Taking kids to Moz shows

I was going to bring my dog, who is just like my child, to the Hollywood Bowl show. But then I couldn't go. I bet Chloe Sevigny went.

i think anyone who brings their children to that sort of environment is already on notice that this is an adult playground.

Returning to the subject, just had a look in the shop at the Smiths dvd Complete Picture, and it is PG (some content might be unsuitable for children). Ha. While LIVE IN DALLAS is all ages, and Who Put the M is from 12 years:rolleyes: So watch those kids.

Returning to the subject, just had a look in the shop at the Smiths dvd Complete Picture, and it is PG (some content might be unsuitable for children). Ha. While LIVE IN DALLAS is all ages, and Who Put the M is from 12 years:rolleyes: So watch those kids.

I didn't know that the DVD comes with a real live audience of drunk idiots in your livingroom!

I didn't know that the DVD comes with a real live audience of drunk idiots in your livingroom!

Does it? Good that I didn't buy it:cool:, but
mm, I think we are about to discuss what affects more, a visual medium or a live event, but I'd rather not.
I mean it's not a place for kids, especially as the latter one definitely comes as a bundle pack you mentioned.
And finally, just to say something utterly silly - not a place for Morrissey either:p

So who's taken kids to Morrissey shows? What's the advice out there?

I'm taking my oldest two, ages 12 & 11, to Myrtle Beach. It'll be their first concert and I can't think of anything better. Since they are pretty-much adult-sized and because the venue is small, I don't anticipate big problems with GA. However, the show doesn't even start til their bedtime. :)

Comments from non-parents are welcome as long as they aren't "Leave the kids at home" because why on earth would I not let them see their favorite performer ever?

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!
Why? I took my 7 yr old to the show in houston and all hell broke loose. I tried and emailed , called everyone to get him some sort of clearance to be on the other side of the barricade, i did everything that a mother can do to protect their child. The day of the show, a press pass were suppose to be issued for him and it didn't come through. I talked to Arturo and he said there is nothein ghe can do to protect him.. when it came down to business, i had my son on my hips and he was not a distraction to anyone.. and during the 4th song security came up to me and said that if we didn't leave they would have me arrested! My son heard this and started to cry.. things turnied MUCH worse after this... i was told by security that WE were a distraction to Morrissey (but he shook my sons hand) I questioned peeps in moz's inner and outter circle and have got mixed reviews. I will tell you, DO NOT DO IT Unless you want to get kicked out!!!!!! if you wanna PM me, thats fine, i'll go into more details.. but ... wellll.. that's all i can say!!!

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!
I talked to Arturo and he said there is nothein ghe can do to protect him..

That's another point. The security can't promise a special duty to the young ones even if you ask for it. Their main job is to keep people from climbing on stage, keeping the loonies off of Moz, and to pull people out of the audience if they are hurt. That means if a bunch of people decide to climb on the stage during the encore, their first act is not going to be going to be running and making sure your child is OK.

I don't see as much of a problem with standing towards the back of the venue, but if you personally want to be in the pit, find somebody to watch your child for the night.

That's another point. The security can't promise a special duty to the young ones even if you ask for it. Their main job is to keep people from climbing on stage, keeping the loonies off of Moz, and to pull people out of the audience if they are hurt. That means if a bunch of people decide to climb on the stage during the encore, their first act is not going to be going to be running and making sure your child is OK.

I don't see as much of a problem with standing towards the back of the venue, but if you personally want to be in the pit, find somebody to watch your child for the night.

I didn't like seeing small children up at front because of the danger to their physical safety and the booming sound levels (none of the wee ones had ear plugs AFAIK). The toddlers/pre-schoolers I saw in the (impromptu) pit at Stockton looked very bored and cranky 30 minutes into the show; they eagerly ran back to Ma in the seats. Dad, however, was excited as hell and thought it was a good idea to put the wee ones on top of his shoulders. It is creepy to see parents using their kids as leverage to get Mozzer's attention or simply do dumbass things that endanger their children's basic well-being. If the child is below 4.5 feet tall or shorter than the barrier/stage, they should not be in the pit.

However, if the kiddies really love Morrissey (it's not the parent pressuring them to go and be cute), have experience being at moderately involved rock concerts, and they're fairly big (11 & 12 years old, right?), why not give it a trial up at front? Some tweens are the size of petite-sized adults, so use your good judgement. If it doesn't work out, they can always leave/stand further back. A limited pit may be okay, but I would not bring wee sprogs up front to an all gen. admission show. These people are just asking for Darwin Awards, aren't they?

I didn't like seeing small children up at front because of the danger to their physical safety and the booming sound levels (none of the wee ones had ear plugs AFAIK). The toddlers/pre-schoolers I saw in the (impromptu) pit at Stockton looked very bored and cranky 30 minutes into the show; they eagerly ran back to Ma in the seats. Dad, however, was excited as hell and thought it was a good idea to put the wee ones on top of his shoulders. It is creepy to see parents using their kids as leverage to get Mozzer's attention or simply do dumbass things that endanger their children's basic well-being. If the child is below 4.5 feet tall or shorter than the barrier/stage, they should not be in the pit.

However, if the kiddies really love Morrissey (it's not the parent pressuring them to go and be cute), have experience being at moderately involved rock concerts, and they're fairly big (11 & 12 years old, right?), why not give it a trial up at front? Some tweens are the size of petite-sized adults, so use your good judgement. If it doesn't work out, they can always leave/stand further back. A limited pit may be okay, but I would not bring wee sprogs up front to an all gen. admission show. These people are just asking for Darwin Awards, aren't they?

i was well prepared.. earplugs in all .. there was nothing that i did not cover... so that's why it was a complete shock!!!! I had all my friends all around me, front, back, left and right making sure that he was protected.. i'm not a dumb ass parent

i was well prepared.. earplugs in all .. there was nothing that i did not cover... so that's why it was a complete shock!!!! I had all my friends all around me, front, back, left and right making sure that he was protected.. i'm not a dumb ass parent

but tell me why you would still bring your child into a pit? it sounds to me like you wanted an excuse to get Morrissey to give you a free pass to the front row.

If the child is below 4.5 feet tall or shorter than the barrier/stage, they should not be in the pit.

Yeah, my girls are both over 115 lbs. and both over 5' (yay, puberty) so they are decidedly not "little kids." To be honest, if I could escape for this concert WITHOUT them and just go myself, I'd be a perfectly happy mommy. However, they were really upset when I flew out to Pasadena and didn't take them. Myrtle Beach is just a few hours' drive away and they would never let me live it down if they weren't allowed this time.

I'm really glad I started this thread. I would NEVER have thought of earplugs. :)

I don't mean to be rude or anything:o, but does your kid like Morrrissey?

Good for you!

I hope you didn't think I was attacking you.

It sounds like you did go through quite a bit of trouble to make sure things were right. But in the end, the concerts are not suitable for young children; the staff do not owe you and your child special privileges such as press passes. They often have so much going on that legitimate media sometimes do not get press passes for the event even though it was agreed beforehand.

If it's not the possibility of injury in the pit and the loud decibels, then shouldn't you be concerned about the unwholesome effect of Moz ; p. And he has been openly swearing. I know some parents don't care, but if you care about language, what kind of message are you sending to your child when your idol says "f***" or variations thereof several times in public? I don't want Moz to censor himself just because some parents can't get a babysitter for one night.

Also, any place that sells booze should be an indication that it's not a child-friendly place. If they can't handle being jostled or barfed on by a drunk, keep them at home, that is assuming they are not abused by drunks at home.

Yeah, my girls are both over 115 lbs. and both over 5' (yay, puberty) so they are decidedly not "little kids." To be honest, if I could escape for this concert WITHOUT them and just go myself, I'd be a perfectly happy mommy. However, they were really upset when I flew out to Pasadena and didn't take them. Myrtle Beach is just a few hours' drive away and they would never let me live it down if they weren't allowed this time.

I'm really glad I started this thread. I would NEVER have thought of earplugs. :)

Yay for earplugs! You don't want to become deaf and then no longer be able to enjoy Mozzer's music anymore.

Well, I guess it's up to how much they really want to go and if you need some "me" time to yourself. Sounds like Pasadena was good for you.

If you do decide to take your daughters, I highly recommend getting some really excellent behavior or chores out of the bargain. Make it a big deal that they have to work for to show how much they appreciate it. You work it, woman!

but tell me why you would still bring your child into a pit? it sounds to me like you wanted an excuse to get Morrissey to give you a free pass to the front row.

We weren't like in the middle of the pit. We were front right. Like I said earlier that I did have all my friends with me, surrounding us, so I was not afraid for his safety in that respect. I didn't want a free pass to be upfront. I've always been upfront for the shows. I guess the shows that i've been to in the past weren't as rowdy as what they've become now.

My son does like Morrissey and had wanted to go to the YATQ as well, but he was only 5 then, but yeah... he's heard all my stories and wanted to go.

If security gave me an option to just go to the back, i would've. But they didn't. They just said that if we didn't leave, then they would have me arrested.

Where we were i guess, things weren't as crazy as what i have read about the show. I didn't see any of this drunk stuff going on. But then again, we were only there for 4 songs. Security should've been all over the drunk jerks and not harassing us. Oh well... lesson learned.

here is my criteria about whether kids should be at the show:

is he really their favorite performer ever? or is are they going to be like some of the kids i saw in Austin who were wandering all over the place because they were bored?

i also feel like some people bring their kids along because they think it gives them leverage in getting Moz's attention (how exactly did that 7 year old get up on stage anyway? doesn't that ruin the rock experience when people are taking their small kids because they think its a family outing like 'Sesame Street Live'?). it's kind of mean to take small kids into a pit. they can't see. people can't see them. i've been in a pit where my sides were sore for 2 days because of the squish that happened when "Everyday is Like Sunday" was played. i can't imagine how scary that could be for a small kid.

I took my daughter to the G-mex gig in december 06, we waited outside from 1-30pm. (it was bloody cold, but worth the wait. We met some amazing people who we are still in contact with.) I am 5ft 10 in and my daughter is taller than me. We were in the second row from the front (standing) This was her first gig and she got squashed a little too much. She got pulled out by the security and i felt panic......it took them 2-3 minutes to notice me after they pulled Terri out. I was screaming like a mad woman. The pulled me out and then they ushered me out to the side. I panicked as i couldn't find her. Eventually i was taken to the first aid room. I spent the remainder of the show in a tiny room, it was muffled and i was gutted. I would take her again but only if it was seated. If it is standing only i will go on my own. The pushing and shoving at the front was unreal. I loved every second of it but my daughter will not be going anywhere near the front for a while.

You're starting to sound like one of them LIBERALS who want to ban smoking :rolleyes:

but in the end, i think that smoking bans in restaurants and venues are not a partisan issue. i think the divide simply lies between "smokers", "nonsmokers", and "people who don't give a fart either way."

It's not like I'm standing infront of you blowing smoke on your face...... I just wanna be able to smoke in a bar while I'm having a drink and out on the streets....I pay taxes just like everyone else. That's I'll i'm asking.

If there's one thing I like of living in Italy it's this:
smoking is not allowed in bars, restaurants, discoteques, buses, hopsital etc., every public place, indoors. It is only allowed if the room is divided in 'smoking area' and 'non-smoking area'. At the beginning people complained a bit, but now I don't see much complaint. However not everybody follows the rules. Last summer I worked in a newsagent and my bosses smoked all the time. Some clients told them that smoking is not allowed, but they eitheir replied vaguely/sarcastically or they said: "What can I do if I have this vice?".
I don't smoke.

Good for you!

I hope you didn't think I was attacking you.

No of course not, I was thinking that at all. My point to all of this is well, i did everything in my power as a parent, even making a bunch of calls and emails months before the show and so for me to be looked at as a dumbass parent, really kind of pissed me off. That's all.

I think Moz does get a kick out of seeing kiddos at the shows, it kinda shows that We (the older generation) are still into him and now that we have kids, we like the fact that our children are into him as well.

Hi, I know I'm a bit older than your children but I'm 15 now and My First Gig was when I was around 9ish I believe at Milton Keynes Bowl right at the front, and I was fine with my Mum, but you've got to make sure you keep an eye on the behaviour of the crowd and all that. I'd take them, but as many people have already said, just be cautious of people around you and if your kids are likely to get hurt. If the children don't seem to be enjoying it (very small chance of that !) just try and get them out of the pit if that's where you're planning on heading. I went to the GMEX in December by myself and I was fine, met some lovely people too, just got to keep an eye on how your kids are feeling. Also make sure you have a drink if you're heading for the pit, the wait for Kristeen Young to come on at the GMEX was unbelievable and I was getting Dehydrating just from waiting for her...well I say waiting for her...more so for her to be over ! (no offence KY fans)

my son loves morrissey he's 10 years old and theres no way in hell he will be on the PIT w/ me. I bought decent seats for the MSG show i want him to have a good concert experience.

Has MOrrissey ever played in Portugal?

Wrong, wrong, wrong!

Back
Top Bottom