottom