Where is Alain and Gary?

Morrissey is "difficult" to work with, to put it mildly. All geniuses are. So, after a time I'm sure people just get fed up with all the issues. Fortunately, Morrissey and Alain came to an understanding that would allow them to continue to work together, as Morrissey didn't wish to repeat what happened with Johnny.

Definitely agree with these two points. Though I do think songs like Pigsty, Never Played Symponies and certain others sound innovative and not like any previous Morrissey tracks.

I think there are so many artists that have fallen into the "trap" of your latter point, whether it's an 80s band or going back further, The Stones or Dylan. You can write the review yourself "...The latest album is not just a return to form, but contains songs that stand alongside their classics..." blah blah. I think with an album like Vauxhall, Morrissey captured the quality level of The Smiths while clearly being a more matured figure by that point.

It's quite remarkable that 14 years later he's coming up with frankly bizarre songs like Something is Squeezing My Skull or Ganglord, to name a couple. I'll go along for the ride.

...And his choice of less scintillating music is probably a function of not wanting to repeat himself, and that, I think, is admirable-- even when it yields "meh" results. He wants his voice to dominate the songs and given how great he sounds these days it's not a bad decision in my opinion.

...Look at other bands and you'll see the same thing. Bands that "reclaim" their old sound always come across as bland and artistically inert even when the songs compare favorably to the older material. This is true of any number of Eighties bands, including but not limited to U2, Depeche Mode, R.E.M. and The Cure.

Definitely agree with these two points. Though I do think songs like Pigsty, Never Played Symponies and certain others sound innovative and not like any previous Morrissey tracks.

I think there are so many artists that have fallen into the "trap" of your latter point, whether it's an 80s band or going back further, The Stones or Dylan. You can write the review yourself "...The latest album is not just a return to form, but contains songs that stand alongside their classics..." blah blah. I think with an album like Vauxhall, Morrissey captured the quality level of The Smiths while clearly being a more matured figure by that point.

It's quite remarkable that 14 years later he's coming up with frankly bizarre songs like Something is Squeezing My Skull or Ganglord, to name a couple. I'll go along for the ride.

Yes, I agree. We all have a very fixed idea of what an artist's growth looks like, the degree to which they should innovate. But what are the true criteria? How about this: when I listen to "Ringleader Of The Tormentors", to my ears it doesn't sound like anything else anyone else is doing and, within the circle of Morrissey's own work, it doesen't sound like anything else he has done. What more can anyone ask?

I can't share the enthusiasm about the new tracks he played at the beginning of the year, especially Mama Lay... which for my personal taste can't be turned into a track i'll like treated by whatever producer. I fear that this album will sound like ROTT, but i hope not.

I'm one of the older fans, starting with The Smiths which i loved because of the perfect combination of music and lyrics, which was and is seldom. I did really enjoy the first Morrissey solo years, hated the rockabilly attitude in 1991 and was delighted with 1992'a glam Your Arsenal (because a good Producer can make a band sound good...).

I had no problems with Ska-Madness influenced Kill Uncle, though it was not Morrissey and i had Problems with the band-orientated Southpaw Grammar for the same reason. YATQ was a great record (as he had time to select songs) but ROTT was muscially a bore. As i said, my view - i know that people adore tracks like Southpaw or Pigsty.

To come to the point: Morrissey changed musical styles too often so that he can't be identified - only by his voice. The Music is - and sounds - irrelevant.
The new Charlatans CD is great, and they also started in the late 80's - but the cd is typical Charlatans - what sound it typical Morrissey?

As Morrissey's band is no longer a band - i second that view - it would be worth a thought if Moz could sack them (even just temporarily) and join forces with younger songwriters (not Madness, not Justin Timberlake, not Timbaland) to come out of the trap he is in (musically). Has anyone heard the Arctic Monkeys spin of The Last Shadow Puppets? Could Belle & Sebastian be a partner of choice? Why not use different partenr for each song?

Morrissey could return to England as the icon of british pop, joining forces with contemporary british artists and restore his credibility.

... but all my thoughts are for the bin if he really likes the Music he's singing too in the last years...

Last edited:
Morrissey could return to England as the icon of british pop, joining forces with contemporary british artists and restore his credibility.

Dear God, no!

As Morrissey's band is no longer a band - i second that view - it would be worth a thought if Moz could sack them (even just temporarily) and join forces with younger songwriters (not Madness, not Justin Timberlake, not Timbaland) to come out of the trap he is in (musically). Has anyone heard the Arctic Monkeys spin of The Last Shadow Puppets? Could Belle & Sebastian be a partner of choice? Why not use different partenr for each song?

Because you're not supposed to notice the partner. You're supposed to notice Morrissey and only Morrissey.

Krix...you and I fully agree.

He has lost his way. But his is at the tail end of middle age now. And like many other gifted artists, regardless of whether I like their music, (Bowie, Floyd, The Stones, etc), artists lose the edge that brung them to the table: Youth, energy, despieration, poverty etc.

So while he could find new partners etc, he is still a weathly - deservidly wealthy - entertainer...and it is he whom I am finding boring...and his choice of musicians.

Not the musicians themselves.

Any alternatives to offer Amy? Carry On regardless?

Joining with contemporary artists would only make Moz look like an out-of-touch dinosaur trying to be something he isn't, imo.

He should be. He is still a great singer and 'wordsmith'. But i always hope that the music he uses will be on the same quality level - i'd take all means i could get. If chart positions are important to me, i have to do something in that direction. One death he - or/and we - have to die here.

Yes, i want to hear Morrissey (not Alan, Jesse, Boz, Matt or whoever), but he should be able to choose partners in the premier or champions league.

AND stand this competion. I know he will. Otherwise i wouldn't be here - i still enjoy his music.

Joining with contemporary artists would only make Moz look like an out-of-touch dinosaur trying to be something he isn't, imo.

No, don't get me wrong: NOT Tom Jones with The Cranberies. NOT from a has-been basis trying to regain interest.

HE is Morrissey and this is a win-win situation for both. Sorry if my post indicates something elase!!

No, don't get me wrong: NOT Tom Jones with The Cranberies. NOT from a has-been basis trying to regain interest.

HE is Morrissey and this is a win-win situation for both. Sorry if my post indicates something elase!!

Your criticisms are fair, Stefan. But one point of view-- and it may or may not be Morrissey's, I dunno-- is that the guitar long ago ceased to be an interesting-sounding instrument in contemporary pop/rock music. The only way for Morrissey to once again team up with a dynamic, cutting-edge guitarist (established or not) would be to embrace a slightly more experimental musical vision. He has never done that and never will. He's content for his backing tracks to sound (a) strongly in the pop/rock tradition (b) but not experimental in any way and (c) not a copy of his old stuff (just as you said about the Charlatans recycling themselves). Given that, how else can his stuff sound?

Oh, I see; for a moment there, I had horrible memories of Elton John with Blue :sick:

Or, even worse... Paul McCartney with Linkin Park :(. Sad day for Beatles fans, I think.

I thought KD Lang and Tony Bennett was one of the coolest duos ever. Chemistry people. Chemistry.

What is it with people always complaining???
Morrissey is now as popular as ever. His last two albums have been in the top #5 UK chart and there is a lot of expectation for his new album.
Did anyone see the amount of younger fans there were at his concerts earlier this year? In just over a month he is one of the headliners in a huge UK musical festival :D Not bad for a man knocking on 50.
I know people keep refering back to how successful Madonna is working with young and 'trendy' artists . But Morrissey does not need all these gimicks. The smiths never used gimicks and nor does Morrissey.
"sigh" Some people are complaining about some of the material for the forthcoming album. To be honest I'm not too inspired by some of it either. Although I really like the more 'heavier' sound that the band are turning out.
I think in today's music market it would be very difficult to sell something with a sound like Viva hate or maybe even Vauxhall and I.
Morrissey like most artists is having to change and adapt to attract today's market.
Anyways thank God we can still debate about Moz issues and look forward to new things.

-- is that the guitar long ago ceased to be an interesting-sounding instrument in contemporary pop/rock music. The only way for Morrissey to once again team up with a dynamic, cutting-edge guitarist (established or not) would be to embrace a slightly more experimental musical vision. He has never done that and never will. He's content for his backing tracks to sound (a) strongly in the pop/rock tradition (b) but not experimental in any way and (c) not a copy of his old stuff (?

well he tried to be a bit nosier/experimental with southpaw grammar and it didnt work out that well regarding the record sales..so thts why he didnt go back to a more noisier/experimental sound i guess

Back
Top Bottom