Any more singles form YOR?

i DO NOT KNOW IF i AGEE....

Yet more valuable input :D

I'm sure it does...and I'm sure..somewhere down the road, we'll get it? be it as throwaway b sides, or on another YATQ type 2 disc for YOR or Swords? or, possibly a different B sides disc all together? wouldn't surprise me in the least bit.

It's a bit too late for a deluxe YoR :blushing:
And I imagine that 'Swords' will probably be the last B-sides compilation during Morrissey's live career. My guess is if there are no more singles from YoR, these songs will probably rank up there with the evasive 'Home is A Question Mark' and 'Kit,' lost in the past until (hopefully) they will one day be leaked.

It would seem to be 6 from YATQ, 6 from ROTT, and 6 from YOR and GH. What a ridiculous release! The b-sides from YATQ and ROTT were widely available. Why not release something to reeally excite the fan base? 'Kit?' 'I'm Playing Easy to Get?" It's the same reissue, repackage. This is just getting sad.

Because we NEVER have this luck :thumb: :rolleyes:

Not true. Southpaw Grammar reissue a case in point where previously unreleased, hell, previously unleaked songs make it onto an official release.

Yes, one that we heard in demo version (which, to tell the truth, came out pretty much the same -- a lacklustre vocal and poorly mixed guitars), one that, according to Moz himself in the new liner notes, was a throwaway song from the Your Arsenal era, and one actually decent song. :D

Yes, one that we heard in demo version (which, to tell the truth, came out pretty much the same -- a lacklustre vocal and poorly mixed guitars), one that, according to Moz himself in the new liner notes, was a throwaway song from the Your Arsenal era, and one actually decent song. :D

I actually preferred the demo of Honey. IMO the vocals were anything but lacklustre...:thumb:

I actually preferred the demo of Honey. IMO the vocals were anything but lacklustre...:thumb:

The future is around me
I'm not gonna cry for the things that never occurred
so do not [runs out of breath]'ehmind me
Happy to be as I was in the first place

If he couldn't fit all the lines in the phrasing, he could have easily dubbed the vocal lines in different takes.
After this, he goes into an out-of-tune refrain.

:D
I spend most of my time in a studio :blushing:

The future is around me
I'm not gonna cry for the things that never occurred
so do not [runs out of breath]'ehmind me
Happy to be as I was in the first place

If he couldn't fit all the lines in the phrasing, he could have easily dubbed the vocal lines in different takes.
After this, he goes into an out-of-tune refrain.

:D
I spend most of my time in a studio :blushing:

Evidently :p

Seriously, I felt stuff like a muffled vocal added to the resigned feel of the song, a feel that comes from lines like "I'm not gonna pine for the things that can never be mine"... Language that isn't completely fluid adds to and demonstrates the speaker's discomfort, having been through much trial and tribulation and finally having had to give up. At least this is what my English A level taught me :D

Because Sanctuary was swallowed up by Universal. They own those songs.

Stephane

Thank you for clarifying Stephane. Thanks makes much more sense.:)

It's a bit too late for a deluxe YoR

It's not a question of being late as much as a question of having enough content and commercial potential.

And I imagine that 'Swords' will probably be the last B-sides compilation during Morrissey's live career.

Why the last? I'm surprised at how more and more people are talking like it's the end of Morrissey.

About all the speculation on the track listing for Swords, all I can say is this: don't expect the nice complete compilation that would make sense. Morrissey has never been like that ("World Won't Listen" anyone? or "World Of Morrissey"? or "My Early Burglary Years"?) and he's not about to change, from what I'm been hearing left and right.

Stephane

About all the speculation on the track listing for Swords, all I can say is this: don't expect the nice complete compilation that would make sense. Morrissey has never been like that ("World Won't Listen" anyone? or "World Of Morrissey"? or "My Early Burglary Years"?) and he's not about to change, from what I'm been hearing left and right.

Stephane

ha, exactly what I thought. still I hope My Dearest Love will be on it.

I also hope that there will be one more YOR-single, maybe Black Cloud?

It's not a question of being late as much as a question of having enough content and commercial potential.

Why the last? I'm surprised at how more and more people are talking like it's the end of Morrissey.

Stephane

People talk about this being 'the end of Morrissey' because YOR was a commercial disaster. Aging artists with declining sales and declining musical creativity (IMO) is why he will have trouble being re-signed to a new contract. Look at his current status: he had to bring in Irving Azoff just to secure a U.S. release of YOR to a minor U.S. label. INSANE!

Sanctuary was his latter salad days, since then his handling and promotion have been atrocious - to the point it's cost him his mass marketability. I won't be surprised if the Starbuck's offer is off the table.:tears:

People talk about this being 'the end of Morrissey' because YOR was a commercial disaster. Aging artists with declining sales and declining musical creativity (IMO) is why he will have trouble being re-signed to a new contract. Look at his current status: he had to bring in Irving Azoff just to secure a U.S. release of YOR to a minor U.S. label. INSANE!

Sanctuary was his latter salad days, since then his handling and promotion have been atrocious - to the point it's cost him his mass marketability. I won't be surprised if the Starbuck's offer is off the table.:tears:

handling and promotion make very little difference to record sales. Sanctuary were in the right place at the right time - 7 years since the last album; the press and wider media were ready for new Moz product.
no record company can force a radio station to play songs, and songs on the radio are the only way an album gets to stick around in the chart. Morrissey's only had two albums that have managed 10 weeks in the chart (V Hate, YATQ), and both had successful airplay hits as second singles.

also, altho YOR is currently a commercial disaster relative to Quarry and ROTT, it isn't when you look at it in the context of all the solo albums. it's gone 'gold' in the UK which means it's already more successful than Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal, Maladjusted, and Southpaw Grammar. if he releases a radio-friendly single (i.e. Carol) it could still be a relative commercial success...

handling and promotion make very little difference to record sales. Sanctuary were in the right place at the right time - 7 years since the last album; the press and wider media were ready for new Moz product.
no record company can force a radio station to play songs, and songs on the radio are the only way an album gets to stick around in the chart. Morrissey's only had two albums that have managed 10 weeks in the chart (V Hate, YATQ), and both had successful airplay hits as second singles.

also, altho YOR is currently a commercial disaster relative to Quarry and ROTT, it isn't when you look at it in the context of all the solo albums. it's gone 'gold' in the UK which means it's already more successful than Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal, Maladjusted, and Southpaw Grammar. if he releases a radio-friendly single (i.e. Carol) it could still be a relative commercial success...

Let me preface this by writing that I always appreciate your posts.

I just don't believe the bolded text to be true at all. Aren't radio stations now corporate entities? DJ's don't play what they want or what's good, they play what they are told by management.

Also, I've purchased CD's based on seeing a band perform on a late night show or a music video. Exposure is everything to the success of an album. There are loads of great artists and albums whose work never reaches the general public because they don't have major label support. Anyone can press a CD nowadays, it's whether it gets radio, TV, internet, and print coverage: does the record company pay for a retail endcap or instore support? Does the artist submit themselves to the music press and get even more exposure? ;-)

As far as 'radio friendly' we have very different definitions. I think you give radio FAR too much credit. They only material Moz currently has (IMO) which is radio friendly are: 'Shame is the Name' and 'Black Cloud.' But neither would succeed without satisfying the base with some significant b-sides (see chart placement of "Skull" given it was a strong track).

Cheers!

Last edited:

This is not my rationale at all. I'm merely saying that it might be his last B-side compilation because we have legitimate word from Moz himself that he won't go on as a musician past 55. That's five more years. The last B-side compilation was put out well over five years ago. Logically, this is how it seems to fit for me.

I just don't believe the bolded text to be true at all. Aren't radio stations now corporate entities? DJ's don't play what they want or what's good, they play what they are told by management.

Being a Broadcasting School grad, i can agree 100% with this, it's a fact. You're given a playlist w/songs, it also has your breaks(when to take them, fade ins/outs etc). Most of the songs on the playlist are the latest and greatest. Very very few DJ's get to deviate from the list and actually play a "REQUEST", or other track.

Does this mean we could potentially expect a surprise or two?

Back
Top Bottom