Years of Refusal CD vs LP?

If vinyl was so sonically amazing we would have kept with it. The only reason it is seeing such a boom in popularity is because of ten years of intangible MP3 culture finally wearing thin and little hipster douchebags who are looking for cred.

Cd's are better for most people because on cheap systems they sound better. Vinyl has much wider scope of sound though and if you are looking for something to get the most out of your decent sound system then vinyl will do that for you. Plus I doubt that anybody has got a cd home and fallen in love with how it looks. What a waste of time.

The reason that cd's took over vinyl is called capitalism.

Anyway, back on to topic, YOR isn't the best sounding album and apart from the vinyl edition being ten times nicer to look at than the cd version you won't get a lot more out of it sonically.

Cd's are better for most people because on cheap systems they sound better.

And on good systems they sound even better.

Vinyl has much wider scope of sound though and if you are looking for something to get the most out of your decent sound system then vinyl will do that for you.

That's debatable. Audiophiles aside, the difference is negligible. I've played tons of vinyl next to the CD counterparts next to the good digital file counterparts, and maybe 25 percent of the time I hear a difference. And even then it doesn't blow me away. I'll take the CDs. Middle ground.

Maybe for the first few listens, vinyl can sound really great, in a way that to some ears may trump CD sound depending on the kind of music. But then you've got to deal with snaps crackles and pops. And I'm not talking about the cereal elves.

Plus I doubt that anybody has got a cd home and fallen in love with how it looks. What a waste of time.

Says you. I actually prefer good CD packaging to vinyl packaging.

The reason that cd's took over vinyl is called capitalism.

No, the capitalism came after. CDs were introduced because they were a better way to listen to music. They became MASSIVELY successful saleswise because the populace agreed. Then came the capitalism.

And on good systems they sound even better.

That's debatable. Audiophiles aside, the difference is negligible. I've played tons of vinyl next to the CD counterparts next to the good digital file counterparts, and maybe 25 percent of the time I hear a difference. And even then it doesn't blow me away. I'll take the CDs. Middle ground.

Maybe for the first few listens, vinyl can sound really great, in a way that to some ears may trump CD sound depending on the kind of music. But then you've got to deal with snaps crackles and pops. And I'm not talking about the cereal elves.

Says you. I actually prefer good CD packaging to vinyl packaging.

No, the capitalism came after. CDs were introduced because they were a better way to listen to music. They became MASSIVELY successful saleswise because the populace agreed. Then came the capitalism.

It's factual that vinyl has a far greater capacity for sound whatever we prefer. The rest is all preference and opinion.

It's factual that vinyl has a far greater capacity for sound whatever we prefer. The rest is all preference and opinion.

Capacity is one thing; practicality is another. Vinyl's superior capacity is usually mitigated by the aforementioned pops and scratches as well as inner groove damage, warping, dirt, etc...once again leaving you with the CD having much better sound. All the soundwave-mapping charts and pie graphs and Steve Hoffman bullshit is irrelevant here, I'm simply saying that overall you are going to get better sound on a CD.

Capacity is one thing; practicality is another. Vinyl's superior capacity is usually mitigated by the aforementioned pops and scratches as well as inner groove damage, warping, dirt, etc...once again leaving you with the CD having much better sound. All the soundwave-mapping charts and pie graphs and Steve Hoffman bullshit is irrelevant here, I'm simply saying that overall you are going to get better sound on a CD.

CD's are a pain in the ass. Have you ever had one glare the sun directly into your eyes? I have and now I wear glasses. I don't see my records blinding me...mostly because I can't see a thing now. God damn the compact disc. God damn it to hell.

Stop lying, dad. You know I started collecting records before it was cool to do so.

Oh yeah!? Well...well...well I'm so cool, I hated the vinyl comeback before vinyl even decided to come back! So there.

And stop mouthing off to your father, young lady. Or I'll spank you.

Oh yeah!? Well...well...well I'm so cool, I hated the vinyl comeback before vinyl even decided to come back! So there.

And stop mouthing off to your father, young lady. Or I'll spank you.

Vinyl never left and I can say whatever I want because you still feel guilty about the divorce.

Vinyl never left and I can say whatever I want because you still feel guilty about the divorce.

Oh, what memories this is bringing back..

Actually, that's a complete lie, my parents are devout Catholics and have been married for 34 years. But, carry on, I want to see what it is I was missing out on.

I can say whatever I want because you still feel guilty about the divorce.

:lbf:

Oh, what memories this is bringing back..

Actually, that's a complete lie, my parents are devout Catholics and have been married for 34 years. But, carry on, I want to see what it is I was missing out on.

I can't say anymore. I just truly cannot abide vinyl love in an age where it is so clearly only a trend and/or a psychological hack to make up for a decade of intangibility.

I will respect Motorways; that's it. It's very hard for me to take anyone else seriously when they go on their vinyl-is-best tangents. Especially Morrissey.

Here's a great quote from a Luke Haines interview recently that sums everything up:

Has the growth of the internet changed the way you work as a musician and interact with your fan-base?

Not really. A good "record" is a good "record" regardless of whether it's on a wax cylinder, pianola, 45, or clogging up your hard drive. There is too much talk of the "medium" and not enough about the art.

Except vinyl is better unless you're too retarded to look after your vinyl or can only afford one of those £30 midi systems. Which catagory do you fall in to?

Except vinyl is better unless you're too retarded to look after your vinyl or can only afford one of those £30 midi systems. Which catagory do you fall in to?

So...in your world, if one prefers CD to vinyl, that means they are either a careless, irresponsible oaf or else too poor to afford decent stereo equipment?

When you enroll in high school next year, or whatever they call it in England if you're British, see if they've got a beginner's debate class. Then we'll talk.

So...in your world, if one prefers CD to vinyl, that means they are either a careless, irresponsible oaf or else too poor to afford decent stereo equipment?

When you enroll in high school next year, or whatever they call it in England if you're British, see if they've got a beginner's debate class. Then we'll talk.

Well, I prefer Vinyl in terms of packaging and the warmth of sound BUT I use CDs much more, as there isn't that much difference in sound for me to want to go through the hassle of dealing with Vinyl, turning Lp over, lining up the track etc etc. If you have had a pint or 4 then its too dangerous.
I HATE MP3

All formats have something to offer, and leave something to be desired. I don't hate MP3, but it's definitely the weakest link in the chain. And there are many other digital formats.

Hahahahaha, patronised by a Yank :lbf::lbf::lbf:

You've said yourself that you don't like vinyl because it gets all scratchy after you've played it once. And obviously it's irrefutable that vinyl has a greater range of sound so if you have a decent sound system and you can look after your records then it follows that vinyl will give you a better sound. Don't have a go at my schooling, have a go at science.

Hahahahaha, patronised by a Yank :lbf::lbf::lbf:

You've said yourself that you don't like vinyl because it gets all scratchy after you've played it once. And obviously it's irrefutable that vinyl has a greater range of sound so if you have a decent sound system and you can look after your records then it follows that vinyl will give you a better sound. Don't have a go at my schooling, have a go at science.

Science will never love you like I do.

Back
Top Bottom