Morrissey A-Z: "Darling, I Hug a Pillow"

One of the lesser songs on the album, but still far from objectionable.

Morrissey is in fine voice and it's a strong vocal arrangement.

I also don't mind the lyrical emphasis on the physical.

And yes, the ending is impressive.

In the poll on the other board it ranked 90 from 264 solo songs.

I will always associate this song with lockdown 1. I was delighted that Morrissey had included a cheerful tune on the album. Have a drink, play it loud, move along with it in your living room and hug a pillow in the absence of people. Of course, it helps when you like brass instruments (I do) because they are driving the song. The last minute is when it really soars.

I'm enjoying it more hearing it now then my 1-2 listens of IANADOAC. I feel like it's just a few degrees off from being a song I'd play repeatedly. Trying to pinpoint why... something about the vocals seem kind of awkward in places and strong in others. The horns don't bother me at all - in fact I wonder if it's at all a nod to Mexrrissey who Moz seems to enjoy. This one might become a grower for me...

Update: I've been won over, I like this one. Really like this lyric:

Why can't you bring figs all pulpy and moist?
Roasted in passion and salty in voice?
No longer keeping a secret of your secret place

Last edited:
And what is that point?
I would say that the point here is to create something new and let it become what it has the potential to be in essence as opposed to trying to make something in a known style and for a predetermined purpose.
The idea is that a critic is faced with the dilemma of having to form an opinion on something and usually very quickly. The critics who are paid for their opinions have to come up with something to say so they have a sense of anticipation and might feel some obligation to define what they're hearing.
I liked Ben Budd's comment that he can't tell if it's good or not. A critic can't say that. Listening to it on its own for the first time last night I thought it was much more interesting than I'd noticed before and harder to form an opinion on than most of the rest of the record. I'ts easy to form an opinion on "Once I saw The River Clean" or "The Sound Of Music," but this is one that "rewards repeated listening" and those are generally the ones that make records become classics that you'll listen to in twenty years.

I would say that the point here is to create something new and let it become what it has the potential to be in essence as opposed to trying to make something in a known style and for a predetermined purpose.
The idea is that a critic is faced with the dilemma of having to form an opinion on something and usually very quickly. The critics who are paid for their opinions have to come up with something to say so they have a sense of anticipation and might feel some obligation to define what they're hearing.
I liked Ben Budd's comment that he can't tell if it's good or not. A critic can't say that. Listening to it on its own for the first time last night I thought it was much more interesting than I'd noticed before and harder to form an opinion on than most of the rest of the record. I'ts easy to form an opinion on "Once I saw The River Clean" or "The Sound Of Music," but this is one that "rewards repeated listening" and those are generally the ones that make records become classics that you'll listen to in twenty years.
Good point. In fact, one of my criticisms regarding I Am Not A Dog On A Chain was its accessibility.
I had a real wrestle with Low In High School (and World Peace too, in a way), we didn't really get along at first and it took me a long time to figure out what to make of some of the songs. To me that experience was extremely rewarding and while I still think it's a very flawed record, I cherish the memories we made along the way.

Doggo is different, there's a good number of songs on it that is instantly likable and repeated listening doesn't reveal anything new. Darling I Hug A Pillow is one of the exceptions.

Good point. In fact, one of my criticisms regarding I Am Not A Dog On A Chain was its accessibility.
I had a real wrestle with Low In High School (and World Peace too, in a way), we didn't really get along at first and it took me a long time to figure out what to make of some of the songs. To me that experience was extremely rewarding and while I still think it's a very flawed record, I cherish the memories we made along the way.

Doggo is different, there's a good number of songs on it that is instantly likable and repeated listening doesn't reveal anything new. Darling I Hug A Pillow is one of the exceptions.
I don't really like either of those, LIHS and WPINOYB, but I heard some live recording and some of the songs came across better. I kind of like "Never Again Will I Be A Twin." Maybe I will listen to those again at some point and find more to like. I seem to agree with you on everything so you've given me some reason to give them another chance.

The trumpets grate but the rest of the song's great (see what I did there!). The coda is a dream.
And v nice to hear Mr Morrissey sing wistfully about pillows and unrequited love, compared with all the creepy open-your-legs/in-my-lap stuff on Low in High School.

I don't really like either of those, LIHS and WPINOYB, but I heard some live recording and some of the songs came across better. I kind of like "Never Again Will I Be A Twin." Maybe I will listen to those again at some point and find more to like. I seem to agree with you on everything so you've given me some reason to give them another chance.
I hope you find something you like on those records. Especially World Peace is such a grower.

This lovely saccharine ditty makes me go all gaga for Mozzy.

'Darling, you will cry for me in the years to come
In the hope of a moment that cannot return
Thankfully'

For some reason this just really cracks me up. It's just that self deprecating humour Moz does so well.

What a shame such a good song is on the same album as the horrible Bobbyyyyy .
Of course there are better songs on the Dog album but I always listen to this one with pleasure, hugging my pillow.

Darling i hug a pillow / Cilla Black La la lu

Anyone notice any similarities ? it doesnt matter if not because its a lovely song anyway and i wanted you to hear it.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom