The Years of Refusal 'campaign'; what happens next?

Maurice E

We have a release date of some time in Feb. Tour dates (being) lined up for Jan.
Presumably the single will be released in Jan (let's hope it's something a bit more upbeat than Paris). If this is the case, the single will probably get its first airing in December.
Within the next month, (hopefully by the end of Oct), I'd expect the tracklisting plus single details to have been released.
Exciting times!

The big unanswered question is if they have secured a US label for the release of Years of Refusal. And if not, will this delay the worldwide release?

I think that they probably have sorted something out. Here is my logic:

1) I don’t think Moz would want his new album released worldwide with the exception of the USA. I just don’t think he would do that, based on the way he seems to perceive himself - as a major, relevant, international player. He’s not going to shut out a good chunk of his audience (or pottential audience.)

2) the fact that he has live dates line up in early 2009 seems to indicate that YOR is still on schedule for a February release. I don’t think he’d book gigs in January if the album was delayed again until June

3) I bet part of the deal with allowing Warner to release Live at the Hollywood Bowl DVD was contingent on a Warner label, probably a smaller subsidiary, releasing YOR in the USA

I would imagine we'll have answers to all these questions within 2-4 weeks.

My prediction for the new album.

1) A single released in the build up to Christmas. A Christmas number one perhaps if it's any good.
2) A press release on the true to you website giving out UK tour details after christmas. Highlights include a 4 night residency at Brixton Academy and a big Manchester show.
3) Mass panic with people clamoring for tickets. Most will be brought by touts and sold on for a huge profit.
4) Album receives a good reception, peaks at number 2 and then drops out the charts. Meanwhile moz appears on Jools Holland and Jonathan Ross' tv shows.
5) 2nd and 3rd singles released from the album have little chart impact with moz complaining of lack of airplay etc etc.
6) Tour continues into the summer taking in America and Festivals.

To be honest I have no idea but thought I might amuse myself for 5 minutes typing out the rubbish above. The main question is - will there be any surprises next year? I think not but I live in hope.

hmmmm

1) A single released in the build up to Christmas. A Christmas number one perhaps if it's any good.

2) A press release on the true to you website giving out UK tour details after christmas. Highlights include a 4 night residency at Brixton Academy and a big Manchester show.

3) Mass panic with people clamoring for tickets. Most will be brought by touts and sold on for a huge profit.

4) Album receives a good reception, peaks at number 2 and then drops out the charts.
Meanwhile moz appears on Jools Holland and Jonathan Ross' tv shows.

5) 2nd and 3rd singles released from the album have little chart impact with moz complaining of lack of airplay etc etc.

6) Tour continues into the summer taking in America and Festivals.

To be honest I have no idea but thought I might amuse myself for 5 minutes typing out the rubbish above. The main question is - will there be any surprises next year? I think not but I live in hope.

This year in February Morrissey appeared in Later...with Jools Holland.
If his tour dates in NZ and Australia wouldn't finish (because I anticipate Japan leg for the sake of the location. He hasn't been there since 2002) in mid-Februay 2009 the chance would be slim.

We have a release date of some time in Feb. Tour dates (being) lined up for Jan.
Presumably the single will be released in Jan (let's hope it's something a bit more upbeat than Paris). If this is the case, the single will probably get its first airing in December.
Within the next month, (hopefully by the end of Oct), I'd expect the tracklisting plus single details to have been released.
Exciting times!

Didn't they already release the tracklisting?

Didn't they already release the tracklisting?

Nope. All we really have to go on are the songs that Boz said would be on it (think he only actually named two but said he had four co-writes) and the clutch of songs listed on Warner Chappell (all credited to Morrissey/Whyte).

The Excruciating Factor

Pfffftttttttt!!!!
You MUST be joking!!!

Whilst that atrocity 'The X Factor' slimes it's way through the British public's conscience every Winter, we'll always know what the Christmas Number One will be....whatever tripe the half-baked karaoke singer who wins is forced to release.
Cowell's ego is so shameless that he has taken away that little bit of Christmas tradition(predicting the Christmas Number One) for good....or at least till the British public wakes up and runs this abhorrent oaf out of town.

Given that Morrissey couldn't even manage a UK number one with 'IBEH' or 'First Of The Gang' on his return from a 7 year absence and in weeks when the charts were pretty quiet, I seriously doubt he could do it this Christmas.
I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, but I can't see it.

I don't expect a pre-Christmas single. I think they would wait until closer to album release, but I could be mistaken.

Morrissey had been seen at gigs, not only of well-known artists but also newer bands, so perhaps the support band for tour is under consideration..

Expect a few snippets of info from the Janice Long interview?

:)

I don't expect a pre-Christmas single. I think they would wait until closer to album release, but I could be mistaken.

Morrissey had been seen at gigs, not only of well-known artists but also newer bands, so perhaps the support band for tour is under consideration..

Expect a few snippets of info from the Janice Long interview?

:)

Nope, no chance of a Christmas single. The whole point of pushing the album back was to aim for a quieter time of year when there's less competition.

Yeah, I'm hoping we'll get some good info tonight about the new album. Moz tends to be quite guarded about his unreleased material so I don't think we'll get much. Would be cool if he told us about the lead-off single and gave some other song titles too, and discussed what the album is like, musically. Wishful thinking perhaps!

I think the Janice Long interview will just be general banter in the way that his appearance on Russell Brand's show was. It's not a promotional appearance so I don't expect much detail about future plans.

I think the Janice Long interview will just be general banter in the way that his appearance on Russell Brand's show was. It's not a promotional appearance so I don't expect much detail about future plans.

I read somewhere (maybe the Radio 2 website) that questions were asked about the new album and Southpaw re-release.
Of course, that doesn't mean answers were given!

My original post was a little tongue in check. I was just implying that Morrissey would go down the same route of promoting this album as he has for the previous two albums. As for the number one single, we live in hope!

Will be interesting to see what is said on the Janice Long interview tonight.

I just pray for a tour around Feb. my 18th you see.

but yes, I predict Feb album release.

Anyone catch any comments on the new album last night? I heard about 80% of the interview and it wasn't mentioned...

Just after Pretenders song, Janice asks about the album (around 1:24).
Janice tries hard to get some info about it, unfortunately Morrissey only says it'll be released on 2nd February, in album sleeve he's holding a baby, it's fantastically strong.

Just after Pretenders song, Janice asks about the album (around 1:24).
Janice tries hard to get some info about it, unfortunately Morrissey only says it'll be released on 2nd February, in album sleeve he's holding a baby, it's fantastically strong.

Thanks. 'Fantastically strong' sounds like a typical Moz comment on his recent output!
Guess we'll just have to assume business as usual until we actually start to hear some of the songs...

Back
Top Bottom