Strange/unexpected Moz references?

The Moz/Love story previously teased by Murray Chalmers...

"When my mum got the keys to the two-room tenement flat we had to burn sulphur candles to kill off an infestation of distinctly untimorous beasties and I was so scared to go to the outside toilet during the night that my mum would let me pee in a potty as a treat.

It’s nothing to reminisce fondly about but we were very poor, so poor that our neighbours would give me comics when their own kids had finished with them.

Their children were all girls though so, even now, what I can’t tell you about the Cathy and Claire column in Jackie and the Four Marys in Bunty just isn’t worth remembering. (Incidentally, when I used to work with Morrissey, I once proudly told him the above fact and he told me that Courtney Love was also an expert on the Four Marys. I have no idea how the Marys crossed the Atlantic or how they affected Courtney’s music, lyrics or lifestyle but am glad to share such an arcane knowledge with such an esteemed rocker.)
"

Excerpted from Mr Chalmer's boxing day column here ~

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/lif...ste-of-nostalgic-food-memories-as-2021-looms/

Any clue as to what Morrissey was getting at with the Courtney Love and Four Marys comment ?

Couldn’t have been thinking..
Wonder or Nicks, surely more likely

Stevie Smith ?
A likely candidate.

"My senses sharpen at the words of Stevie Smith:
Some are born to peace and joy
And some are born to sorrow
But only for a day as we
Shall not be here tomorrow.
Smith had recently passed away after a lifetime of bleeding to death. She appeared to live like a never-opened window, with hardly any right to be, except to pass on a shivery touch of flu. She lived with her aunt in a Victorian pile in Palmers Green, all so painful yet full of life; absent from life – yet all of it right on top of her; fencing adversity with spilled ink; 50 per cent blotting-paper and 50 per cent loose tea."

(Or "40 per cent papier mache?")

A likely candidate.

"My senses sharpen at the words of Stevie Smith:
Some are born to peace and joy
And some are born to sorrow
But only for a day as we
Shall not be here tomorrow.
Smith had recently passed away after a lifetime of bleeding to death. She appeared to live like a never-opened window, with hardly any right to be, except to pass on a shivery touch of flu. She lived with her aunt in a Victorian pile in Palmers Green, all so painful yet full of life; absent from life – yet all of it right on top of her; fencing adversity with spilled ink; 50 per cent blotting-paper and 50 per cent loose tea."

(Or "40 per cent papier mache?")

Damn, that'll be it. I was thinking of singers.

Well, you could always just pretend it was because of Stevie Nicks...

We all know that he always hated meat and his first name, and probably his first name even more than meat... So maybe there was no inspiration and he was simply testing alternatives before getting rid of both things (his first name and meat).

If don't having a first name was legal, I assume he would have legally deleted his first name from his ID and passport.

We all know that he always hated meat and his first name, and probably his first name even more than meat... So maybe there was no inspiration and he was simply testing alternatives before getting rid of both things (his first name and meat).

If don't having a first name was legal, I assume he would have legally deleted his first name from his ID and passport.
Yes, I wasn't serious. He did say that he wants all three names on his headstone though.

Any clue as to what Morrissey was getting at with the Courtney Love and Four Marys comment ?
No idea.

They did meet at least once. Don't think Moz was still working with Chalmers around that time though.

"The last time I saw him I took him to dinner in LA. I brought a whole load of people with me to tell him that we really wanted him to make a record.

Who came?

Courtney Love, Fran from Travis was in town so he came down. A whole bunch really.

I can’t imagine Courtney and Morrissey together. How did that go?

It was funny, the two of them. Courtney’s Courtney."

Michael Stipe interview 2004

Last edited:

Not the video - info attached:

THE SMITHS – HOW SOON IS NOW?
JOHN PEEL's FESTIVE FIFTY 1984
The video here is HOW SOON IS NOW? by THE SMITHS at #1 on the Festive Fifty of 1984.

1. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
2. Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dewdrops Drop
3. The Men They Couldn't Hang - Green Fields of France
4. Cocteau Twins - Spangle Maker
5. The Mighty Wah - Come Back
6. Membranes - Spike Milligans Tape Recorder
7. New Order - Thieves Like Us
8. Sisters of Mercy - Walk Away
9. The Fall - Lay of the Land
10. Redskins - Keep On Keepin' On
11. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - St Huck
12. New Order - Lonesome Tonight
13. Billy Bragg - Between The Wars
14. Smiths - Nowhere Fast
15. Sisters of Mercy - Emma
16. Cocteau Twins - Ivo
17. Smiths - What Difference Does It Make
18. The Fall - Creep
19. Echo and the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
20. New Order - Murder
21. This Mortal Coil - Kangaroo
22. Cocteau Twins - Donimo
23. Smiths - William It Was Really Nothing
24. Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
25. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes
26. Unknown Cases - Masimbabele
27. Very Things - The Bushes Scream While My Daddy Prunes
28. Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
29. Billy Bragg - The Saturday Boy
30. The Cult - Spiritwalker
31. Propoganda - Dr Mabuse
32. Yeah Yeah No - Biased Binding
33. This Mortal Coil - Another Day
34. Berntholer - My Suiter
35. Robert Wyatt - Biko
36. Smiths - Reel Around The Fountain
37. Jesus and Mary Chain - Upside Down
38. Cocteau Twins - Pandora
39. Flesh For Lulu - Subteraneans
40. Cocteau Twins - Beatrix
41. Special AKA - Nelson Mandela
42. Frank Chickens - Blue Canary
43. New Model Army - Vengence
44. The Fall - No Bulbs
45. Pogues - Dark Streets of London
46. Hard Corps - Dirty
47. Echo and the Bunnymen - Thorn of Crowns
48. Bronski Beat - Small Town Boy
49. Cocteau Twins - Pepper Tree
50. Working Week - Venceramos

Too:

THE SMITHS - GIRL AFRAID (1984)
B-side of 1984 single "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", GIRL AFRAID took its title taken from the 1943 film 'Old Acquaintance' starring Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins. Hopkins's character Mildred Watson Drake is a successful author who writes a novel called 'Girl Afraid'.
As Morrissey said, “I’m generally attracted to people who are mildly despised and Bette Davis was.”
"'Girl Afraid' played like a pithy one-act drama in which boy and girl alternately soliloquise their reservations about one another," wrote Simon Goddard in the brilliant Mozipedia.
Marr's sabre-toothed twang, written the day after returning from their illness-stricken New Year's trip to New York, was inspired by his current obsession with Little Richard.
"I just kept thinking, 'What'd sound like a Little Richard piano figure on guitar?"' he explained. "Which is how I came up with it."

FWD.

Not the video - info attached:

THE SMITHS – HOW SOON IS NOW?
JOHN PEEL's FESTIVE FIFTY 1984
The video here is HOW SOON IS NOW? by THE SMITHS at #1 on the Festive Fifty of 1984.

1. The Smiths - How Soon Is Now?
2. Cocteau Twins - Pearly Dewdrops Drop
3. The Men They Couldn't Hang - Green Fields of France
4. Cocteau Twins - Spangle Maker
5. The Mighty Wah - Come Back
6. Membranes - Spike Milligans Tape Recorder
7. New Order - Thieves Like Us
8. Sisters of Mercy - Walk Away
9. The Fall - Lay of the Land
10. Redskins - Keep On Keepin' On
11. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - St Huck
12. New Order - Lonesome Tonight
13. Billy Bragg - Between The Wars
14. Smiths - Nowhere Fast
15. Sisters of Mercy - Emma
16. Cocteau Twins - Ivo
17. Smiths - What Difference Does It Make
18. The Fall - Creep
19. Echo and the Bunnymen - The Killing Moon
20. New Order - Murder
21. This Mortal Coil - Kangaroo
22. Cocteau Twins - Donimo
23. Smiths - William It Was Really Nothing
24. Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
25. Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes
26. Unknown Cases - Masimbabele
27. Very Things - The Bushes Scream While My Daddy Prunes
28. Smiths - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want
29. Billy Bragg - The Saturday Boy
30. The Cult - Spiritwalker
31. Propoganda - Dr Mabuse
32. Yeah Yeah No - Biased Binding
33. This Mortal Coil - Another Day
34. Berntholer - My Suiter
35. Robert Wyatt - Biko
36. Smiths - Reel Around The Fountain
37. Jesus and Mary Chain - Upside Down
38. Cocteau Twins - Pandora
39. Flesh For Lulu - Subteraneans
40. Cocteau Twins - Beatrix
41. Special AKA - Nelson Mandela
42. Frank Chickens - Blue Canary
43. New Model Army - Vengence
44. The Fall - No Bulbs
45. Pogues - Dark Streets of London
46. Hard Corps - Dirty
47. Echo and the Bunnymen - Thorn of Crowns
48. Bronski Beat - Small Town Boy
49. Cocteau Twins - Pepper Tree
50. Working Week - Venceramos

Too:

THE SMITHS - GIRL AFRAID (1984)
B-side of 1984 single "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", GIRL AFRAID took its title taken from the 1943 film 'Old Acquaintance' starring Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins. Hopkins's character Mildred Watson Drake is a successful author who writes a novel called 'Girl Afraid'.
As Morrissey said, “I’m generally attracted to people who are mildly despised and Bette Davis was.”
"'Girl Afraid' played like a pithy one-act drama in which boy and girl alternately soliloquise their reservations about one another," wrote Simon Goddard in the brilliant Mozipedia.
Marr's sabre-toothed twang, written the day after returning from their illness-stricken New Year's trip to New York, was inspired by his current obsession with Little Richard.
"I just kept thinking, 'What'd sound like a Little Richard piano figure on guitar?"' he explained. "Which is how I came up with it."

FWD.

Speaking of that first trip to New York when Mike Joyce came down with chicken pox, in this interview with Clem Burke (Blondie) he says he was contacted as a possible replacement for the remaining shows which never happened. Clem also speaks about Morrissey and the Cruel World Festival bill they were to share. Starts at 47:00

I'm reading a true crime ebook, and just read this:

"On the afternoon of June 2, 1991, Steve won two free tickets to see the singer Morrissey later that evening. The concert was being held at The Forum, a venue in Inglewood, nearly an hour north in Los Angeles county. Unfortunately Steve had to work that night, so he suggested Denise and his friend Rob Calvert go together. Denise was also good friends with Rob, so the two agreed to go to the concert together.

After the concert, Denise and Rob decided to stop for a drink at the El Paso Cantina in Long Beach. Once there, they called Steve and invited him to meet them, but he declined. He had just gotten off work and was trying to save money. While having late-night drinks, Denise and Rob ran into an acquaintance of Denise’s named Ross. Denise knew that Ross had had a crush on her for years. Ross asked Denise if he could speak to her privately outside. When Denise returned, she explained to Rob that Ross had asked her out and she’d turned him down.

Rob and Denise stayed at El Paso Cantina until they closed after 1:00 A.M., then drove toward home. Denise dropped Rob off at his home in Huntington Beach just after 2:00 A.M. and continued her drive. The drive from Huntington Beach to Denise’s home in the East Bluff neighborhood of Newport Beach ran along Highway 1, the Pacific Coast Highway. However, when her parents awoke the next morning, they realized that Denise never made it home that night."

I haven't read what happened to Denise yet. The book is called True Crime Case Histories - volume 5, by Jason Neal.

I finished reading about Denise. Some guy pretended to be a cop, pulled her over, abducted her, and beat her skull in, among other things. Stuck her body in a freezer. Just after seeing Morrissey 😔

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom