Omega Auctions: "Omega Showcase Sale - Guitars, Music Memorabilia and Rare Vinyl Records" - Smiths items (July 4, 2023)

This one escaped me, but here are the items and hammer prices for various relevant lots. The trend is definitely upwards for prices.

SMITHS - THE BOY WITH THE THORN IN HIS SIDE - ORIGINAL MASTER TAPE.

32190-1-medium.jpg

A boxed reel of Ampex Grand Master 456 audio tape on a 10.5" reel, with contents to include an original recording of 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side' made by The Smiths at Drone Studios, Manchester in August 1985. The recording on this tape lasts for approx 3.21 and the recording likely differs slightly from released versions, which will have undergone further mixing/mastering. The reel also includes a demo recording by Lisa Stansfield as well as incidental music created for a television show.

Provenance: the vendor was present during the recording session and was later given the tape reel following the closure of the studio. This item is sold as an artefact only, without copyright. Any reproduction is strictly prohibited.

Sold for £5,500

THE SMITHS BARCELONA POSTER, 1985.

33695-1-medium.jpg

An original poster for The Smiths at Studio 54, Barcelona, 16th May 1985.

Sold for £2,300

THE SMITHS - 1985 US QUEEN IS DEAD TOUR POSTER.

33696-1-medium.jpg

An original and rare 1985 Sire/Rough Trade issued Smiths tour poster. Measures approx 23 x 35". NM condition.

Sold for £1,600

THE SMITHS - A 1984 CONCERT POSTER FOR ABERDEEN.

33694-1-medium.jpg

An original concert poster (30x40", rolled) advertising The Smiths in Aberdeen, 16th June, 1984. VF condition.

Sold for £2,200

SMITHS - 1985 ROYAL ALBERT HALL BILLBOARD POSTER.

33693-3-medium.jpg

An original billboard poster (40 x 60") approx advertising The Smiths at the Royal Albert Hall, April 1985. Some losses, edge wear etc.

Sold for £600

THE SMITHS - 1985 MEAT IS MURDER TOUR POSTER

35587-1-medium.jpg

An original 1985 Meat Is Murder billboard tour poster, approx 41 x 61". VF condition with 2 small tears to the left edge and minor tears to the corners.

Sold for £300

THE SMITHS - QUEEN IS DEAD BILLBOARD POSTER.

35590-1-medium.jpg

An original poster design advertising the Smiths Queen is Dead tour. Measures approx 40 x 60". VF condition with pinholes and minor tears to the corners.

Sold for £220

THE SMITHS - ORIGINAL 1984 BABY T-SHIRT DESIGN.

34271-1-medium.jpg

34278-0-small.jpg

A 1984 Smiths t-shirt, featuring a design by Liz Taylor for the band for the 1984 tour, this example with daffodil design. This example is from a run of only 50 that were produced in baby sizes (2).
(two types of these auctioned gladiloi & daffodil, both £120).

Sold for £120

THE SMITHS - A PAIR OF ORIGINAL ROUGH TRADE PROMOTIONAL POSTERS.

34984-1-medium.jpg

Two original Smiths posters: debut album poster (1984), folded (13.5x23.5", VF with some pin holes, tape residue, blu tack marks), a folded 'Hand In Glove' promo poster (11.5 x 23"), a 1984 Anabas commercial 8x10" card image.

Sold for £280

Regards,
FWD.

Lisa Stansfield and the Smiths double a-side. ‘Been around the world and i can’t find my boy with the thorn in his side’. Needs to be done!

To be a trifle pedantic, it's disingenuous to market that tape reel as a "master tape," especially with other, unrelated material contained on it. A tape containing the true master recording of EITHER version of "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" is owned by whichever entity holds the copyright to the recordings. 🤷‍♂️

£5,500 for a reel of tape?! What would you even do with it? Stick it in a box and put it in the attic, I’d imagine.

£5,500 for a reel of tape?! What would you even do with it? Stick it in a box and put it in the attic, I’d imagine.
Well, presuming it's in playable state, this would be very interesting, as you could take it into a recording studio and get the isolated individual tracks. There's bound to be some interesting stuff buried away on the tape that wasn't used on the final mix.

a poster for the Aberdeen gig BP2,200...you could buy a Brasil ticket and see Morrissey there, stay half a week in a good hotel, and 100 BP for a guide/security.

What peope give for a poster...I would understand a Rough Trade 1984 12' release

THE SMITHS - QUEEN IS DEAD BILLBOARD POSTER.

View attachment 92631

An original poster design advertising the Smiths Queen is Dead tour. Measures approx 40 x 60". VF condition with pinholes and minor tears to the corners.

Sold for £220

I think I've got one of these (we used to go to the Rough Trade office in Collier St and ask awkward questions and they'd give us stuff to get rid of us!!).

Might schedule a trip up to the loft for £220...!

Well, presuming it's in playable state, this would be very interesting, as you could take it into a recording studio and get the isolated individual tracks. There's bound to be some interesting stuff buried away on the tape that wasn't used on the final mix.
Tape nerd here: Judging by the fact that the tape is in a 10.5 inch reel, the tape is most likely a rough mixdown of the tracks in stereo. No channel separation could be done on this tape with a machine as it simply isn't a multitrack tape (tape width for this one is most likely 1/4", typical multitrack tapes range from 1"-2"); atleast none without the use of AI, much how they are doing those with old Beatles tapes now. What sucks even more is although the tape is most likely playable, it is Ampex 456, one of the worst tape-stocks that has to deal with sticky-shed-syndrome. The tape would most likely have to bake in a food dehydrator, because within its current state bought from auction, it would most likely deteriorate oxide onto the tape heads quickly. It is a great find nevertheless, and I'm just hoping whoever purchased it also has the idea to try and digitize it for others to hear.

Snip ✂️... because within its current state bought from auction, it would most likely deteriorate oxide onto the tape heads quickly. It is a great find nevertheless, and I'm just hoping whoever purchased it also has the idea to try and digitize it for others to hear.
I pay for climate-controlled storage to preserve my master tapes/reels/bootlegs & oddities/rarities et al, but the above worries the hell out of me. It seems to be potluck for people, but the media itself being a problem is the worst part.
Regards,
FWD.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom