What (some) judges say about rape

Of course, it all isn't that simple. But it was safer to walk down the street then. I can't help but feel that people were a bit more tolerant of their fellow man, and less likely to commit murder in cold bold.

This reminded me of the experience that a transgender minister in my city talked about in April. He was born (female) in 1939 and was raped in the streets by numerous men; they wanted to "teach" her what it meant to be a woman: having sex with men/being dominated by men (and therefore, she could not possibly be a lesbian - much less a man later on - etc.) Anyway, that would have been about 50 yrs. ago!
They were tough times and people were certainly not tolerant. Don't get me started on my red-headed grandpa from Macon (I'm pretty sure he never raped or killed anyone, though!...unless you count blowing up 'gators, which I do); my mom's grandpa was shot dead by a man who thought he was someone else (supposedly)...
I think people were plenty likely to commit murder if they thought they could get away with it - which they could if they killed someone who "deserved it".
I'm a very nostalgic person, so I have to remind myself of things like this.:o
If we could have modern liberalism and the privacy and pace of yesteryear, that would be grand...

P.S. Chica, I think you will be pleased to know it was the prostitutes who safeguarded the future minister during the rest of her time on the streets (from being kicked out of the home by family). They were tolerant of their fellow man.;)

P.S. Chica, I think you will be pleased to know it was the prostitutes who safeguarded the future minister during the rest of her time on the streets (from being kicked out of the home by family). They were tolerant of their fellow man.;)

No wonder we have the recurring motif of the prostitute with a heart of gold in movies :) They must be on to something!

No wonder we have the recurring motif of the prostitute with a heart of gold in movies :) They must be on to something!
Ooh, someone should make a movie about the transgender minister. :D

It's nice to see we still have those in favor of "an eye for an eye" in this world. I would hate to live in a nation that had such an unusual punishment even for some sick child rapist. I would like to see some sort of greater accomplishment at ridding the world of these terrible people. The simple fact is that sometimes we just want to see the bad guys burn (which is justifiable) as opposed to getting genuine justice by studying the minds and psyches of violent people. Maybe if we looked into this stuff more, as opposed to simply using lethal punishment, we'd significantly reduce things like child rape and serial killings via birth screening. Of course birth screening wouldn't prevent everything, but it seems that many of these people are genetically predisposed to this behaviour and their upbringing determines if these traits become violent tendencies. It would explain why the USA has so many serial killers, compared to the the rest of the world.

Yes lets spend millions of pounds training people to study the murky depths of their minds.Lets not think about giving something back to the victims and offering them help.Lets delve into their childhoods and blame their insane parents or see if a knock on the head caused their madness.

What rubbish.

If your'e insane not a lot is going to stop you even thr threat of the death penalty.But there will be paedophiles,rapists and murderers out there that just might balk at commiting their henious crimes if the outcome was the electric chair or whatever.

I cannot for the life of me understand what is the matter with this world.If you take a life...a precious child to someone.....if you deliberately set out to kill someone or rape someone(which to some people is worse than death)...then you should have forfeited all your "rights" as a human being.

That's why there's so much knife voilence in the UK now.If the people with the knives were forced to put something back into society instead of taking and there was the death penalty....some,not all,might think twice.

I don't condone the death penalty, but I think a life sentence should be exactly that - 'you will be in this prison until your life is over'. The fact that a rapist got off scot-free due to age is revolting.

It's nice to see we still have those in favor of "an eye for an eye" in this world. I would hate to live in a nation that had such an unusual punishment even for some sick child rapist. I would like to see some sort of greater accomplishment at ridding the world of these terrible people. The simple fact is that sometimes we just want to see the bad guys burn (which is justifiable) as opposed to getting genuine justice by studying the minds and psyches of violent people. Maybe if we looked into this stuff more, as opposed to simply using lethal punishment, we'd significantly reduce things like child rape and serial killings via birth screening. Of course birth screening wouldn't prevent everything, but it seems that many of these people are genetically predisposed to this behaviour and their upbringing determines if these traits become violent tendencies. It would explain why the USA has so many serial killers, compared to the the rest of the world.

Can you imagine what your reaction would be if someone raped or murdered your child?

Can you imagine what your reaction would be if someone raped or murdered your child?

Yes when you have children your opinions change.Radically.I often think people who have opinions so against capital punishment often change their minds when the thought of their own child being raped and murdered is put to them.

Take Robert Black.He has killed several little girls after premeditated rape.He has a quality of life in prison.He's fed and will have things to occupy his days.a clean cell and clothes.He should be six foot under.

I'm reading about him right now. It's a shame his mother didn't have an abortion instead. I wonder how many of these dysfunctional individuals were wanted children well taken care of?

This reminded me of the experience that a transgender minister in my city talked about in April. He was born (female) in 1939 and was raped in the streets by numerous men; they wanted to "teach" her what it meant to be a woman: having sex with men/being dominated by men (and therefore, she could not possibly be a lesbian - much less a man later on - etc.) Anyway, that would have been about 50 yrs. ago!
They were tough times and people were certainly not tolerant. Don't get me started on my red-headed grandpa from Macon (I'm pretty sure he never raped or killed anyone, though!...unless you count blowing up 'gators, which I do); my mom's grandpa was shot dead by a man who thought he was someone else (supposedly)...
I think people were plenty likely to commit murder if they thought they could get away with it - which they could if they killed someone who "deserved it".
I'm a very nostalgic person, so I have to remind myself of things like this.:o
If we could have modern liberalism and the privacy and pace of yesteryear, that would be grand...

Wouldn't being a transgender minister a contradiction? Ministers are supposed to believe God is infallible, and yet...obviously they believe he made a mistake in assigning them the wrong gender.

Wouldn't being a transgender minister a contradiction? Ministers are supposed to believe God is infallible, and yet...obviously they believe he made a mistake in assigning them the wrong gender.

There's many different branches of religion, some of which accept and embrace gay or transgendered ministers.

There's many different branches of religion, some of which accept and embrace gay or transgendered ministers.

Yes, I know LOL. I was referring to the minister having to accept the fact that God is Fallible.

Of course, it all isn't that simple. But it was safer to walk down the street then. I can't help but feel that people were a bit more tolerant of their fellow man, and less likely to commit murder in cold bold.

But was it really safer? It depends on how far back you want to go, and I'm sure throughout the ages, crime, and violent crime will go up and down. I think it would be highly unlikely for it to be a constant percentage etc. Maybe what has really changed, and what has increased is perception of crime and violent crime. One fact, is that we live in a highly concentrated media world, and the world may seem more like a goldfish bowl these days than yesteryear. If you think of all the institutional rape that has occurred int he past century and was hushed up, untill recently, I feel it can be argued that perception of violent crime was less, 50 years ago.

Yes lets spend millions of pounds training people to study the murky depths of their minds.Lets not think about giving something back to the victims and offering them help.Lets delve into their childhoods and blame their insane parents or see if a knock on the head caused their madness.

What rubbish.

If your'e insane not a lot is going to stop you even thr threat of the death penalty.But there will be paedophiles,rapists and murderers out there that just might balk at commiting their henious crimes if the outcome was the electric chair or whatever.

I cannot for the life of me understand what is the matter with this world.If you take a life...a precious child to someone.....if you deliberately set out to kill someone or rape someone(which to some people is worse than death)...then you should have forfeited all your "rights" as a human being.

That's why there's so much knife voilence in the UK now.If the people with the knives were forced to put something back into society instead of taking and there was the death penalty....some,not all,might think twice.

I'm not sure capital punishment solves anything otherwise Texas should be a rape free zone. It isn't. If rapist / paedophilies are genetically created, the threat of an electric chair would be futile as they are "naturally" compelled to do such acts. If you don't think this is the cause, than maybe research into the minds of killers / paedos etc do have a point and may be useful in eradicting such behaviour. Money and support to victims is also an important part, and should never be over-looked, but that's a different debate on Government spends. I'm also sure, as a layman scientist, that if you was messed around as a kid, that will affect your future behaviour and how you see others and act etc.

Also, there has been many wrong decisions in regards to murder case etc. What if you hung someone and a year later, evidence pops up that shows he / she was innocent? Do we then hang the Judge and jurors for taking the life of an innocent man / woman and the suffering of his / her family? I agree with Sir Alec, I don't believe in an eye for an eye, however, the sentences handed out by the judges in the link, are of course, idiotic.

What rubbish.

Why can't we prevent and punish? Psychological research could potentially prevent the children from getting raped in the first place and we could still have a lethal punishment for child rapists, serial killers, and psychopaths.

Also, the death penalty for just any violent crime is not going to make anyone think twice before they stab someone in a street fight. Te death penalty is trivial to many because not everyone who is convicted of 1st degree murder here in the states is actually guilty of their crimes. The error rate of prejudicial mistakes in the criminal justice system's death sentencing was determined to be around 68%. Also, about half of all capital cases could easily be thrown out because of clear court misconduct. I say we only have the death penalty for the most serious of crimes, such as serial rape and murder, instead of crimes of passion.

EDIT: Yeah, those judges are complete fools. I think we should be doing some real Clockwork Orange style work on these guys. Haha!

Psychological research could potentially prevent the children from getting raped in the first place and we could still have a lethal punishment for child rapists, serial killers, and psychopaths.

I say we only have the death penalty for the most serious of crimes, such as serial rape and murder, instead of crimes of passion.

But weren't you against capital punishment? :confused:

Why can't we prevent and punish? Psychological research could potentially prevent the children from getting raped in the first place and we could still have a lethal punishment for child rapists, serial killers, and psychopaths.

Also, the death penalty for just any violent crime is not going to make anyone think twice before they stab someone in a street fight. Te death penalty is trivial to many because not everyone who is convicted of 1st degree murder here in the states is actually guilty of their crimes. The error rate of prejudicial mistakes in the criminal justice system's death sentencing was determined to be around 68%. Also, about half of all capital cases could easily be thrown out because of clear court misconduct. I say we only have the death penalty for the most serious of crimes, such as serial rape and murder, instead of crimes of passion.

EDIT: Yeah, those judges are complete fools. I think we should be doing some real Clockwork Orange style work on these guys. Haha!

I'd be for all you say if prisons were harsher.Think of all the hard labour a prisoner could be put to.

In the UK a life sentence is often 15 years and with good behavior many are elligable for parole after seven.

The death penalty ofcourse is not the answer for every crime.I never said it was.But it is retribution for the families.What is wrong with revenge?I'm all for compassion for certain people.People who have killed in defence (battered wives etc) or for helping someone young who can have a useful life one day and put something back.But not for a certain ilk of criminal.Not a cold blooded murderer or serial killer.It seems punishment is not the in thing nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom