Hollywood, FL - Hard Rock Live (Oct. 8, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / I Wish You Lonely / How Soon Is Now? / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / Girlfriend In A Coma / Darling, I Hug A Pillow / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Notre-Dame / Half A Person / Let Me Kiss You / The Loop / The Night Pop Dropped / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Jack The Ripper // Speedway

Setlist courtesy of lalocurto / setlist.fm.

Last edited:
The implication is that they don’t understand big words 🤣
Thank you. The British and Canadian inferiority complexes are hilarious, it must be awful to feel so beneath everyone all the time. I am not saying it's everyone; obviously, but the digs people take here are just stupid.

I’d argue that it’s a lot easier to appeal to a broader audience if you simplify your language. It’s much easier for those whom English is a second language to identify with.
But to aim that at others in the Anglo-sphere is a bit much.

I’d argue that it’s a lot easier to appeal to a broader audience if you simplify your language. It’s much easier for those whom English is a second language to identify with.
I do understand what you mean by appealing to a broader audience but I think the original fans were drawn to the intelligence of the lyrics, as well as other things. That being said, I am not sure how much credit Morrissey deserves because sometimes it really did sound like he was imitating Oscar Wilde and we also know he 'borrowed' a lot of things. His horrible novel really did make me doubt if he had written the earlier songs and his seeming inability to replicate those type of lyrics still make me wonder. California is very different from the rest of the US, so if he got his ideas about Americans from there, I can see why it would, um, less than pleasing. I cannot figure out why he likes living there. May be he prefers all that sun after living in England. I have been to California and it is nice for a while but I don't think I could live there.

I think that's far-fetched the be honest. English is a very common second language, that nearly everyone in the world is taught in school. In times of the internet most people are used to get a lot of their information or content in English and the world is globalised at the end. Even my mother gets it a lot better nowadays because English is everywhere. And if you're interested and struggling with a lyric you can always use DeepL. In addition to this, song lyrics aren't really like a Shakespearean drama or something, where you really have to get the language, they contain simple and short verses. English native speakers sometimes really don't seem to get that nearly 95% of the world perfectly understands their language to a decent degree. So I really don't think that he simplifies his lyrics (why would he bother?) because of that and the assumption that you have to simplify it for the non-native speakers is a little nasty.

I think that's far-fetched the be honest. English is a very common second language, that nearly everyone in the world is taught in school. In times of the internet most people are used to get a lot of their information or content in English and the world is globalised at the end. Even my mother gets it a lot better nowadays because English is everywhere. And if you're interested and struggling with a lyric you can always use DeepL. In addition to this, song lyrics aren't really like a Shakespearean drama or something, where you really have to get the language, they contain simple and short verses. English native speakers sometimes really don't seem to get that nearly 95% of the world perfectly understands their language to a decent degree. So I really don't think that he simplifies his lyrics (why would he bother?) because of that and the assumption that you have to simplify it for the non-native speakers is a little nasty.
I’m not saying HE definitely does it, but it’s an interesting idea.
It’s not just the language itself either, but also cultural references that some people may not get.
I do think there’s some truth in it though, if you take a song like I want the one I can’t have, there is the lyric “A double bed, and a stalwart lover for sure.” if you take a word like stalwart it has a very specific meaning and although there will be synonyms, there is always nuance that will separate them.
You could also say the same for humour, which is so relative and specific to culture. You only have to think of various smiths lyrics that allude to sexual situations etc, call me wrong if you think but I’m sure a lot of it is lost on a lot of people. And I never said simplifying language was inherently a bad thing.

That’s disappointing! Is he still poorly I wonder. Or does he now only reward his audience if they been very very good 🤭
It's possible now that Brendan is often stripped off by the end of the show looking all ripped etc that Moz thinks - perhaps not.
Been there myself...

Some of us who actually attend the gigs rather than sitting around complaining on this site all day do enjoy the setlists. Some of us travel far and love the shows. We like Jesse and the band lineup. We also think Moz looks and sounds great.
Tbh when you say "everyone wants to hear Picadilly Palare wahhh wahh wahh" well no... that's not all of us. So keep clinging to the past and crying as you obsess about "the lads" because it's all you know how to do. You don't actually do anything. You just moan and complain. We laugh about how ridiculous you sound.

Some of us who actually attend the gigs rather than sitting around complaining on this site all day do enjoy the setlists. Some of us travel far and love the shows. We like Jesse and the band lineup. We also think Moz looks and sounds great.
Tbh when you say "everyone wants to hear Picadilly Palare wahhh wahh wahh" well no... that's not all of us. So keep clinging to the past and crying as you obsess about "the lads" because it's all you know how to do. You don't actually do anything. You just moan and complain. We laugh about how ridiculous you sound.
Fiona is here

And then there is those who no matter what is played, it was amazing. You’re probably one of those who has to state on social media as well, in the hope you get a mention on central or at the show itself.
Or maybe you were the one so excited to hear Hank because you missed it last time?
Of all the beautiful songs the Mozfather could have given a rendition of, the band rehearsed a semi-obscure cover. But as long as you’re happy Pricey, that’s all that matters.
To you everything is hot hot hot.

I think if most people are honest, they were expecting a lot more from this 40 years of Morrissey titled tour.
It’s fell short so far. As did the summer dates.

Billions of rats !

Ta very much, luv! A tight grip definirely has its uses! BTW, counting on you to identify the yellow star he wore. I'm not one for wearing symbols or words, but this intrigues me because yellow star is usually associated with Jews but it's not that, and yet Israel is dominating the news.
The star was a little pin that said “Do Your Best” , so no Jewish relevance, but I still found it to be in bad taste.

The star was a little pin that said “Do Your Best” , so no Jewish relevance, but I still found it to be in bad taste.
Yes, someone said earlier that it was a gift from a German fan. I think the point Morrissey was making is that he is trying to do his best, although the timing does seem awkward. Some here have suggested that Morrissey has some type of autism disorder. I don't know. A relative of mine was a very strange kid, but when he was tested for autism it was not found to be that, he just had an artistic temperament.

QRO MAGAZINE CONCERT PHOTO GALLERY

(15 images)
morrissey - 15.jpeg

morrissey - 02.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom