What (some) judges say about rape

I'd be for all you say if prisons were harsher.Think of all the hard labour a prisoner could be put to.

In the UK a life sentence is often 15 years and with good behavior many are elligable for parole after seven.

The death penalty ofcourse is not the answer for every crime.I never said it was.But it is retribution for the families.What is wrong with revenge?I'm all for compassion for certain people.People who have killed in defence (battered wives etc) or for helping someone young who can have a useful life one day and put something back.But not for a certain ilk of criminal.Not a cold blooded murderer or serial killer.It seems punishment is not the in thing nowadays.

Well, I live by the idea that revenge does not solve the worlds problems, it only adds to them.

Also, making prisons more harsh in the US would be a huge mistake. About two thirds of our prison population have not committed violent crimes. The amount of money it costs to take care of these non-violent offenders is astounding. Most of these prisoners are poor minorities from the cities that don't know how to function any other way than selling drugs, doing drugs, stealing, and committing property crimes. I am confident many of these people can be rehabilitated if we focused our energies a bit more. As for violent offenders, some of whom did defend themselves from danger and received manslaughter charges, might be considered lost causes by society, but I disagree. Just because they have taken a life or assaulted another person doesn't mean we have no use for them. Someone has to do roadwork.

Sentencing in the US and UK is strange and backwards. None of the things either of us want will ever happen if the system remains the same.

I think it's a man thing. My own father who is in his 70's and my brother-in-law, who is a criminal lawyer to make matter worse, once said that the woman Mike Tyson raped was "asking for it" by going up to his hotel room for a drink. I went ballistic and said that a woman has the right to say "no" to sex right up to the point of penetration. They looked at me as though I was stupid, which of course made me even angrier!

I think it's a man thing. My own father who is in his 70's and my brother-in-law, who is a criminal lawyer to make matter worse, once said that the woman Mike Tyson raped was "asking for it" by going up to his hotel room for a drink. I went ballistic and said that a woman has the right to say "no" to sex right up to the point of penetration. They looked at me as though I was stupid, which of course made me even angrier!

I'm a man, and I would have reacted the same as you did. *high fives*

Last edited:
2mnp4s1.jpg

does this go here or in the LOLCat thread?

Back
Top Bottom