What song are you listening to right now?

Folks won't play along with the stick only, if you take away the carrot. They are even willing to let go of their freedoms in order to be able to keep the carrot. I told the mechanic today that I don't want another multi-media box installed in my place, if he could give me some information on its functionality, the effects on data protection, and all the other consequences that nobody tells you about. As I expected, he was only willing to see the problem from his own, the mechanic's, perspective. His job is to install the device in time, not to answer any questions. I could have called the providers. I told him that this is what I did, but they couldn't answer my questions, and instead told me to ask the mechanic. So, I told him about my concerns, because this provider is known for having cooperated with a Chinese company years ago, and their W-Lan routers had turned out to be manipulated with spying software that affected almost 3 mio. households. I noticed that the mechanic spoke with a slight Saxon dialect when he eventually pulled out a pen and said noticeably irritated, "You are already spied out. I write you down as a refusenik now", which he did, into a list. The stasi-jargon combined with the dialect gave me the chills. I told him that I wouldn't sign this. "You don't even have to."
So, after he went away, I wondered if it was worth being a refusenik. Would I be punished for not cooperating? And secondly, why are most people satisfied, and over and over again come up with the "argument" that there is no need to resist corporate espionage bc we are already spied out? There is not even the will to protect yourself. Thirdly, there were only a few years inbetween the fall of the Berlin wall and the rise of the internet. And then I remembered that Jonathan Franzen wrote about this historical interrelationship as well in "Purity", and had been criticized for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
bon jovi emorama fatguyinalittlecoat rulz gr8 tags i have good taste i have terrible taste nugz luvs dmb nugz luvs phish post-count increaser r kellz lyk wut robby=follower she who has good taste this thread is toxic who nose yannisbad ydw an ipod
Back
Top Bottom