David Moss (son of Joe Moss) / Twitter mentions Morrissey and archival Smiths data

Read the full set of tweets at time of posting:
40 years since #TheSmiths exploded, I think it's about time Joe Moss had his right of reply to Morrissey's damning claims. After my Dad died, I found some words written about him on Morrissey fan sites, a portion of these fans were dissing him, calling him names
That's hard to read, people dissing your dead parent, people who don't know him, people following the lead from Morrissey, who barely knew him, but decided to immortalise him anyway by writing negatively about him, so casting my Dad that way in the eyes of the Morrissey faithful
Pretty nasty stuff, and we've never replied to it, but the gist was, among other things, that Joe Moss wanted to replace Morrissey in the Smiths. This does seem ludicrous and paranoid, but what if it were true? why would he want to get rid of Morrissey?
what could Morrissey have done that warranted his replacement? Surely there were reasons, I'd love to know what Morrissey thinks about this? #TheSmiths #Morrissey
In a twist of fate, it turns out that there are two lines of Morrisseys in our family genealogy, the Grandchildren of Joe Moss are Morrisseys down 2 grandparent lines, so is this an ancient Tipperary quarrel? I'd love to know what he thinks about this? See, when Johnny, Andy...
and Mike were living together in my Dad's house in. Heaton Chapel, Morrissey was distant, oft found on the other side of town, Altrincham and Sale way, pursuing his interests, driving in his car, hanging out with a guy who I met later on, who was the same age as me at the time
so i never got to know him, my Dad didn't want me to get to know him at the time, he told me not to get too close to Morrissey, i was a bit shocked, i wanted to get close, but i heeded his words, which is sad as I was/am a massive fan. Now I'd just love to find out why SM wrote
what he did about my dad without any evidence, damning someone on a whim without anything to back it up. I have my evidence as to why, potentially, there may have been some issues around Morrissey's character, but it would be cruel to dump them without some balance and context?
but of course Morrissey did this to my Dad, damned him, and when he died, strangers insulted him, spitting on his grave for Morrissey, who daren't come close. What was it Morrissey? You're a pale man and paling still, the least my father deserves is a right of reply
It's true that my Dad was heartbroken when he left the Smiths fold, I don't blame Morrissey, or anyone else, for that, that was his own doing, but as I said, reading insults from people who didn't know him, insults bequeathed by Morrissey, who barely knew him, is really hard!
he certainly wasn't a saint, but he was an angel to the Smiths for a time, Morrissey knows and should be grateful, he wrote endless gratitude to Joe and Janet once upon a time, but then pissed on that sentiment by writing poisonous lines, creating a negative image of Joe Moss
Thankfully Johnny did the Joe Moss hagiography, for balance, for justice, so we get the 2 sides, the angelic Joe that Johnny knew or the demonic Joe that Morrissey barely knew. I think if you write about people who aren't yourself or your family, you're cursing yourself too
tbc
i mean, the curse can also be a charm, words are so powerful that way, what I mean is, if you choose to damn someone in prose, immortalise them in a text you claim to be definitive, you're also cursing them and so invoking a curse against yourself. Be charming!
I'm an archive and archivist, I have so much data about The Smiths, and also the physical evidence that my Dad, also an archive and an archivist, left to us. He left me with many insights and quotes, opinions and moods, but I'd never just drop something without consideration...
there has to be a connection to the universe. I could quote my father on The Smiths, and Morrissey, but I'd have to fit that into an exploded drawing of everything, give it life and meaning, and be sure to write with love uppermost, so I'd never do what Morrissey did to my Dad...
and this tweet thread is a part of that exploded drawing
I saw and heard what Joe Moss brought to The Smiths, have you seen early photos? The Smiths visual style evolved through my Dad who was all about style, who had clothes shops and a factory, who walked around Paris getting style ideas from the Parisian youth..
he was influenced by preppy fashion, 50s teen fashions, Beatnik style, the French New Wave, the situationists, Warhol and the Factory, but more than the knowhow was the ability to dress, and to dress others
his record collection was full of the roots of the sounds that inspired the Smiths, once they had access to that collection, the sound became historic
he bankrolled them too, we have all the receipts, even the bill for the daffodils so many artefacts, a lovely letter from Morrissey's mum to my Dad, thanking him for all he'd done for her son. He wasn't rich, things were sold off, policies cashed in, favours bartered...
and The Smiths happened.

Related item:

Dave S was at the NME when they fell out - casting Morrissey as evil & vindictive was part of their mythology.

What I'm picking up is that Morrissey became extremely anxious around the media & people close to him knew it so said nothing.

Last edited:
Edit: sorry, just noticed that Amy replied while I was typing this!

There was a personal witness statement from the inquest into the death of Martin Duffy (ex- Felt, Primal Scream) by his son Louie, which ended up all over Twitter a few days ago. In a nutshell, the son of a dead musician offering up evidence that Bobby Gillespie in particular treated Martin Duffy like shit, when it came to money. Given that David Moss is on Twitter, it seems highly possible that he saw all of that and was "inspired" by it...

There was a personal witness statement from the inquest into the death of Martin Duffy (ex- Felt, Primal Scream) by his son Louie, which ended up all over Twitter a few days ago. In a nutshell, the son of a dead musician offering up evidence that Bobby Gillespie in particular treated Martin Duffy like shit, when it came to money. Given that David Moss is on Twitter, it seems highly possible that he saw all of that and was "inspired" by it...
Thank You Bookishboy
and thank you to Amy for explaining. I haven't been on here much and keeping up with things - my son's been unwell.
So there is no misunderstanding When I said "people like Joe " and "People like James Maker " were whispering in Johnny and Ms ear trying to break up The Smiths . I didn't mean it was them two doing it, I'm not trying to make up a story . I just meant people like them, close to M and Johnny, in their separate friend groups were bitching, that is what I always heard anyway. From what I understand M never had any intention of breaking up The Smiths though . He really did love Johnny back then .
I do not know David Moss from Adam . Never met the geezer and I have no judgement on him, at fecking all . I think he is probably still raw from his papa dying. The pain starts spreading after the first year . I think he has latched on to this M thing and is lashing out. I have lost both my parents now , not a surprise to a man who is nearly 60, so I know how painful it is. If David Moss reads solo I wanted him to know it was always a pleasure speaking to Joe at The Smiths gigs, he was very generous with his time and he gave me a soundboard recording of one of the gigs once .
Top geezer.
There are loads of Smiths fans from back in the day, who only have positive thoughts toward Joe. None of us took Ms bitching about Joe seriously. So stop this. you are not doing your Father's memory any favors . He was already thought of in a positive way . Do not ruin that .
Which is what you will do if you prop up this story that Joe wanted M gone. It would make loads of us think negatively. How could it not? If Joe did want M gone and would have got his way, imagine all the songs and gigs that would have been missed
Plus, The Smiths was Johnny's band but Ms vision. Joe would have had to be brain dead to want M gone. Especially for homophobic reasons, being 23 and having a male friend over 16 .
Singing about "gay " things and having a naked man on a record cover .That would be some bigoted shit, right there .
M helped out Joe by letting Marion tour for a few weeks with him . He didn't like the band, as such . He wasn't keen on the singer . He did it to help Joe. Lots of the fans didn't like Marion but cheered them on for Joe
We loved Joe he was like the Smiths kind uncle .
Big hearted. Take the singer from Marion. He never had much about him and is known as being a seedy leacher - asking people on social media to send him money , leaching off GFs. Hanging out with the didkhead from Menswea, another seedy user type. Joe still stood by and tried to help Jaimie right up until the end. He knew Jaimie was damaged and couldn't get by on his own but he still helped because he was a big hearted guy . Joe was a special guy. Don't ruin it David

I used to 😘 Felt back in the 80s. Such an underrated band. Ignite The Seven Cannons is epic to feck. I know, I know off the fecking topic.

Thank You Bookishboy
and thank you to Amy for explaining. I haven't been on here much and keeping up with things - my son's been unwell.
So there is no misunderstanding When I said "people like Joe " and "People like James Maker " were whispering in Johnny and Ms ear trying to break up The Smiths . I didn't mean it was them two doing it, I'm not trying to make up a story . I just meant people like them, close to M and Johnny, in their separate friend groups were bitching, that is what I always heard anyway. From what I understand M never had any intention of breaking up The Smiths though . He really did love Johnny back then .
I do not know David Moss from Adam . Never met the geezer and I have no judgement on him, at fecking all . I think he is probably still raw from his papa dying. The pain starts spreading after the first year . I think he has latched on to this M thing and is lashing out. I have lost both my parents now , not a surprise to a man who is nearly 60, so I know how painful it is. If David Moss reads solo I wanted him to know it was always a pleasure speaking to Joe at The Smiths gigs, he was very generous with his time and he gave me a soundboard recording of one of the gigs once .
Top geezer.
There are loads of Smiths fans from back in the day, who only have positive thoughts toward Joe. None of us took Ms bitching about Joe seriously. So stop this. you are not doing your Father's memory any favors . He was already thought of in a positive way . Do not ruin that .
Which is what you will do if you prop up this story that Joe wanted M gone. It would make loads of us think negatively. How could it not? If Joe did want M gone and would have got his way, imagine all the songs and gigs that would have been missed
Plus, The Smiths was Johnny's band but Ms vision. Joe would have had to be brain dead to want M gone. Especially for homophobic reasons, being 23 and having a male friend over 16 .
Singing about "gay " things and having a naked man on a record cover .That would be some bigoted shit, right there .
M helped out Joe by letting Marion tour for a few weeks with him . He didn't like the band, as such . He wasn't keen on the singer . He did it to help Joe. Lots of the fans didn't like Marion but cheered them on for Joe
Big hearted. Take the singer from Marion. He never had much about him and is known as being a seedy leacher - asking people on social media to send him money , leaching off GFs. Hanging out with the didkhead from Menswea, another seedy user type. Joe still stood by and tried to help Jaimie right up until the end. He knew Jaimie was damaged and couldn't get by on his own but he still helped because he was a big hearted guy . Joe was a special guy. Don't ruin it David

With all due respect, when everyone starts dying, what is left is the commentary : the autobiographies, and biographies. Maybe everyone who was there apart from Moz knows that what really happened wasn't the way he said it. And everyone who was there probably won't be here in 30 years time. Without someone saying it happened differently, what remains is Moz's view of events which is stuffed with what appears to be somewhat paranoid suspicion. It doesn't matter what really happened if history doesn't record it.

I think what Morrissey's mum wrote in her letter was "God will thank you for what you're doing for my son". That's a quote I remember reading somewhere, probably Johnny Rogan's 'Morrissey & Marr'. Morrissey's depiction of Joe Moss in his autobiography is uncharitable. And I doubt that Joe wanted to actually replace Morrissey himself. But this post from David Moss actually endorses, rather than undermines, the idea that there was some prospect of Morrissey being kicked out of the band in the early days, and replaced by another singer. There clearly was a distance between Morrissey and 'the other three'/Moss, which both camps attest to. This wasn't perceived for a long-time, because Morrissey and Marr both presented themselves as a 'Lennon & McCartney' type close-knit duo, which I don't think they ever were - even in the very early days, Angie was probably a crucial mediator. And I don't think the other three quite realised what an asset Morrissey was to the group. Sure, he got them publicity, but a lot of it was negative. And they'd had some Top 20 singles, but perhaps Joe and the the other three felt that Morrissey was hindering them rather than helping them attain greater success. Add to that just how dark and dodgy a lot of his early lyrics were, with paedophilia, and this at a time when there had been a serious movement to legitimise paedophilia, which had made itself know, I think, in the pages of the NME, and it's easy to imagine how Joe may have felt that Morrissey was a ticking bomb.
What lyrics would they be ?

Really only
I think what Morrissey's mum wrote in her letter was "God will thank you for what you're doing for my son". That's a quote I remember reading somewhere, probably Johnny Rogan's 'Morrissey & Marr'. Morrissey's depiction of Joe Moss in his autobiography is uncharitable. And I doubt that Joe wanted to actually replace Morrissey himself. But this post from David Moss actually endorses, rather than undermines, the idea that there was some prospect of Morrissey being kicked out of the band in the early days, and replaced by another singer. There clearly was a distance between Morrissey and 'the other three'/Moss, which both camps attest to. This wasn't perceived for a long-time, because Morrissey and Marr both presented themselves as a 'Lennon & McCartney' type close-knit duo, which I don't think they ever were - even in the very early days, Angie was probably a crucial mediator. And I don't think the other three quite realised what an asset Morrissey was to the group. Sure, he got them publicity, but a lot of it was negative. And they'd had some Top 20 singles, but perhaps Joe and the the other three felt that Morrissey was hindering them rather than helping them attain greater success. Add to that just how dark and dodgy a lot of his early lyrics were, with paedophilia, and this at a time when there had been a serious movement to legitimise paedophilia, which had made itself know, I think, in the pages of the NME, and it's easy to imagine how Joe may have felt that Morrissey was a ticking bomb.
What lyrics would they be ? Suffer Little Children wasn't a peado song and was a love song to the victims .
That was the one the press went for
Hand the rocks the cradle could be thought of as about child abuse but could be about many things .
Plus the thinking was that it was M that was abused an not that he was abuser .I don't think any of them are about being a peado. Am I wrong ?

Really only

What lyrics would they be ? Suffer Little Children wasn't a peado song and was a love song to the victims .
Hand the rocks the cradle could be thought of as about child abuse but could be about many things .
Plus the thinking was that it was M that was abused an not that he was abuser .I don't think any of them are about being a peado. Am I wrong ?
I thought it was 'Reel Around the Fountain' that got the alleged 'child sex' controversy in the press, leading to a radio session being banned? 'It's time the tale was told, of how you took a child and made him old' etc? :unsure:

Suffer Little Children became a scandal about exploiting or celebrating the Moors Murders.

Reel Around The Fountain and Handsome Devil became a scandal about padeophilia.

A 1980s horror film seems to have been trying to cash in on the Suffer controversy:

Edit: I'm now watching this film on Amazon. It's more low budget than my brother's student film!
There's a pop star in it!

It was quite fun - oddly mixed heavy metal with New Wave in its references. The pop star got asked about vegetarianism (he was not a vegetarian).

Last edited:
Suffer Little Children became a scandal about exploiting or celebrating the Moors Murders.

A 1980s horror film seems to have been trying to cash in on the Suffer controversy:

Edit: I'm now watching this film on Amazon. It's more low budget than my brother's student film!
The dates are out for them to "cash in".
The "controversy" around the song via The Sun was circa May '84, the video release 'proper' for the film was '85.
The film and song (possibly) share the same biblical quote (attributed to Jesus) and there is nothing else that links them. The evidence of using The Smiths song to their advantage exists where?
The film features Jesus making kids suffer, so the film title makes sense (similarly, a demonic ritual chanting: come, devil...).
The film has nothing to do with The Smiths.
The film had its own controversy that never linked to the song.
There is no reference to this film anywhere in Smiths history.
FWD.

There’s also the Buffy Saint Marie song that Moz covered on California Sun with virtually the same title, along with the Short story from Stephen King (69 and 72).
Don’t know anything about the Film, but I’m intrigued enough to take a look now.

The dates are out for them to "cash in".
The "controversy" around the song via The Sun was circa May '84, the video release 'proper' for the film was '85.
The film and song share the same biblical quote (attributed to Jesus) and there is nothing else that links them. The evidence of using The Smiths song to their advantage exists where?
The film features Jesus making kids suffer, so the film title makes sense (similarly, a demonic ritual chanting: come, devil...).
The film has nothing to do with The Smiths.
The film had its own controversy that never linked to the song.
There is no reference to this film anywhere in Smiths history.
FWD.

I wasn't being that serious! But it's not unsual to pick something that will already resonate with the press because of something previous & the producer had been working in his local music industry - so I thought it might be interesting to look into it.

The bf stuff is stupid but I don't think he implied that Joe didn't like M, really - just that M was aloof and a bit apart from the others and maybe didn't try hard to make friendships, he wasn't regularly piling along to the pub. He was just a more introverted, private person than they expected, he only confided in Johnny, and maybe some people in the Smiths camp were disappointed by that? I don't put stock in that Twitter thread. He gets too much wrong and like others have said, it all sounds vaguely threatening.
He said he didn't want him (his son) to get too close to M. I'm not sure how else that can be interpreted.

Thank You Bookishboy
Top geezer.
This.

And I'm not sure where David got the idea there's this hate for Joe Moss from Smiths fans. Not from this site anyway. I did a search and didn't find a single negative comment on Joe Moss.

That seems curious, as it's The Hand That Rocks the Cradle that seems to have a paedo as the narrator? (which of course doesn't mean the lyric writer is the narrator), the other songs seem way more ambiguous.

He said he didn't want him (his son) to get too close to M. I'm not sure how else that can be interpreted.

This.

And I'm not sure where David got the idea there's this hate for Joe Moss from Smiths fans. Not from this site anyway. I did a search and didn't find a single negative comment on Joe Moss.

That seems curious, as it's The Hand That Rocks the Cradle that seems to have a paedo as the narrator? (which of course doesn't mean the lyric writer is the narrator), the other songs seem way more ambiguous.

Some articles mention The Hand That Rocks The Cradle but it doesn't have its own scandal.

We will probably never know the exact ins and outs of what happened back then - and I'm also not sure if we need to know. The birth and development of The Smiths is now part of myth - and myth is always much more colourful than reality. What we can definitely say is that in human relationships when business and money enter into things, things can often turn a bit sour. The same goes for when ego enters into relationships. But what is also certain is that Joe Moss had a significant part to play in helping The Smiths come into the world. And for that Mr Moss - wherever you are, whatever bardo you are on - we would all like to say Thank You.

Really only

It was me who wrote the post you replied to, and I wasn't clear on what I meant about paedophilia - I meant that a high percentage of Morrissey's early songs touched on/alluded to sex with children, child abuse, underage sex and loss of innocence, and that collectively these preoccupations could have put Morrissey in the media firing line for accusations that he has sympathies with/was part of a fringe extremist movement that emerged in the late 70s, campaigning to legitimise paedophilia. I think it was an organisation called PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange), that managed to enlist the association of a few MPs, who all hotly denied their involvement decades later, and which, if I remember correctly from reading about, attained quite a high profile in left-wing/counterculture/underground media, including the NME, so in other words, Morrissey was likely to have been well aware of it. In fact, I've just googled it, and apparently it didn't disband until 1984.

As to the songs, you have 'Reel Around the Fountain', 'Miserable Lie' (loss of innocence), 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle'. 'What Difference Does It Make?' (nothing explicit in the lyrics, but the singer has some kind of controversial secret, and the song features overdubs of kids laughing and playing in what sounds like a school playground), 'Handsome Devil', 'Suffer Little Children', 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes', 'This Charming Man' (older man picking up an underage young man/boy) and 'The Headmaster Ritual'.

So, ignoring duplication, and 'The Headmaster Ritual', I reckon there are 22 songs on The Smiths' first two album releases ('The Smiths' and 'Hatful of Hollow'), of which 8 touch on/allude to sex with children, child abuse, underage sex or loss of innocence - nearly a third.

I can imagine that Joe Moss anticipated that being a serious image problem for the group. It's also interesting that Morrissey has rarely (never?) revisited any of these songs (with the obvious exception of 'This Charming Man') in his solo career, or even in the later days of The Smiths.

It also seems clear enough to me, in the above context, why Joe Moss warned his, presumably teenage, son not to get too close to Morrissey.

It was me who wrote the post you replied to, and I wasn't clear on what I meant about paedophilia - I meant that a high percentage of Morrissey's early songs touched on/alluded to sex with children, child abuse, underage sex and loss of innocence, and that collectively these preoccupations could have put Morrissey in the media firing line for accusations that he has sympathies with/was part of a fringe extremist movement that emerged in the late 70s, campaigning to legitimise paedophilia. I think it was an organisation called PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange), that managed to enlist the association of a few MPs, who all hotly denied their involvement decades later, and which, if I remember correctly from reading about, attained quite a high profile in left-wing/counterculture/underground media, including the NME, so in other words, Morrissey was likely to have been well aware of it. In fact, I've just googled it, and apparently it didn't disband until 1984.

As to the songs, you have 'Reel Around the Fountain', 'Miserable Lie' (loss of innocence), 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle'. 'What Difference Does It Make?' (nothing explicit in the lyrics, but the singer has some kind of controversial secret, and the song features overdubs of kids laughing and playing in what sounds like a school playground), 'Handsome Devil', 'Suffer Little Children', 'This Night Has Opened My Eyes', 'This Charming Man' (older man picking up an underage young man/boy) and 'The Headmaster Ritual'.

So, ignoring duplication, and 'The Headmaster Ritual', I reckon there are 22 songs on The Smiths' first two album releases ('The Smiths' and 'Hatful of Hollow'), of which 8 touch on/allude to sex with children, child abuse, underage sex or loss of innocence - nearly a third.

I can imagine that Joe Moss anticipated that being a serious image problem for the group. It's also interesting that Morrissey has rarely (never?) revisited any of these songs (with the obvious exception of 'This Charming Man') in his solo career, or even in the later days of The Smiths.

It also seems clear enough to me, in the above context, why Joe Moss warned his, presumably teenage, son not to get too close to Morrissey.
Morrissey, like any great artist, wrote and writes about life. And sexuality is part of life. And sexuality doesn't start at 18 or 21 or 16.
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle could be heard/read in many ways.
A bit of free publicity from the tabloids is a must for any new band. I'm sure the tabloid foaming at the mouth was seen in that light at the time. And only an idiot would read any lyric written by Morrissey as somehow condoning child abuse. The tabloids were just mischief making.
The accusation that Suffer Little Children exploited the horror of the Moors Murders for the purposes of selling a record was clearly one that Moz felt obliged to answer at the time - and he answered it very well. The song is one of the most haunting and powerful condemnations of child murder ever recorded.
Who knows why Joe Moss told his son to stay away from Moz? There could be a thousand reasons.

Who knows why Joe Moss told his son to stay away from Moz? There could be a thousand reasons.

There could be, but in the context of David Moss' post, it's clear enough what the actual reason was - Morrissey was running around town with a young lad, and David was about the same age. The implication is obvious, but I can understand why a sycophant will refuse to infer it.

Moss clearly an important and pivotal figure. Put time and money into the band that kept them playing and refining themselves. Easy to forget this and write him off but he was essential and saw them into mainstream success. A good person in my book. Moz an unreliable witness as ever - looking back at ‘82-83 through a glass darkly, assuming his talent would have found its way out anyway, not true. It needed someone to believe in them in crucial first year, pay for rehearsal space and recording time in studios. Good on him, dealing with edgy neurotic (& talented) singer for as long as he did. Others would follow him and find out just how unmanageable the singer could be…

I am going to offer some alternative point of view and maybe some will understand but others mostly won't. I want to say first and foremost that I think Joe Moss is a fine helpful individual. I've been around Joe Moss types in my own musical acts and to Johnny he's just a good friend helping out. However, for other bands members, especially someone like Morrissey they can put you in an odd place sometimes. They often do a lot of things that you didn't necesseraily ask for or need, and sometimes they can influence decision making in ways counterinutitive to the artist. You watch them put themselves in precarious positions to "help" over time that just make you feel bad or guilty and once again - you didn't ask for that.

To Marr, its just Joe being Joe. That said, it can be an uncomfortble position for others in the band. Sure, Joe helped alot, but maybe, just maybe there would have been another path forward aside from Joe. The Smiths are really great songs written by Marr and Morrissey, but the band artistically is child of Morrissey's mind. Maybe had Joe, Morrissey, and Marr shared the same level of friendship, Morrissey wouldn't be so paranoid that things could go against him. When it comes to bands, managers, and the like - You do want someone thats a bit neutral to the band. Can't be influenced by anyone member. That you're all on the same level with.

Outsiders with no reference will just say "Just thank him and be grateful" and I am sure Morrissey was many times, but I also can understand how the dynamic may have not been comfortable.

There could be, but in the context of David Moss' post, it's clear enough what the actual reason was - Morrissey was running around town with a young lad, and David was about the same age. The implication is obvious, but I can understand why a sycophant will refuse to infer it.
And, unless we're talking about a really young lad, it's not Moz that that implication puts in a bad light.

Back
Top Bottom