Big Issue / Robin Ince: "You can grow up to be Morrissey or you can grow up to be Johnny Marr – which are you?" (April 30, 2024)

You can grow up to be Morrissey or you can grow up to be Johnny Marr – which are you?

'Usual' article.
FWD.

Robin Ince's Bibliomaniac book advertised in the above Big Issue contains the following Morrissey mentions:

On the way to Chorlton I pass the Southern Cemetery, inspiration for The Smiths’ ‘Cemetry Gates’, in which Morrissey recalled the ‘dreaded sunny day’ when he would walk around the memorials and slabs with his friend, the artist Linder Sterling, quoting Keats and Yeats and Oscar Wilde.

Richard also appeared on the page on which I first opened Morrissey’s autobiography, ‘and then Richard Boon said something very unhelpful’. Compared to many others, he survived Morrissey’s book unscathed.

I am surrounded by paintings of gardens, so I use this as the spur to talk about nature, chimpanzees and the psychological advantages of looking at acorns and oak trees. I overrun (with permission) and then take questions, which include ‘Do you meditate?’ No. I can’t shut this grey matter up. And ‘Who would win in a fight – Alan Moore or Morrissey?’ Alan Moore would both refuse to fight and at the same time mentally crush Morrissey, so he would be left untouched, but utterly vanquished on the canvas.

Ironically....no wars under Trump....the only disaster was Covid which affected everyone and most countries were hopeless in trying to deal with it.
I think he was a good president, which is why the establishment is doing all it can to stop him

Yeah, it must be great to be a multi millionaire liberal leftie. Try living in the real world instead of a shell.

You realize Johnny worked his way up from nothing and got to where he is through talent, determination and a lot of hard work. The Smiths played Red Wedge, Artists Against Apartheid and Jobs for a Change shows. He's kept his same values all along. What's wrong with that?

Ugh.

What Morrissey needs to do is explain to people that he's a single issue (non) voter.

What would you would have to do is admit that he should've been a little more careful with where he threw his support and thought it through a little more. I doubt this will happen.
Says a lefty. What he needs to do is what he wants. His political opinions don’t need your approval. That’s the problem with the left, they think what they believe is true.

Where was it that Marr put down Morrissey? He just said they were different and not friends, which was the truth. Marr is very careful with the Smiths, that's why he is now the keeper of the legacy. Morrissey was gaslighting everyone with that letter that Marr was out to get him, all the insults in that letter came from Morrissey's imagination and were things Marr had never said in print.
Marr has been throwing out backhanded insults since the Smiths demise. Morrissey letter was uncalled for but the part about using Morrissey name to promote his own career was absolutely true.

Marr has been throwing out backhanded insults since the Smiths demise. Morrissey letter was uncalled for but the part about using Morrissey name to promote his own career was absolutely true.

Any quotes you can reference? Do you mean statements such as he's close to everyone he's worked with except for Morrissey. Is that an insult or the truth? Isn't that what people admire Morrissey for, telling the truth?

You think he tells the journalists what their headlines will be or what to print? They asked him about the Smiths and he spoke about Morrissey. Now he doesn't ever speak about Morrissey and Moz complains he's been left out of the Smiths story. Who is the one who loses here? Johnny's career is still going gangbusters.

You realize Johnny worked his way up from nothing and got to where he is through talent, determination and a lot of hard work. The Smiths played Red Wedge, Artists Against Apartheid and Jobs for a Change shows. He's kept his same values all along. What's wrong with that?

Yeah, some people do get to where they are through talent, determination and a lot of hard work. Maybe luck, mixing with your fellow liberal minded millionaires also helps ie those who don't rock the boat, keep their mouths shut. Maybe behind closed doors they're not so pc. He's kept his same values? Do you know the fellow?

My first Smiths gig was the jobs for a change gig at the old GLC building, brilliant exciting day. The redskins came on and about 200 NF skinheads caused mayhem and my friend got injured and took backstage where the Smiths were getting ready, i was very jealous. Billy Bragg was great.
Our view was basically where the inner sleeve of Rank was taken. And they were supporting.... Mari Wilson and the wilsations ffs. Great day.

Any quotes you can reference? Do you mean statements such as he's close to everyone he's worked with except for Morrissey. Is that an insult or the truth? Isn't that what people admire Morrissey for, telling the truth?

You think he tells the journalists what their headlines will be or what to print? They asked him about the Smiths and he spoke about Morrissey. Now he doesn't ever speak about Morrissey and Moz complains he's been left out of the Smiths story. Who is the one who loses here? Johnny's career is still going gangbusters.
No-one when challenged has been able to come up with any recent direct quotes of Johnny 'attacking' Morrissey in the press, because there don't appear to have been any. And, just a reminder that (going by the dates), what appeared to have triggered Morrissey's open letter attack on Johnny was a misquoted Daily Express headline (or, being charitable, a selectively quote):

The Smiths split ‘bruised me emotionally, it turned to s*** with Morrissey’ – Johnny Marr

When Johnny's actual interview statement (as given in the full article was):

“Everyone I’ve worked with has been great. The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens. I hate talking about the group I formed in those terms, the group I loved. But, y’know, let’s get some perspective.” https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1549398/Johnny-Marr-Morrissey-The-Smiths

Which seems to me to be an entirely reasonable statement of the facts, and not some unwarranted Moz-bashing. Yet it caused Morrissey to well and truly flip his lid and say Johnny called him a 'monster'. Clearly he's still extremely sensitive on the subject, but he's getting offended by things that don't actually exist.

No-one when challenged has been able to come up with any recent direct quotes of Johnny 'attacking' Morrissey in the press, because there don't appear to have been any. And, just a reminder that (going by the dates), what appeared to have triggered Morrissey's open letter attack on Johnny was a misquoted Daily Express headline (or, being charitable, a selectively quote):

The Smiths split ‘bruised me emotionally, it turned to s*** with Morrissey’ – Johnny Marr

When Johnny's actual interview statement (as given in the full article was):

“Everyone I’ve worked with has been great. The only thing that turned to s*** was The Smiths. Which is a shame, but s*** happens. I hate talking about the group I formed in those terms, the group I loved. But, y’know, let’s get some perspective.” https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/music/1549398/Johnny-Marr-Morrissey-The-Smiths

Which seems to me to be an entirely reasonable statement of the facts, and not some unwarranted Moz-bashing. Yet it caused Morrissey to well and truly flip his lid and say Johnny called him a 'monster'. Clearly he's still extremely sensitive on the subject, but he's getting offended by things that don't actually exist.

Interesting to me that the split occurred not long after this positive interview. He seems to be genuinely in a great place and enjoying things. What on earth happened in that short time afterwards?

Interesting to me that the split occurred not long after this positive interview. He seems to be genuinely in a great place and enjoying things. What on earth happened in that short time afterwards?
Or even later, Johnny talking about looking forward to touring 'Strangeways' in the US, and raving about Morrissey, literally the month before the split [see around 49 minutes in]. But this is all ancient history, and been gone over a zillion times.

Or even later, Johnny talking about looking forward to touring 'Strangeways' in the US, and raving about Morrissey, literally the month before the split [see around 49 minutes in]. But this is all ancient history, and been gone over a zillion times.

There was a huge thread on Twitter the other day, sparked by someone admitting they had only just discovered that the lyric is son/heir and not sun/air - and it turned out that soooooooooo many people have always thought the same thing. Weird!
Was in a bar in Houston the other week and someone thought it was “ sun and hair “
The same guy feckimg thought Everyday Is Like Sunday was about how great Sundays are

Now he doesn't ever speak about Morrissey and Moz complains he's been left out of the Smiths story. Who is the one who loses here? Johnny's career is still going gangbusters.
I always found that funny, our boy Johnny can't win, and a lot of it was complaining that the Rough Trade story which came originally from Marr's 2016 biography was false

Some don’t agree with me, don’t know why.

But it seems to me that this NME article that probably came out right after these interviews was what sparked Marr’s final decision to leave the band ….

But it seems to me that this NME article that probably came out right after these interviews was what sparked Marr’s final decision to leave the band ….

If only Moz hadn't planted that story - the band might still be together.

I can't see a link to NME? Just Morrissey Central?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom