Cliff Richard to play free New York show to make up for Morrissey cancellation (June 21, 2014)

Look, he has to get himself better first and thats not going to happen overnight. Of course, getting
yourself better could mean going out of the house - that was a dig as obviously he should get out !

Morrissey thinks a lot about his fans. What a joke post. There is no point arranging
shows when you are not very well, surely !
obviously he has to get better but its not about this tour specifically, morrissey has canceled numerous shows and never returned there, take oakland for example...

I wonder if Cliffs playing this because he stands to lose money from the cancellation and can at least break even if he plays ?

I don't really know, but probably a substantial part of his costs will be met by the insurance, because flights and accommodation will already have been booked, and he will have been paying for rehearsal space and wages. So he gets to recoup that. He's presumably putting his hand in his pocket to hire the venue and pay his band on the night. Which is pocket change, if you're him.

He's doing it mainly because he's not well known in America and doesn't normally get invited to play there, so he was excited about the gig and gutted about it being cancelled. Secondarily, because he knows some of his British fans have already paid for flights and hotel rooms.

Cliff may not be one of the great legends of rock 'n' roll history, and I believe he has some dodgy politics (although it has to be said that's rich coming from a Morrissey fan). But he has had his moments. The backing vocal line of "she-ee-ee-ee-ee-ee -eep" on "We Don't Talk Anymore" was a stroke of genius.

obviously he has to get better but its not about this tour specifically, morrissey has canceled numerous shows and never returned there, take oakland for example...

Ummmm, San Jose is only a 45 minute drive. It takes me that long to get to an LA gig and park, I wouldn't expect him to do a show at the Azusa City Hall Auditoreum since I could ride my bike there.

Those of us in Britain don't find this news surprising.
Typical of Cliff.
I'm not a fan,but his fan base is massive.
He's also a devote Christian.
He's not my cup of tea but I respect him.

He is finished now full stop !

And exactly how long has Benny (and the other usual suspects) been makling the same confident assertion? Years, surely?

I wonder if it's satisfying to be so consistently wrong? Or does it just feed their bitterness and anger? It's hilarious that they pretend not to care, yet spend every day on here, busily commenting on everything...

Nice move Cliff! You're a true pro! Hope you bring the house down!

Maybe if Moz is on the up by then he could drop in and support you!?

:thumb:

The star that is Cliff.
Mullet and all.
Going back a bit.
With the late Rik Mayall and the gang.
Dated now of course but funny as hell at the time.
Cliff is like a god to some.:lbf::lbf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very classy indeed. No way, no how would Morrissey even think about making this type of gesture to his fans.

In addition to the mentioned Wolverhampton gig, there was also a planned free concert in Chile last summer, on the later cancelled South American tour. So you should get your facts straight, I think I have to say.

What could a certain someone, in fact, learn? That when he's sick, he should pony up for air and hotel bills for people?

If you're traveling to see Morrissey at this late date and feel aggrieved, you're Darwin Awards material.

In addition to the mentioned Wolverhampton gig, there was also a planned free concert in Chile last summer, on the later cancelled South American tour. So you should get your facts straight, I think I have to say.

Well, hold on. The Wolverhampton show was primarily about launching his solo career, and I was going to do a free gig in Hyde Park last year, but somehow never quite got around to it.

Though a nice touch, to be fair, it's more of a pseudo-free gig. Cliffy was already paid up front to support Prince Mozrles.

Though a nice touch, to be fair, it's more of a pseudo-free gig. Cliffy was already paid up front to support Prince Mozrles.

The insurance will reimburse his costs, but that won't include hiring an alternative venue.

C'mon, seriously??? That Wolverhampton show in '88 had Morrissey licking his wounds after Johnny split and was simply a PR ploy, not a genuine gesture to his fans. He needed affirmation from his Smiths' fan base that he was loved and wanted Johnny's attention. It's like asking out your ex-girlfriend's sister after she shoves you to the side.
And the Chile show never happened because, once again, he had a sore belly or his mum had a cold or whatever other reason this man has cancelled over the years.

He's a f***ing diva of the biggest kind. You need to separate the music from the man and realize that you can like one while at times despising the other.

I wonder if Cliffs playing this because he stands to lose money from the cancellation and can at least break even if he plays ?

NO, Cliff is doing it because he appreciates & loves his fans.
He will not get any money from this, in fact it is costing him money.
It is FREE....

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom