Have you ever attended/listened to a Morrissey soundcheck?

sistasheila

tjekket
A Smiths or Moz Sounccheck....could you sneak in?or listen to it,head pressed on door while freezing your arse off:p and can report on songs who were played there which didnt find a way on the final setlist. over the years-
I have read f. e. in the fanzine "vile" a review of the boxers tour 95 and that one some concert the band played "lifeguard sleeping girl drowning"-but without Morrissey.
which city it was i must look up again.
then someone from another (popculture)forum I am only sporadically nowadays online) did told me they sounchecked "Speedway" at berlin 2006
i had also read a story about two guys who manage to sneak into a soundcheck and report about it in a quite entertaining way in a US fanzine from 91/92

Smiths also.
beside solo also the smiths days if your memory is that good;)

Last edited:
I once managed to get in James' sound check at Freetrade Hall gig in March 1989 by accident.
There was a Smiths convention in the building which led me and a friend entered the auditoria.

If you start queuing a Morrissey gig earlier you might have a chance to hear sound check around 4pm.

We heard the soundcheck at Doncaster, January of this year. I'm sure they played Speedway, but alas without Morrissey. It was very exciting.

I heard the soundcheck at Live at the Marquee, but I think they were playing the Dolls' set, as I heard the Janis Joplin song.

Yes. It was for the Jimmy Kimmel Show in LA in May '07. They used a Morrissey stand-in to sing First of the Gang to Die which was quite entertaining to watch. I'd kill for that job.

I once managed to get in James' sound check at Freetrade Hall gig in March 1989 by accident.
There was a Smiths convention in the building which led me and a friend entered the auditoria.

If you start queuing a Morrissey gig earlier you might have a chance to hear sound check around 4pm.

And of course, Morrissey was at this gig as well (as was I).

In Tulsa 06, when they started sound checking we all listened outside and heard "God Save The Queen" with Moz on vocals.

Yes King's Lynn in 2006. It was at the Corn Exchange, which is only small and and we went down on the day as they said there would be a few tickets left. As we queued outside about 4.0pm you could hear the band playing. We waited for about 20 mins but never heard Morrissey. Luckily we got the last few tickets and a brilliant night it was.

For those of us who never have, here's a peek....

I find these clips fascinating, to see him sing with no audience to connect to. He sounds great, of course. And how cute is Boz here?

^Love this song live!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard a few soundchecks while queuing over time. G-Mex at Christmas Speedway was definitely played during it, alas no appearance on the set. Seems to be a common thing judging from previous posts.

Speedway was often played during the recent gigs sound check.
Boz finds it good for warm-up I suppose.

The very splendid Irish Budd sneaked into (or was let into) Cork Town Hall the day before the recent Cork Gig, and heard the full set rehearsed. He identified a new song, yet to be played live, which turned out to be You Say You Don't Love Me.

Peter

I've heard a few soundchecks while queuing over time. G-Mex at Christmas Speedway was definitely played during it, alas no appearance on the set. Seems to be a common thing judging from previous posts.

Yeha i heard Speedway at Glasgow SECC. I got my hopes up he would play it:o.

The very splendid Irish Budd sneaked into (or was let into) Cork Town Hall the day before the recent Cork Gig, and heard the full set rehearsed. He identified a new song, yet to be played live, which turned out to be You Say You Don't Love Me.

Peter

Very well remembered Peter.Yes indeed the above is all true and what a great time I had.I'm still a bit embarrassed at my public lack of Buzzcocks knowledge.Did I mention I met Morrissey,Boz and Jesse later that night at a Damien Dempsey concert.Ok I'm showing off now I'll stop.:D

The only one I really can say I remember was at the Morrocco Shrine in 07 when I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris was debuted and the frenzy that ensued. I also think There is a Light was soundchecked if memory serves me well

I heard this soundcheck: Oct 17 - Costa Mesa (CA), Pacific Amphitheater. I was mesmerized. He didn't sing but I kept waiting and straining to hear his voice from the parking lot, the excitement of which was worth the price of admission alone. The person I was with KEPT TALKING the whole time too so it was distracting, but it was so nice to hear the music that up to that point had been playing in my headphones day in and day out for a long time.

I remember hearing "Let Me Kiss You" and "I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris" at the Mann Center in Philadelphia back in July 2007.

nice to know the band is ready to play "Speedway" whenever Moz has the urge.

Until then, we wait.

Back
Top Bottom