morrissey in the onion worst concert experiences

For Nathan

violin.gif

I was at that very same Riviera show, and yes, it was BY FAR the worst concert I've ever been to. It was my first time seeing Moz, and I was pretty sure it would be my last.

That's funny - it was mine, too. I had driven 5 1/2 hours from Iowa with a college friend and drove a stick shift VW van for the first time on Lake Shore Drive (the first time I had driven into downtown Chicago, too), then almost immediately proceeded to turn down the wrong way on a one way off of Lawrence looking for a place to park. The omens were there, so it seemed no great surprise. I'm still glad I went because they played Southpaw songs and it was the last tour with Jonny and Spencer.

My second show was the Chicago Theatre in 2000 and I still think that was the most eclectic set list I've seen at a Morrissey show. (There have been eight more since...) I think I'm more disappointed when I go now b/c, for me, they have become very predictable. The new musicians are not a good mesh with Morrissey and he seems content to ride it out on charm and reputation.

Cheers,
Jamie

Back
Top Bottom