Why Christian Dior?

Zenith Nadir

Senõr Member
Since the new song is being compared to this (Morrissey masterpiece), can anyone tell me why he chose to write about Christian Dior?

The whole first person / third person / try and find the hidden meaning in the lryics game is a bit of a bore, and more often than not way off the mark, but Dior IMO is a highly autobiographical song. ("Look, all you've done with your life is produce this beautiful art...")

Why Dior of all people?

because he was a fascinating clothing designer, and he truly did give his life to his art, which was fashion. his dedication set the standards for today's classical look of sophistication. he knew how to design for women, and pushed the boundaries of fashion during his time. there are only a few people in his field that have sustained such reputation for decades- chanel, givenchy, yves st laurent, and of course dior. they are key figures in one of the oldest and most widespread art forms!

Thanks Pandora. While I don't doubt that Dior was a though leader / fashion guru / etc, he still seems a peculiar choice. I know nothing about high street fashion, and the Wikipedia entry on Dior is short and bland. As much as I can glean from the page is that he came from a rich family and died when he choked on a chicken bone. And paraphrasing another site, he had a cult-like following in high society.

Last edited:
This is the one Moz song that I don't have in my collection. Can someone be a dear and help a poor Comtesse out by sending it my way, or uploading it somewhere? Thank you!!

I honestly think Christian Dior is a brilliant song and much better than the A-side in the future. Doubt many will agree with me. Should have been on the album imo :)

I think I have misunderstood the song then..I don't hear it as positive song about Dior...:confused:

Maybe you haven't Nobody's Hero. We all interpret his songs differently. I'm sure others will dissect the song yet another way.

That's just the way I see it. Seems like a highly emotional ending for the song purely to be about someone else's life.

I think I have misunderstood the song then..I don't hear it as positive song about Dior...:confused:

Christian Dior
You wasted your life
On aroma and clothes
Fabric and dyes

Christian Dior
You wasted your life
On grandeur and style
And making the poor rich smile

You could have run wild
On the backstreets of Lyon or Marseille
Reckless and legless and stoned
Impregnating women
Or kissing mad street boys from Napoli
Who couldn't even write their own name

Christian Dior
You wasted your life
Sensually stroking the weaves of a sleeve

You could have run wild
Impregnating women
Who couldn't even spell the wrong name

Christian Dior
Christian Dior

When you look at me
Failure is all that you see
I discipline my days just like
Christian Dior

I could've run loudly and proudly
All forcible entry
And morally bankrupt
And never non-violent
And drawn to what scares me
And scared of what bores me
Years alone will never be returned

Christian Dior

Lionise maverick
Design if you can
The way to just be a man
To just be a man

Christian Dior
Christian Dior
Christian Dior
Christian Dior

iwouldnt say it's positive towards Dior either- rather critical- but it is also very sympathetic of Dior. it's a portrait of a man who in his life had the opportunity to explore every pleasure the world could offer, yet he turned them all down choosing instead to relentlessly toil away at his craft (or at least appear as such) and conform to the rigid morals and ideals he was apprently brought up with.

ithink Morrissey draws parallels between himseld and Dior- indeed he sings "I displine my days just like Christian Dior." In the past, Morrissey has been notorious for his introverted manner, often shying away from many situations and never really appearing to allow himself much fun in life beyond the pleasure he takes from his art. ithink a major theme that runs throughout the ROTT session songs is Morrissey's letting go and finally allowing himself to enjoy life (he has as much as said this in recent interviews as well). this is a song that highlights the way of living that Morrissey is leaving behind and the brash and free outlook that he is now taking forward- "The way to just be a man."

it is an excellent song.

Christian Dior
You wasted your life
On aroma and clothes
Fabric and dyes

Christian Dior
You wasted your life
On grandeur and style
And making the poor rich smile

You could have run wild
Impregnating women
Who couldn't even write their own name

Christian Dior
You wasted your life
Sensually stroking the weaves of a sleeve

You could have run wild
Impregnating women
Who couldn't even spell the wrong name

Christian Dior
Christian Dior

When you look at me
Failure is all that you see
I discipline my days just like
Christian Dior

All forcible entry
And morally bankrupt
And never non-violent

Christian Dior

Lionise maverick
Design if you can
The way to just be a man
To just be a man

Christian Dior
Christian Dior
Christian Dior
Christian Dior

iwouldnt say it's positive towards Dior either- rather critical- but it is also very sympathetic of Dior. it's a portrait of a man who in his life had the opportunity to explore every pleasure the world could offer, yet he turned them all down choosing instead to relentlessly toil away at his craft (or at least appear as such) and conform to the rigid morals and ideals he was apprently brought up with.

ithink Morrissey draws parallels between himseld and Dior- indeed he sings "I displine my days just like Christian Dior." In the past, Morrissey has been notorious for his introverted manner, often shying away from many situations and never really appearing to allow himself much fun in life beyond the pleasure he takes from his art. ithink a major theme that runs throughout the ROTT session songs is Morrissey's letting go and finally allowing himself to enjoy life (he has as much as said this in recent interviews as well). this is a song that highlights the way of living that Morrissey is leaving behind and the brash and free outlook that he is now taking forward- "The way to just be a man."

it is an excellent song.

Just interested: by "enjoying life" do you mean drinking, having sex and so on?

Just interested: by "enjoying life" do you mean drinking, having sex and so on?

this verse says it:

All forcible entry
And morally bankrupt
And never non-violent

imean doing whatever it is you want to do and to not be dissuaded by either societal expectations, internal interpolated morality or fear. to not waste time fretting over any of it- the worst thing is to simply be bored or regretful of a chance not taken.

this verse says it:

All forcible entry
And morally bankrupt
And never non-violent

imean doing whatever it is you want to do and to not be dissuaded by either societal expectations, internal interpolated morality or fear. to not waste time fretting over any of it- the worst thing is to simply be bored or regretful of a chance not taken.

Oh okay. I see. The "enjoying life -part" just made me think of The Importance of Being Morrissey where he talks about not living such a "sainty" life anymore. Maybe it all goes hand in hand

CD is a legend, he was very successful in his art, but totally messed his private life, of course it spoke to the man

After the first listen, I love it already. Beautiful song. So much better than the execrable Sweetie Pie. Thank you so much for the file.

I thought this was a great song, pity it was relegated to a B-side. I like it better than a couple of the songs on ROTT.

...it is an excellent song.

Thank you for that excellent post chrisarclark. For clarity, let me rephrase my original one line summation of the song to "Look, all you've done with your life is produce this beautiful art, when you could have..."

I think as a stand alone song it doesn't suggest he sees himself in a different place to how/where he sees Dior. However in the context of ROTT, as you point out, it does.

I'm still not sure whether the song is entirely critical of Dior. In parts it seems critical of the hedonistic side of just letting go. Morally bankrupt and never non-violent are powerful lines. (Although "morally bankrupt" is a stock phrase that the morality police throw at every opportunity)

Like you said, it's a truly excellent song.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom