The Very Best of Morrissey with Bonus DVD 25th April

Emil

A Burnt Child
From true-to-you:

The Very Best Of Morrissey with bonus DVD to be released 25th April; Glamorous Glue single with previously unreleased songs

22 February 2011

EMI presents:

The Very Best Of Morrissey

With Bonus DVD

Release date: 25th April

And

'Glamorous Glue' Single

- All Formats Featuring Previously Unreleased Songs -

Following the 20th anniversary release last year of Bona Drag, EMI are pleased to announce, with Morrissey's full co-operation, the release through the Major Minor label of The Very Best Of, and limited edition 'Glamorous Glue' seven inches and an ECD featuring two never-heard-before B-sides.

The Very Best Of Morrissey is an 18-song compilation, encompassing a diverse selection of material from Morrissey's HMV and Parlophone albums, ranging from his early run of successful singles, through selected album tracks – 'Glamorous Glue', 'Break Up The Family' – to B-sides, such as November Spawned A Monster's 'Girl Least Likely To'. Additionally, it also includes the US mix of 'Tomorrow' and US single version of 'My Love Life', his sublime, extended (9:39 minutes) interpretation of Johnny Mercer and Henry Mancini's 'Moonriver', and a never-heard-before solo version of 'Interlude' (originally released as a duet with Siouxsie Sioux).

The bonus DVD will feature 11 promo videos, three of which – 'Boxers', 'The More You Ignore Me...', and 'Sunny' - are previously unavailable on DVD outside of the US, and the rarely seen, mesmerising live performance of 'I've Changed My Plea To Guilty' from the Jonathan Ross Show.

The week before the album's release, a limited edition 7" in a picture sleeve, a limited edition 7" picture disc, and an ECD single of 'Glamorous Glue' will be released, both b/w two never-heard-before Morrissey songs – 'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' (7 inches) and 'Treat Me Like A Human Being' (ECD) – taken from the Viva Hate album sessions.

Directing the artwork for the album and single, Morrissey has chosen a selection of very rare – in some instances, previously unseen – stunning photos from Jake Walters, Kevin Cummins, Linder Sterling, Perou and Renaud Monfourny to adorn the sleeves, booklet and poster bag.

The album will be available on CD and vinyl. The LP version will be a double, heavyweight 180g vinyl, housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a pull-out poster. The CD will be housed in a gatefold, card sleeve.

The first seven inch single will come in a double-sided picture sleeve with the orange Major Minor labels on the disc. The picture disc will be clear plastic with a photo each side.

The Very Best Of Morrissey tracklisting:

1. The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
2. You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side
3. The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
4. Glamorous Glue
5. Girl Least Likely To
6. Suedehead
7. Tomorrow (US remix radio edit)
8. Boxers
9. My Love Life (US mix)
10. Break Up The Family
11. I've Changed My Plea To Guilty
12. Such A Little Thing Makes Such A Big Difference
13. Ouija Board, Ouija Board
14. Interesting Drug
15. November Spawned A Monster
16. Everyday Is Like Sunday
17. Interlude (Morrissey solo version)*
18. Moonriver (extended 9:39 version)

*Previously unreleased

Bonus DVD:
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
Glamorous Glue
Suedehead
Tomorrow
Boxers
My Love Life
I've Changed My Plea To Guilty (live, Jonathan Ross Show)*
Interesting Drug
November Spawned A Monster
Everyday Is Like Sunday
Sunny

*Previously unavailable on DVD

Great news

Is this the price Moz has to pay in order to get a contract deal with EMI for his next studio album? If so, that's fine Moz but PLEASE next year give us a brand new studio album.
Cheers Moz

PAH,
they might aswell throw in a tacky easter egg.

I shaln't be buying this. :-(

Is this the price Moz has to pay in order to get a contract deal with EMI for his next studio album? If so, that's fine Moz but PLEASE next year give us a brand new studio album.
Cheers Moz

my thoughts exactly, but make it THIS year please.

Happy Days!
It's all madness of course, but I'm excited ~
'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' finally revealed. 'Treat Me Like A Human Being' {where'dthatcomefrom?} unveiled. His Greatest Evah TV Performance finally available in prisine quality. Pics, pics, pics! Ltd. Ed. gatefolded double-sided picture discs with poster bag insanity? Yes. But I'm a sucker.
Sad about no 'Our Frank' on the DVD (perhaps an Easter Egg for Easter time?)
No mention of what is the 'enhanced' bit of the ECD? Video of 'Glamourous Glue'?

I also found the use of the word 'mesmerising' in this press release very interesting.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hearing the two unreleased tracks, so I may get the 'Glamorous Glue' reissue, but I can't be bothered with the other one.

Cheers Moz

This. I don't even mind if we don't get a studio album immediately after this, but it just seems a bit silly. It's only been 3 years since the last 'best of/greatest hits/blah' was released.

I dunno. It would be nice to have a decent recording of that performance of 'I've Changed my plea to guilty', but I'm not sure about buying all those songs again.

I'm looking forward to hearing the two unreleased tracks, so I may get the 'Glamorous Glue' reissue, but I can't be bothered with the other one.
This. I don't even mind if we don't get a studio album immediately after this, but it just seems a bit silly. It's only been 3 years since the last 'best of/greatest hits/blah' was released.

You totally misunderstand the situations.

2008 Greatest Hits is a compilation of Sanctuary release 2004 - 2006, but this new 'The Very Best of' is compiled by EMI / HMV / Parlophone release.

In next 10 or 20 years time if a company buys the entire catalogue of Morrissey, we'll get 'Ultimate Collections'.

2008 Greatest Hits is a compilation of Sanctuary release 2004 - 2006, but this new 'The Very Best of' is compiled by EMI / HMV / Parlophone release.

In next 10 or 20 years time if a company buys the entire catalogue of Morrissey, we'll get 'Ultimate Collections'.

I'm sure GWTT isn't blaming Morrissey for this turn of events; at this point, it seems as thought the main reason these compilation releases are happening are because of contractual obligations -- rarely are there other reasons at all (that is, for artists who don't wish to milk their fans with songs they already have). I'm not sure Morrissey himself cares TERRIBLY much about the compilations -- even for the reissue of 'Bona Drag' he did not proceed with the planned promotional spots on TV. To me it appears that he's doing this to proceed with what he wants to do, because as I said, there doesn't seem to be any other overall motive for these releases presenting itself. I feel like finding an adequate record label for him to stick with SHOULDN'T be as difficult as he claims, he's just particularly picky about it. I'm certain that there is an abundance of decent independent labels that would release new material by Morrissey without the hassle of meeting obligations like compilations to rake in extra profits every other year. But I suppose it's understandable for someone with a career as prolific as his to expect a certain degree of publicity that a smaller independent might not be able to finance. So this is the trade-off. We understand that 'Greatest Hits' and 'The Very Best of Morrissey' are compiled by two different labels. What is being called into question is the fact that this is what Morrissey feels he has to resort to to get a good deal on releasing new material (which is what we're hoping this is all about).

2008 Greatest Hits is a compilation of Sanctuary release 2004 - 2006

Not really. 'Greatest Hits', despite its contents, was promoted as encompassing his entire career. Also, it contained 4 songs from the pre-Sanctuary era (precisely to further this aim, however inadequate the resultant compilation was at representing Morrissey's career)

And this 'Very Best Of' is just as shameless in that respect. In fact, you could argue the Sanctuary one was better because of the token effort to license a few tracks from the EMI years, no such luck with this new compilation.

Sadly, there is a recent precedent of a B-Side not being available digitally! The live version of Trash was 7"-only, for the Everyday Is Like Sunday re-release.

If 2008's Greatest Hits is a Sanctuary compilation of 2004-2006 material, would you like to explain how it includes Suedehead, The More You Ignore Me, Everyday is like Sunday, Last of the Famous International Playboys, as well as two singles from 2008?
If you can't explain it, perhaps you will offer an apology for being completely ignorant and unbelievably rude?

If 2008's Greatest Hits is a Sanctuary compilation of 2004-2006 material, would you like to explain how it includes Suedehead, The More You Ignore Me, Everyday is like Sunday, Last of the Famous International Playboys, as well as two singles from 2008?
If you can't explain it, perhaps you will offer an apology for being completely ignorant and unbelievably rude?

Oh dear, I'm sorry for forgetting it had three tracks which are originally released from EMI.

However, apart from the three tracks, rest of the songs are originally released from Sanctuary.

(I mean, you'll have bought the 7", you'll just not be able to listen to it because you lack the turntable, right?)

I'll be buying both 7"s, the cd single and any promos they make available.
I have a turntable but I would prefer a digital release as opposed to a conversion from vinyl to mp3.

Back
Top Bottom