Who's the best bass player to have worked with Morrissey?

Who's the best bass player to have worked with Morrissey?

• Andy Rourke

Votes: 36 55.4%
  • Stephen Street

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Mark Bedford

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Gary Day

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Jonny Bridgwood

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Solomon Walker

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters
well,to make a long story short,im sitting in the orpheum,show was great,and two of my ex's were there,and one of them comes up to me and says this is for you,and it is a backstage pass,so after the show i go backstage,and i know the man himself woudld never be there and is long gone but anyways i go backstage and all the band is there,free beers and booze,was a lot of fun,we all drank till 2 or 3 in the morning.

gary was hitting on my ex and i was like "no you have to!! its gary day!!!!" but alas she failed me and my dreams and chickened out.

Your dreams? You mean you want to know Gary Day's bedroom secrets?

hahaha i just thought it would have been oddly cool to know someone who slept with gary day :p

Then instead of playing six degrees to Gary Day you could play Six Inches to Gary Day. :p

Stephen Street? Had to double-check to see he indeed was "credited" with playing Bass on Viva Hate. I wonder how much he actually played.

Rourke does sort of a slap-bass style, which I like!

Andy Rourke by a country mile.

Both for the way he sounds / plays as well as the basslines themselves, Johnny Marr did not write the basslines, it was Andy and they are generally superb.

I do also like Jonny Bridgwood and the new guy seems to add something quite dynamic but Gary Day didn't do much for me.

Both for the way he sounds / plays as well as the basslines themselves, Johnny Marr did not write the basslines, it was Andy and they are generally superb.

is that true? i never heard such a thing.

still, Andy was the best. it would be stupid to say anyone else was better

Gary was the coolest and had the best "look" but almost always seemed bored to be there and content to let himself (and his basslines) blend into the background.

Solomon is great i think. he's very enthusiastic and a pretty good player as well. he really made Tomorrow come to life at those Hollywood shows last year

This is easy.

Andy Rourke every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It's actually pretty interesting to listen to bass players around the time of the late eighties and early nineties who actually site Rourke as an influence.
Mani from The Stone Roses being the most obvious example.

And you can't really say that of any of Moz's other bassists.

Sure Johnny wrote the music but it is my understanding that Andy was given (within reason) a certain amount of liberty to do with the bassline what he liked.

I believe that Marr himself has ackowledged this a few times in various interviews.

I'm not a massive Joyce fan but you have to say that if you check out video from around 1985 in particular that rythym section was TIGHT. I mean it now takes Moz 5 musicians to make (in my opinion) an inferior sound to the one 3 guys were making 20 years ago.

As I say Joyce I think could probably be bettered by either Spencer or Matt Walker but Andy I think you'd really struggle to equal and so for me he stands the test of time.

Back
Top Bottom