Portland, OR - Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall (Mar. 8, 2013) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Alma Matters / The Boy With The Thorn In His Side / Irish Blood, English Heart / Let Me Kiss You / Speedway / Maladjusted / November Spawned A Monster / That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Meat Is Murder / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / Action Is My Middle Name / You Have Killed Me / You're The One For Me, Fatty / Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want // Still Ill

set list provided by setlist.fm. Confirmed by mrsimontibbs (recording).

Last edited:
I've checked out this site off and on for the past 5+ years and just recently registered. Mainly to defend (by writing in my observations of the Portland show) Morrissey after reading some posts because he cancelled his San Francisco concert. Anyway, now I'm ready to write about my Portland experience. I've not seen him tons of times like other fans. I've seen him at the Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa, CA, 2 nights at the Wiltern, the Universal Amphitheater, the Hollywood Bowl and the Paramount in Seattle. There might have been another show here or there I missed.

So now, I get to see him at 50+ years of age and I was not disappointed. That voice is still there and given the fact that he had been going through a bleeding ulcer, I was happy that this concert went ahead as rescheduled. Seeing that there was no barricade and the fact that it was theater style seating, I asked one of the ushers if the crowd can just stand up and rush the stage. I was told, "No, only the people sitting in the pit (20 or so folding chairs laid out between the front row and the foot of the stage) can stand at the stage." Upon hearing that, I was resigned to watch the show from a very decent seat in Orchestra A, Row J, 3 seats from the aisle.

After 2 or so songs, he asked to crowd to come closer so that we can "smell his cologne." That gave me and another guy in my row a reason to make our way to the front only to be stopped by an usher at row 1. She told a group of us 10 or so people to stay put. Well, there was a moment in the 3rd or 4th song, where the lights dimmed almost as if to give the crowd the cue to come forward and sure enough, there was a bit of a surge and we rushed the stage past the poor helpless usher who was asking her co-workers for help. I was probably 4-5 people away during the Wiltern concerts and now I was literally at the stage with only one person between me and the stage.

Seeing Morrissey perform from that perspective was incredible because of the fact that you can see the expressions on his face, but of course losing the perspective of seeing him work the whole stage. Anyway, given his recent bout of being ill, I thought he performed quite well, still amazing vocally, and was very thankful of the crowd and seemed appreciative of his continued following. As I mentioned in a previous post, there were times he reached for a tissue/handkerchief during the show and turned his back on the crowd. He also kneeled and bent down a few times as well. The friend I went with also noticed this and afterwards voiced her concern about his health and worried about him. So saying all that, if he was not playing at 100%, I was grateful and thankful that he managed to do that. Not sure if others caught that he ended with Still Ill and then called in sick for his next concert in SF. : )

Okay...now for my amazing moment. After seeing him several times, I finally got to shake the man's hand! Yes, close enough to reach up and shake his hand! Also, I was able to record a video of the handshake on my cellphone while I was doing it! Now the funny part afterwards. My friend and I were looking at the video and at the moment he shook my hand, I froze the image to see his thumbnail painted a light green color! That made us chuckle since I didn't know he painted his nails. Second amazing moment, he handed me the microphone and I was able to say, "Best lyricist ever!" In retrospect, I should have said, "Morrissey, I of course am a big fan. I want to say that I'm also a huge Beatles fan and I want to tell you that I think you're a better lyricist than Lennon and McCartney!"

Okay...that's it. Thanks for reading my ramblings about my concert experience

Last edited:
Morrissey at the mic.jpg20130308_225038.jpg
I've checked out this site off and on for the past 5+ years and just recently registered. Mainly to defend (by writing in my observations of the Portland show) Morrissey after reading some posts because he cancelled his San Francisco concert. Anyway, now I'm ready to write about my Portland experience. I've not seen him tons of times like other fans. I've seen him at the Pacific Amphitheater in Costa Mesa, CA, 2 nights at the Wiltern, the Universal Amphitheater, the Hollywood Bowl and the Paramount in Seattle. There might have been another show here or there I missed.

So now, I get to see him at 50+ years of age and I was not disappointed. That voice is still there and given the fact that he had been going through a bleeding ulcer, I was happy that this concert went ahead as rescheduled. Seeing that there was no barricade and the fact that it was theater style seating, I asked one of the ushers if the crowd can just stand up and rush the stage. I was told, "No, only the people sitting in the pit (20 or so folding chairs laid out between the front row and the foot of the stage) can stand at the stage." Upon hearing that, I was resigned to watch the show from a very decent seat in Orchestra A, Row J, 3 seats from the aisle.

After 2 or so songs, he asked to crowd to come closer so that we can "smell his cologne." That gave me and another guy in my row a reason to make our way to the front only to be stopped by an usher at row 1. She told a group of us 10 or so people to stay put. Well, there was a moment in the 3rd or 4th song, where the lights dimmed almost as if to give the crowd the cue to come forward and sure enough, there was a bit of a surge and we rushed the stage past the poor helpless usher who was asking her co-workers for help. I was probably 4-5 people away during the Wiltern concerts and now I was literally at the stage with only one person between me and the stage.

Seeing Morrissey perform from that perspective was incredible because of the fact that you can see the expressions on his face, but of course losing the perspective of seeing him work the whole stage. Anyway, given his recent bout of being ill, I thought he performed quite well, still amazing vocally, and was very thankful of the crowd and seemed appreciative of his continued following. As I mentioned in a previous post, there were times he reached for a tissue/handkerchief during the show and turned his back on the crowd. He also kneeled and bent down a few times as well. The friend I went with also noticed this and afterwards voiced her concern about his health and worried about him. So saying all that, if he was not playing at 100%, I was grateful and thankful that he managed to do that. Not sure if others caught that he ended with Still Ill and then called in sick for his next concert in SF. : )

Okay...now for my amazing moment. After seeing him several times, I finally got to shake the man's hand! Yes, close enough to reach up and shake his hand! Also, I was able to record a video of the handshake on my cellphone while I was doing it! Now the funny part afterwards. My friend and I were looking at the video and at the moment he shook my hand, I froze the image to see his thumbnail painted a light green color! That made us chuckle since I didn't know he painted his nails. Second amazing moment, he handed me the microphone and I was able to say, "Best lyricist ever!" In retrospect, I should have said, "Morrissey, I of course am a big fan. I want to say that I'm also a huge Beatles fan and I want to tell you that I think you're a better lyricist than Lennon and McCartney!"

Awwww. Super cool! :sweet:

I have a question. Did he tell you guys (and Seattle too if anyone is reading) at any point that he has a twin? Is that just something he says now a lot? He said it a few times in LA and I was trying to make sense of it.

the "twin" is a guy in Portland named Mark who looks a lot like morrissey. he's a friend of mine. it's hilarious...I've seen people push their mothers to the ground to hug him. ha. not moz! just som dude from lake oswego. but ya moz knows about him, he's been to a few conventions. he's known in the major moz circles.

This review is great. I had a similar experience w/ bouncers and then after he basically asked the fans to come closer, being able to get 1 person away from him at about the 4th song in. Also, Like BengaliInBC I saw the lime green nail polish (on all 10 fingers) and the amazing blue of his eyes....also, I reached out and at one point he touches/grabs my hand. It was a beautiful experience being there so close. I'm not someone that has seen him play umpteen times, but the times I have (2009 Refusal at the 550 pax venue Bowery Ballroom, NYC), and all the others have all been GREAT. His voice is terrific still and I'm so grateful that we in Portland got to see the last show before the illness kept him down and out from the remainder of his US Dates...it was a reschedule for me and I feel blessed and honored to have been able to be there so close and personal and to witness it in such a profound and meaningful way. I was still reeling days later...

The audience mic pass is always a funny one for me. I heard you BengaliInBC! That succinctly summed up what others were surely feeling! My bestie and I flubbed our one and only chance when he said "let's hear some wisdom" or some such thing...then said my friend "Stacie is the wisest"...passed the mic to me, to which I was rendered utterly speechless/passed it mutely back but not before she yelled a big dorky scream of whoo hoooo loudly into the mic. He said in wincing retort something like "don't you hate it when boys scream" knowing full well she's no boy...it was perfect. The whole night was amazing.
Get well soon Morrissey....we will never forget you.

I wonder if the decision to move "Still Ill" back to it's rightful place as an encore was a bit of foreshadowing on Moz's part.... to slyly communicate that he was, in fact, still ill and this was possibly the last show for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom