Artists lyrically comparable to Morrissey

I think Stuart is a good lyricist but he might not be as poetic and delicate with his words as Morrissey is. Stuart's lyrics remind me more of Jarvis Cocker's than Morrissey.

I think Stuart can be just as delicate as morrissey, and certainly very poetic. And surly he's more of a lyricist than Mr. Cocker.

They are two very different people, but that wouldn't be fun if they were exactly the same when it came to writing.

I think Stuart is a good lyricist but he might not be as poetic and delicate with his words as Morrissey is. Stuart's lyrics remind me more of Jarvis Cocker's than Morrissey.

I think Stuart can be just as delicate as morrissey, and certainly very poetic. And surly he's more of a lyricist than Mr. Cocker.

They are two very different people, but that wouldn't be fun if they were exactly the same when it came to writing.

I only think Murdoch and Cocker are similar when compared to Morrissey because of Morrissey's idiosyncratic tendencies. Murdoch and Cocker both write very real, matter of fact lyrics. As does Morrissey, but with an air of mystery that Murdoch and Cocker avoid. I enjoy all three's lyrics.

Bid of the Monochrome Set

"Eine Symphonie des Grauens"
I’m dead and dank and rotten
My arms are wrapped in cotton
My corpse loves you, let’s marry

(Get smart, once)Every night at sleepy time
(Get smart, twice)I hang my skin out on the line
(Get smart, sing) Oh, darling, would you be, be mine

I’m in love, I think I’m in love]
I’m in love, I think I’m in love]
I’m in love, I think I’m in love] (Chorus)

I’m caught in a mesh of veins
My fingers and flesh and brains
My skull gives head, so let’s wed

(Get smart, once)Every night when all alone
(Get smart, twice)I drape my flesh around the phone
(Get smart, pray) Oh, darling, would you be my own

(Chorus)

Don’t cry, beautiful, it’s just a phase
To the father and the son and the holy ghost
I chant and I pray, I love

You know, God works in mysterious ways
I sing and I pray, I love

I’m soft and slightly stinking
My arms are small and shrinking
My lips kiss dirt, oh, let’s flirt

(Get smart, once)Every night at half past one
(Get smart, twice)There’s a little taste of things in come
(Get smart, chant) Oh, darling, can I be your son

(Chorus)

Don’t scream, baby, it’s just a coma
I chant and I pray, I love

You go to heaven, I go to Roma
I sing and I pray, I love

Bob Mould's lyrics (with Hüsker Dü, Sugar, and some of the solo stuff) I'd say are very comparable in terms of themes, but not writing style. They're beautiful in a different way to Morrissey lyrics.

"No more rope and too much dope,
She's lying on the bed,
Angels pacing, gently placing,
Roses round her head,
I don't know what to do,
Now pink gets turned to blue"

Pete Shelley reminds me the most of Morrissey.
Ian Curtis makes me think of Morrissey's more personal heartbroken songs, and Incredibly Ugly Girl by Julian Cope reminds me of Morrissey's more silly tracks.

I am way more familiar with Pulp than his solo stuff, but I always used to feel that Cocker's lyrics were a sexed up version of Morrissey's, if that makes any sense? I still think that This Is Hardcore is a brilliant album lyrically.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom