Years of Refusal postponed

http://www.exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid1=115&csid2=844&fid1=32837

up-1morrissey.jpg

Morrissey Takes His Time, Delays New Album
8/7/2008 By Brock Thiessen

Bad news Morrissey fans: the Mozzer is postponing his upcoming album, Years of Refusal. His new record was originally due out next month, but the songwriter’s publicist says things are now on hold, giving no word on a possible new release date.

Refusal was being produced by Jerry Finn, who also was at the boards for Morrissey's 2004 album You are the Quarry. In July, Finn suffered a severe brain haemorrhage and is still in an L.A. hospital. However, in Billboard’s initial report, they were unclear as to whether Finn’s unexpected illness was the reason behind the delay.

Years of Refusal will mark Morrissey's first studio album since 2006’s Ringleader of the Tormentors, which has sold 98,000 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan. (This number is considered good, right?)

In other Moz news, plans are still underway for a reissue of Morrissey's 1995 album Southpaw Grammar, which will come sporting three previously unreleased tracks and new artwork, but again, no street date

Your posting this article is trolling!!!! It mentions a possibility that the album was delayed because of Finn's hospitalization! I thought that was a rather obvious speculation when I mentioned it, but Dave pointed out that I must be trying to troll the board by doing so.

Oh wait, check that. Dave - just as he did on MorrisseyMusic.com (where he was banned) - trolls people by calling them trolls when they've done nothing wrong. And he knows he has the support of one of the moderators in this tactic.

Erm, it's pretty widely seen to be offensive actually.
Just because you've used a word for years doesn't mean you still should - especially when there are countless other words you could've used.

Someone named "Dizzy Whore" is gonna tell me I have to stop using a certain word because it "offends" him/her. Well, I am tired of people who go around always trying to find reasons to be offended.

Anyway, this is an international forum (based in the USA). When you take part in an international forum, you're gonna have to learn that people from different places use different words.

Wikipedia points out:

The word spastic is used differently depending on location which has led to some controversy and misunderstanding. The term generally originates from spasticity, a medical condition characterized by hypertonia, or a high degree of muscle tightness. Spasticity underlies spastic diplegia and many other forms of cerebral palsy. But the word in common speech can also be used in a pejorative context. The level of severity depends on whether one understands it as it is used in the United States or the United Kingdom [1]. In the UK it can be considered highly abusive and taboo[2], while in the US it is more closely associated with hyperactivity or clumsiness and carries few offensive connotations.

And:

The difference in understanding of the term, between British and American audiences, was highlighted by an incident with the golfer Tiger Woods; after losing the US Masters Tournament in 2006, he said, "I was so in control from tee to green, the best I've played for years... But as soon as I got on the green I was a spaz." His remarks were broadcast and drew no attention in America. But they were widely reported in England, where they caused offence and were condemned by a representative of Scope and Tanni Grey-Thompson, a prominent paralympian.....

Most Americans were surprised when they learned about the controversy. In fact, at least one American dictionary (Merriam Webster's) makes no reference to cerebral palsy in its definition or word origins. It simply defines "spaz" as a shortening of the word "spastic" and "one who is inept".

It can also mean someone who "flips out" and acts crazy. Or it can be used to describe when people have fits, temper tantrums, or flip out. People call that "Spazzing Out".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic

So...quit being such a spaz about it, you dizzy whore.

Last edited:
I'm not defending Theo, but I don't see "spastic" as an offensive word. Infact, I had to really think hard about why it might be. I think I know what you're getting at, but maybe its something thats more offensive in the UK? I've never heard anyone over here get offended by the use of it.

The ditsy whore doesn't understand that words have different meanings in different places. Which is just one of the many reasons it's so tiring when someone comes onto a diverse, international Internet and starts demanding everyone be as uptight about certain words as a few people are in some small island nation. It's like a lilly white, ultra-PC suburbanite trying to get rap albums banned for using the word "nigga". The only thing offensive that I've seen in this thread was Dave's weak attempt to troll me, but sadly he has the full support of a trollish moderator in that.

Last edited:
When I was a teenager I remember being puzzled by Springsteen's line from 'Lost in the Flood': "They're breakin' beams and crosses with a spastic's reelin' perfection".

In the UK, especially in school, it was a real insult and always intended as a vicious put down and an insult. Nobody really used the word or they'd be thought of as very cruel.

Someone named "Dizzy Whore" is gonna tell me I have to stop using a certain word because it "offends" him/her. Well, I am tired of people who go around always trying to find reasons to be offended.
...So...quit being such a spaz about it, you dizzy whore.

Fair enough it has different connotations in different parts of the world. However, I have told you I find it offensive and only a real sociopath would continue to use it just because you are bizarrely against being-PC (which is a term, like 'Health and Safety' which idiots have taken too far and turned into 'bad' things).

Anyway, I really can't be arsed getting into an argument with some random on the internet. All I will say is that I told you I find it offensive, you have done some research and found that it is well-known to be offensive and yet you feel you need to continue defending it.
Would finding an alternate word be that hard? That much of an affront to your skewered principles?

(And also, I can't tell if you're making a point of me being called 'Dizzy Whore' but I don't really think that whore can be offensive if applied to yourself. Nor if you're quoting a lyric from an artist who's fansite you're on.)

I wonder if decca will release a official statement why the release was postponed..it has obviously to do with jerry but it would be nice if they would wipe off the ugly rumours that the album is too weak and they asked for a new version..
.since I ve read here that vauxhall was postponed also.. .what was the reason behind that then? was there any statement announced back then?
do record labels generally dont explain such things like postponed release dates?:rolleyes:

I think we have a lot of soloers with birthdays around that time. But who will win with the album coming out closed to theirs?
hope im the lucky one;)--since he played in edinburgh on my birthday this year(and i was there ). it would be very nice to release his album on the same date
ahh that was the best present ever..:guitar:even though it
didnt feel like my birthday- since I dont have a cell phone so my friends back home
couldnt reach me.....and when no one is calling you on that day -
and I dont have a laptop either.....
so it was kinda weird when nobody congratulates you
but neverteheless a lovely 27 th birthday...::D:guitar:

Last edited:
Well, he works for ITV! He's clearly just trying to make the BBC look bad...I bet he was behind that Queen-having-a-moody row a few months ago too!

In fairness his comments were backed up by this man -

cntv126.jpg

Who added - "I'm with Trev on this one, Mozza has been producing records that are getting progressively worse and more and more like a bad imitation of himself. He should knock it on the head, Quarry was toss and Ringleaders was a load of old nob. Leave it to the kids Stephen, you're starting to look like a proper tit".

Your posting this article is trolling!!!! It mentions a possibility that the album was delayed because of Finn's hospitalization! I thought that was a rather obvious speculation when I mentioned it, but Dave pointed out that I must be trying to troll the board by doing so.

Oh wait, check that. Dave - just as he did on MorrisseyMusic.com (where he was banned) - trolls people by calling them trolls when they've done nothing wrong. And he knows he has the support of one of the moderators in this tactic.
I am a troll !!:eek::D

Last edited:
I see Boz is saying now that Years Of Refusal will be released February 2009 - is this old news? Probably.

Peter

Back
Top Bottom