The Very Best of Morrissey with Bonus DVD 25th April

I'm sure GWTT isn't blaming Morrissey for this turn of events; at this point, it seems as thought the main reason these compilation releases are happening are because of contractual obligations -- rarely are there other reasons at all (that is, for artists who don't wish to milk their fans with songs they already have). I'm not sure Morrissey himself cares TERRIBLY much about the compilations -- even for the reissue of 'Bona Drag' he did not proceed with the planned promotional spots on TV. To me it appears that he's doing this to proceed with what he wants to do, because as I said, there doesn't seem to be any other overall motive for these releases presenting itself. I feel like finding an adequate record label for him to stick with SHOULDN'T be as difficult as he claims, he's just particularly picky about it. I'm certain that there is an abundance of decent independent labels that would release new material by Morrissey without the hassle of meeting obligations like compilations to rake in extra profits every other year. But I suppose it's understandable for someone with a career as prolific as his to expect a certain degree of publicity that a smaller independent might not be able to finance. So this is the trade-off. We understand that 'Greatest Hits' and 'The Very Best of Morrissey' are compiled by two different labels. What is being called into question is the fact that this is what Morrissey feels he has to resort to to get a good deal on releasing new material (which is what we're hoping this is all about).

Exactly, thankyou. I also get the feeling that he's doing all these re-releases in order to please the record label so he can proceed with new stuff, and what you said here about his pickiness with record companies and how that might affect this situation seems quite probable. And in any case, is there any need to pick holes over what songs from what era/label are on the compilations? The point I was making was that it seemed strange so soon after Greatest Hits, which would support the idea that this is a means to an end.

We have truly great news, today. Then we have the final set list of the single:
7''
Glamorous Glue
Safe, Warm Lancashire Home

(E)CD
Glamorous Glue
Treat Me Like A Human Being

It's really wonderful to get two unreleased tracks.
I was wondering if Stephane doesn't own the lyrics on his personal archive.
What will it be the cover?

Exactly, thankyou. I also get the feeling that he's doing all these re-releases in order to please the record label so he can proceed with new stuff, and what you said here about his pickiness with record companies and how that might affect this situation seems quite probable. And in any case, is there any need to pick holes over what songs from what era/label are on the compilations? The point I was making was that it seemed strange so soon after Greatest Hits, which would support the idea that this is a means to an end.

Well, both (this latest, and Greatest Hits) are as explicable as they are cynical... in both cases, a record label has tried to put together a 'Greatest Hits' or 'Best Of' product as cheaply as possible. With the Sanctuary compilation, it was cheaper to draw on the Sanctuary stuff, for EMI, they have avoided licensing stuff from after he left EMI.. the Sanctuary Best Of was a means to an end for a new album so let's hope this one is too, BUT I don't expect this to sell well... and the Bona Drag release did crap sales wise aswell... so let's hope, if a deal was made for a further original (new) Moz record, that that doesn't depend on sales of this back catalogue stuff...

Stinks to high heaven all this.
I will stick to the singles and leave it at that. I sincerely hope that, when new material is released, that it is worth the recent investments many of us have made in 'old tat'

Well, both (this latest, and Greatest Hits) are as explicable as they are cynical... in both cases, a record label has tried to put together a 'Greatest Hits' or 'Best Of' product as cheaply as possible. With the Sanctuary compilation, it was cheaper to draw on the Sanctuary stuff, for EMI, they have avoided licensing stuff from after he left EMI.. the Sanctuary Best Of was a means to an end for a new album so let's hope this one is too, BUT I don't expect this to sell well... and the Bona Drag release did crap sales wise aswell... so let's hope, if a deal was made for a further original (new) Moz record, that that doesn't depend on sales of this back catalogue stuff...

Well, I would hope that EMI would realize what they're getting into by pushing this product; it really depends on how much Morrissey himself had to do with it. Does he just want to give EMI as little satisfaction as possible by giving them something that he KNOWS won't sell well in order to fulfill contractual obligation and look toward the future? Or did EMI put this together (after all, it just says 'with Morrissey's cooperation' and that he selected the pictures to be included -- this is the scenario I'm assuming)? EMI would have to be really off their match to assume this will bring a SUBSTANTIAL amount of sales; they would need only to take a look at how "Greatest Hits" by Decca was received in 2008. Granted, it's not the same product (this veritably has "Oye Esteban!" tacked on as a bonus), but being such, it would probably cost more.

If I was relatively new to Morrissey and this had been released 15 to 20 years ago then the DVD alone would be worth purchasing. Sadly we live in a different world, with different rules and its inexplicable to me how EMI (or Morrissey for that matter) think they'll shift enough units to make this release worthwhile.

Still I think its probably the best career compilation that has been released yet. He's had enough practice at it though!

Does somebody remember that Morrissey talked about his retirement years ago (I dunno the date...).. so I guess it happened....
The same is happening with Bowie.

If I was relatively new to Morrissey and this had been released 15 to 20 years ago then the DVD alone would be worth purchasing. Sadly we live in a different world, with different rules and its inexplicable to me how EMI (or Morrissey for that matter) think they'll shift enough units to make this release worthwhile.

Still I think its probably the best career compilation that has been released yet. He's had enough practice at it though!

If I were to stick to my assumption that this is indeed a contractual ploy to get Morrissey to release SOMETHING while he's waiting to work on/complete new material, the explanation would be that for EMI, any profit is better than no profit. A certain amount of people WILL buy this release, as well as the "Glamorous Glue" reissue. The whole point of making it a contractual obligation to release a compilation is that it will rake in revenue. Sure, it won't be anything compared to a studio album, but it's something -- more importantly, something Morrissey has to do to ensure that his next studio album can be released on EMI. They'll receive profits from putting out both releases, and Morrissey will be able to release a new studio album under a label that he is sure can promote it to his wishes. This is just how it looks to me.

Does somebody remember that Morrissey talked about his retirement years ago (I dunno the date...).. so I guess it happened....
The same is happening with Bowie.

Yes, a little bit ago he said he couldn't see the point of continuing his career past 55. It was an XFM interview, if I recall correctly. However, I would not count him out totally just yet. There's a possible motive behind all this that DOES make sense, at least to me.

All well and good ref: contractual obligations but this is 2011. Certain established artists can release new albums with a mere 5 days notice...

The music industry has changed so much in the last decade that the record companies are merely treading water. Particulalrly EMI.
I think Morrissey has made a mistake in signing to EMI. They're in the doldrums, he's in the doldrums, we're all in the doldrums.

I realise he feels the need to be coveted and wanted but for someone who protests about how much he detests the record industry and its machinations... anyway what do I know?

All well and good ref: contractual obligations but this is 2011. Certain established artists can release new albums with a mere 5 days notice...

The music industry has changed so much in the last decade that the record companies are merely treading water. Particulalrly EMI.
I think Morrissey has made a mistake in signing to EMI. They're in the doldrums, he's in the doldrums, we're all in the doldrums.

I realise he feels the need to be coveted and wanted but for someone who protests about how much he detests the record industry and its machinations... anyway what do I know?

I agree with you 100% on this. I mentioned before that Morrissey could very easily get out of EMI taking advantage of his material like this by finding a suitable independent. He'd have no trouble at all getting a good deal were he to remove EMI from its almighty pedestal. And relegating certain tracks to vinyl only does speak a lot about how it's really his own final say. I wouldn't be surprised if EMI had recommended against it, but then again, I guess that will help to assure that people will buy both formats.

But yes, I agree with you. It doesn't seem likely that he's going to change anytime soon before he officially retires, though. Who knows, though. He could prove us all wrong and pull a Radiohead :D

You should realise that Bona Drag re-issue or even The Very Best of are released only for truly fans. They will never be reach top positions on charts.

Really? This is what passes for "the very best" of Morrissey? And I was actually looking forward to the chance of finally getting a compilation without a botched track-list (I think "Best of" came close, but it was US-only). Should have known that'd never happen. Morrissey seems to have a knack of compiling the strangest, most pointless compilations... :confused:

I'll be buying both 7"s, the cd single and any promos they make available.
I have a turntable but I would prefer a digital release as opposed to a conversion from vinyl to mp3.

It may well sound funny but I am much more looking forward to the Promos than the actual releases.....apart from the 7" vinyl which I love more and more these days...
Cheers Moz

Another weird thing about this release is that the 'best' stuff associated with it (the single B-sides, surely) aren't even on the album?? :crazy: Morrissey's own decision, presumably.. but if they want to sell the actual album, surely the best stuff should have actually been on the album rather than to create a (very) little promo buzz with the single.

The track-listing is so far from a Very Best Of... that it's faintly embarrassing to think someone might buy a copy believing it to be so. It reminds me of a World of Morrissey II.

Still, for me Morrissey can release what he likes; we don't have to buy it if we don't want to.

And the thought of having the two new Viva Hate tracks plus the solo Interlude and a quality version of the J Ross "I've Changed My Plea..." makes me rather happy.

Also, this may all be part of some deal for a new LP. Which would be very nice indeed.

I've Changed My Plea To Guilty on The Jonathan Ross Show December 1990

Last edited by a moderator:
Very happy with the greatest hits set list...."Girl Least Likely To" is one of my favourite songs and deserves its rightful place in the greatest hits! It kicks "First Of The Gang's" ass anyday and I'm really happy that the awful song and any of his post 2003 stuff hasn't seen any light on this greatest hits!

Back
Top Bottom