Orlando, FL - Dr. Phillips Center - Walt Disney Theater (Oct. 7, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / Girlfriend In A Coma / Darling, I Hug A Pillow (live debut) / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / How Soon Is Now? / Notre-Dame / Half A Person / Let Me Kiss You / The Loop / The Night Pop Dropped / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway

Setlist courtesy of setlist.fm.

Last edited:
It's a strong set list and I personally don't expect Morrissey to completely shake things up.

There is a good mix of Smiths and solo stuff, and roughly half of the songs could be considered classics.

“I remember the days when almost every setlist was different”

You are misremembering, that has never been the case.

Correction... I meant to say every Tour setlist was different.

I saw every show MOZ at the Hollywood Palladium residency in 2007 and every setlist was different.

since BOZ left jesse in charge the setlist hasn't changed very much.
When Alain came back... he was able to add a couple of tunes to the list.
jesse has to play it safe because his skills are limited as a musician... he can only do power chords and chain saw noises on his guitar.

face it... blame jesse and this new mediocre band lineup, they just can't play MOZ/Smiths tunes.

I feel bad for the drummer doing all the heavy lifting because hes the only one with talent.
BOOYAH!

The thing is, I can sort of see how a '40 Years of Morrissey' show could work. You've already got the intro videos that act as the songs Morrissey was influenced by as a kid. Add in a few archival interview media clips of Morrissey discussing his early years, growing up in Manchester etc. The band come on to 'Hand in Glove' and - whilst maybe not hitting every album - the setlist works it's way chronologically through Moz's career, including plenty of deep cuts, and backdrops and maybe even short video clips celebrating all eras, and the various musicians, producers etc he has worked with along the way.

But Morrissey isn't the type of artist to play 'themed' shows. He just wants to play what he feels like on any given night, which is usually the same setlist he played the previous week/month.

'49 Years of Morrissey' is just a press poster for 'Business as Usual'. But then he complains about not getting any press coverage for the tour, when he offers them nothing new to talk about. Same old, same old.

I hate to say this, it breaks my heart but this is complete bullshit! As a long time fan seeing both The Smiths and Morrissey numerous times. It’s time to just say enough! This is not 40 years of Morrissey it is his standard setlist. I just cancelled my Memphis room and I’m selling my tickets. I’m done… just like his managers, labels and close friends. It’s not everyone else….it’s Morrissey.

Love the guy but I believe my eyes.
I’d pay to see him sing a Chinese take away menu 😂

You all are so harsh! He's been sick with Dengue and couldn't rehearse new songs, obviously. He showed up this time, at least.

Actually did he show any signs of illness or mention being sick?

Surely the question at this point is: who does he think he's creating these setlists (or, more accurately, this setlist) for? Three options, really:

1. Himself
2. Dedicated, possibly unwell, fans like ourselves?
3. More casual indie/alternative music fans who fancy a night out with a bit of nostalgia?

I can't believe the answer is #1, unless he actively likes boring himself to death.
#2 seems unlikely, even though it pisses people off that he doesn't do this and seems like such a waste for people who want to attend multiple shows.
So I guess the answer is #3? Which, from a financial standpoint, probably makes the most sense? And for that more casual crowd, I guess 10-12 of these 19 songs would be familiar, which isn't a bad hit rate?

The setlist is fine if you haven’t been to a Morrissey gig in years and don’t frequent this website (and aren’t clued up on what he’s been playing in recent times).

But that won’t apply to most of the people who went to see him last night.

I thought - after a few months between gigs - he might have changed the setlist. But no.

He must be boring himself by now, surely?

He could throw in a “Reel Around The Fountain”, “Lost”, “Well I Wonder”, “My Love Life” or “Tomorrow” couldn’t he? If not for him, then for the fans.

But still he sticks with the same old, same old.

The setlist is fine if you haven’t been to a Morrissey gig in years and don’t frequent this website (and aren’t clued up on what he’s been playing in recent times).

But that won’t apply to most of the people who went to see him last night.

I thought - after a few months between gigs - he might have changed the setlist. But no.

He must be boring himself by now, surely?

He could throw in a “Reel Around The Fountain”, “Lost”, “Well I Wonder”, “My Love Life” or “Tomorrow” couldn’t he? If not for him, then for the fans.

But still he sticks with the same old, same old.
Hasn't it been years since he played Florida? If that's the case, I'm guessing that there will have been plenty of songs that fans hadn't seen performed live before.

And even if you only compare last night's show with Morrissey's previous U.S. concert in December 2022, there are 8 changes.

That's not at all a bad setlist. Lots of '40 Years' classics for the 'casual' Smiths and Moz fans - Suedehead, Sunday, Girlfriend, How Soon - and several pleasers for the more hard-core fans, including the live debut of Pillow. No doubt, there will be a few more live debuts coming up, including (hopefully) Suspicious Minds to be belted out at Graceland.
Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway - make for a pretty strong ending to the night. Most fans would be raising the roof singing along to those songs.
Any 'buzz' around the shows definitely seems to be at a low at present, though, not helped by the Mexico and South America cancellations / postponements. The silence between Mexico City and Orlando was deafening.

the setlist being criticised as usual,if you were there then you can moan but not if you didnt attend.
he probably cant sing a lot of his older songs,he said he wont sing certain songs for personal reasons,this is the first night,whos to say he wont bring in a new song each night.

Surely the question at this point is: who does he think he's creating these setlists (or, more accurately, this setlist) for? Three options, really:

1. Himself
2. Dedicated, possibly unwell, fans like ourselves?
3. More casual indie/alternative music fans who fancy a night out with a bit of nostalgia?

I can't believe the answer is #1, unless he actively likes boring himself to death.
#2 seems unlikely, even though it pisses people off that he doesn't do this and seems like such a waste for people who want to attend multiple shows.
So I guess the answer is #3? Which, from a financial standpoint, probably makes the most sense? And for that more casual crowd, I guess 10-12 of these 19 songs would be familiar, which isn't a bad hit rate?
I just want to know what conversation lead to Notre Dame staying on the playlist and did it involve loud shouting

He's a performer, it must be at least partly about what the fans want, but at the same time he has been doing this for a long time, I'm not sure I can blame him for picking songs he wants to sing

It's the individuals choice to buy a ticket... it's not as if you choose what songs he plays when you buy the ticket

It's a strong set list and I personally don't expect Morrissey to completely shake things up.

There is a good mix of Smiths and solo stuff, and roughly half of the songs could be considered classics.
I mostly agree with you. Also the mix between earlier and later solo stuff - taking the year 2000 as the dividing line - is 7 and 7. And 5 Smiths songs is nice too. But at this point I would retire HSIN, almost any other Smiths song could replace it. And I would also replace The Loop by a song from YA. Tomorrow was suggested in another post, really like that suggestion. Glamorous Glue or National Front Disco would be very nice too. And then he needs to remember that Trouble Loves Me and Now My Heart Is Full are terrific crowd pleasers too.

That set doesn't reflect 40 years of Morrissey in my opinion. On the latest poster for Jakarta it says

Don't miss this extraordinary show filled with fan-favorite songs that have touched hearts worldwide, not sure that is true either if this is the set he will play there
If you live in Jakarta, this will be your third chance to see Morrissey. One would have to compare with the setlists of his 2 previous shows there, but I think most people there would be happy with this setlist.

However, if he were to pull out this setlist on another UK tour or in LA next year, then I would agree with you and most of the other complainers hete: he would need to be more creative.

It's nice that we got the live debut of Darling, I hug a pilow. It's a nice pop song, one of the least expressive on The Dog Album. . But since Morrissey can't, doesn't want to release his latest two albums, he could at least play more songs from those albums at concerts. Three isn't much though.

I mostly agree with you. Also the mix between earlier and later solo stuff - taking the year 2000 as the dividing line - is 7 and 7. And 5 Smiths songs is nice too. But at this point I would retire HSIN, almost any other Smiths song could replace it. And I would also replace The Loop by a song from YA. Tomorrow was suggested in another post, really like that suggestion. Glamorous Glue or National Front Disco would be very nice too. And then he needs to remember that Trouble Loves Me and Now My Heart Is Full are terrific crowd pleasers too.
I'd love to hear those, and Disappointed, Ask, I could go on. I think he needs songs that rock a bit more, the set just sounds so monotone to me.

Apparently smoke from Canadian fires is being detected as far away as Florida. Maybe that explains why few signals are coming through!

Irish fans I know though say they've been increasing sharing their show notes elsewhere in past years due to the remorselessly hostile environment and sock-puppetry on Msolo squeezing out most of the genuine fans.

1696758618182.png

Promising tour kick-off in Orlando anyhow. Echoing Dickie Felton, may those who make the effort be amply rewarded,

in mind, body and soul
in part, and in whole :love:

Back
Top Bottom