Fox5NY: Morrissey, Exclusive Performance & Interview (October 20, 2023)

UPDATE October 20:

"Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings" on "Good Day New York / Fox5NY - Winkin’ Long / YouTube. Link posted by TheSmiths_1985.

Interview with Rosanna Scotto now on Fox5NY and YouTube:

From MarcoD71 (mp4 download available):

Audio link and screenshot posted by Famous when dead:

full

Posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Media coverage:
Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really liking the new stones album.
I always said the same thing about rebels without applause and this style of mixing, it’s never been my taste and my major complaint with his more recent stuff is not the music itself but the production.

….. however today I listened to rebels without applause again, not on tinny little headphones or a crappy car speaker but on bass heavy, beefy headphones.
And… I liked it? I thought it sounded pretty good? Am I insane, let me know!
What do you think the Stones' song, Don't Get Angry With Me, is about? Who's been annoying Mick? Like Iggy's Comments, from album Every Loser?

Is this verified? Carmen Vandenberg and Camila Grey both can't play the acoustic part of Please Please? That's surprising. It's not exactly Liszt.
Take no notice. Anonimyth is a trolly tit.

Rock Celebrities has since picked up on this interview

What do you think the Stones' song, Don't Get Angry With Me, is about? Who's been annoying Mick? Like Iggy's Comments, from album Every Loser?
I’m not sure who if anyone it’s’ about, but I never felt their lyrics were based on their own experiences.
My girl reckons it sounds like The Clash? I don’t see the similarity.
Just finished a jog down the river as the sun set listening to sweet sound of heaven - what a track.

He said "it's from Dries van noten. Do you know them?"

Had a quick look nothing there for me really, generally if under the shoe category they don't have Doc Martins I struggle with the rest.

I'm not "against" Carmen, but I really do miss the renewed enthusiasm and excitement Alain brought during his return. Second stints in Morrissey land are quite rare and it just sucks realizing he's gone...again. Moz only has himself to blame on that. He was the one who chose the touring manager (Donnie) over Alain. Personally, I would have gone with the guy who I've known and worked with for nearly 20 years. And he lost Gustavo in all this, too.

Carmen's OK, but she has big shoes to fill. Not really sure she's the best fit (playing wise) for Moz but it seems like they all get on well which is good.
Having watched him on recent tour concerts, I don't think Alain Whyte added anything special on his second return. Any enthusiasm he may have shown seemed a little fake, or contrived, to me. Yeah, he wrote some good tunes for Moz over the years, but imho he's simply a 'guitar player', with zero stage presence, zero charisma, & zero star quality...except in the minds of the sad nostalgia crew who still cling on to the idea that he's some sort of saviour that Moz can't survive without. Wrong.

On Please Please there's a backing track of an acoustic guitar. That's because she or the other girl can't play it properly. They probably tried it on rehearsals. How shameful to resort to a backing track. At this point M should sing alone and ditch the whole band
I wish Moz would just stick to the original arrangement, lyrics & delivery of this song...it's one of my all time favourite Smiths songs. Some things should just not be tampered with.

Sunday is my fave song… now it’s just a wreck of a song.
I think Johnny Marr would probably do a better rendition.
Totally agree. I'm sick of the quando nonsense. Everyday is like quando, win yourself a quando, share some quando with me...As per my comment re; PPPLMGWIW, just stick to the original FFS. Please.

Having watched him on recent tour concerts, I don't think Alain Whyte added anything special on his second return. Any enthusiasm he may have shown seemed a little fake, or contrived, to me. Yeah, he wrote some good tunes for Moz over the years, but imho he's simply a 'guitar player', with zero stage presence, zero charisma, & zero star quality...
Agree with some of this, especially the part below…
except in the minds of the sad nostalgia crew who still cling on to the idea that he's some sort of saviour that Moz can't survive without. Wrong.

But in my opinion, Alain’s co-written some of M’s greatest songs, and having met him several times, he’s a sweetie.

Someone is most likely using an acoustic guitar simulator pedal with their electric guitar.

Then someone should strum like an acoustic guitar, and that's not happening. It is a pre-recorded track. End of.

He should do like early US Girls. No band. Full backing track. Also bring Linden or someone and turn the show into a sort of multimedia interactive avant-garde opera

I wish Moz would just stick to the original arrangement, lyrics & delivery of this song...it's one of my all time favourite Smiths songs. Some things should just not be tampered with.

I agree with this. I think perversely, Moz doesn't want the audience to sing along with him so he changes the lyrics. I also don't think Moz' band could handle the Smiths musically. I do prefer Johnny's versions of the Smiths song, they are spot on and and when he stretches out on the guitar it adds something beautiful.

Agree with some of this, especially the part below…

But in my opinion, Alain’s co-written some of M’s greatest songs, and having met him several times, he’s a sweetie.
I'm not disputing his writing ability. He wrote over 80 songs iirc, and many of them are outstanding. So he does get some credit from this critic...but despite being a 'sweetie' his time has passed; he's not Moz's saviour like the oldies like to imagine him to be. The days of Lazy Sunbathers & Used To Be A Sweet Boy are long gone.

I've now watched the whole interview. I don't get why he shied away from doing interviews. When he is like this, just talking without any agenda, he really comes off as nice and still his usual bit eccentric. It generated so much positive reactions and maybe he can get some random and casual viewers/listeners back. He really can do it without much hassle and change/craft his public image as he pleases, if he wants to do so of course. And to be honest, the most interviews aren't really aimed at talking about something in depth, as long as you're not doing a lengthy interview with a newspaper and agree to political questions of course. So there is really only benefits and not so much danger in doing interviews without FiDo and Sam again?

I don't get why he shied away from doing interviews.
Because he convinced himself that the 'mainstream media' were out to destroy his career. Whilst there may have been a few journalists out there with an axe to grind, the release of the Der Spiegal audio tape merely confirmed that the person responsible for harming Morrissey's career was in fact (surprise, surprise) Morrissey himself.

Hopefully this TV appearance marks the start of Morrissey engaging with journalists and doing interviews again. He managed to get through this interview without putting his foot in it, so it proves it can be done.

Someone is most likely using an acoustic guitar simulator pedal with their electric guitar.
No - it's definitely a pre-recorded backing track. Have a look on this video - the sound of the strummed acoustic guitar is clearest at 1:30, however at that point both Jesse and Carmen are playing the lead break, you can clearly see she is picking individual notes, and definitely not strumming.

I thought maybe the acoustic guitar was being played by Camila during that bit, but from another angle on a different night you can see she remains on keyboard throughout the song.

A bit sad that with five people in the band they have to use a backing track - I wonder if it's being used in any other songs? :unsure:

Is this verified? Carmen Vandenberg and Camila Grey both can't play the acoustic part of Please Please? That's surprising. It's not exactly Liszt.
Go to YouTube and verify it by yourself.

Can you notice the sound of an acoustic guitar on that song? Pay close attention.

Can you see no one is playing an acoustic?

If a guitarist used an acoustic simulator then the right hand should strum accordingly.

She barely plays on that song, sometimes her left hand is not even on the fretboard.

You are right it's not Liszt but they probably cannot strum it like it's supposed to. So they resort to a backing track, which is so sad

I do prefer Johnny's versions of the Smiths song, they are spot on and and when he stretches out on the guitar it adds something beautiful.
I quite like the understated version of 'Please Please' that Johnny has been doing recently. To be fair, I've seen both Moz and Johnny do great versions of this song in the past.

Go to YouTube and verify it by yourself.

Can you notice the sound of an acoustic guitar on that song? Pay close attention.

Can you see no one is playing an acoustic?

If a guitarist used an acoustic simulator then the right hand should strum accordingly.

She barely plays on that song, sometimes her left hand is not even on the fretboard.

You are right it's not Liszt but they probably cannot strum it like it's supposed to. So they resort to a backing track, which is so sad

I can kind of hear an acoustic guitar in the spot you're talking about, but it disappears at the instrumental break. If they were piping in a backing track, wouldn't the acoustic guitar be there for the whole tune? I'm not convinced Carmen Vandenberg is so untalented that she's essentially a guitarist Milli Vanilli.

I'm not convinced Carmen Vandenberg is so untalented that she's essentially a guitarist Milli Vanilli.
I don't believe that either, but I'm not sure the musical arrangements are the greatest as present (I'm guessing as 'musical director', Jesse would be responsible for that now?). Similarly check out Carmen during 'Stop Me if You Think You've Heard This One Before' - for such a relentless guitar-heavy track, I'm not sure why she is playing such minimalist stuff on this track - there's chunks during the verses where you can see her removing her hands from the neck as she isn't actually playing anything.

Again, I'm not saying she isn't talented enough to play this stuff, just that - for whatever reason - the arrangements aren't currently always up to snuff. With five musicians in the band (including a keyboard player who can double up as a third guitarist) there shouldn't be any need for piping in additional backing tracks.

Back
Top Bottom