He's a Stud, She's a Slut

Well, why else would it matter, if not because of property?

Genes. Sure, you could argue that the aquisition of property by a male and transfer of that property to his offspring helps the offsprings' chances of survival, but other great apes don't have "property" the same way humans do, and yet they exhibit this "double standard" to a certain extent.

Because accidentally we evolved into douchebags :(

Then we self-selected for douchebaggery?

This is all utter bullshit. People make choices to f*** what they want. Having a penis/vagina doesnt excuse anything.

Peer pressure = bad :tears::tears::tears::tears:

To an extent you are right; we choose whether or not to have sex and who we have sex with.

But there are certain trends surrounding genders, and sex is a physiological need.

Genes. Sure, you could argue that the aquisition of property by a male and transfer of that property to his offspring helps the offsprings' chances of survival, but other great apes don't have "property" the same way humans do, and yet they exhibit this "double standard" to a certain extent.

In what ways? I know sexual behaviour in animal kingdom is very diverse, some species are monogamous all their lives, in some species males have "harems" of females, some animals are individuals who mate with different partners every time... All of them have genes, and their genes have needs :eek: Bonobo is genetically very similar to us, then why is our society so different?

Then we self-selected for douchebaggery?

I don't think it was our fault :confused:

Women are more selective men, whoever this doesn't make men "sluts" by default. We'd never have monogamous marriage, then (even if it doesn't work out for half the people that try it).

No, my point wasn't that all men are sluts, but rather if any gender should be referred to as slut, men is the more obvious choice.

Ive never been called a slut in my life.:tears:

And i've never called anyone a stud sadly.I'm thinking where have all the good studs gone and where are all the Gods?:(

I didn't read this whole blathering article, but I suspect that this double standard can be found in just about every culture in the world, and if that's the case, then there may be a biological reason for it. Males can often perpetuate their genes better by spreading them among multiple mates, whereas women increase their chances of their offspring's survival by nurturing those offspring and limiting sexual partners. This is not only because having multiple sexual partners can distract them from taking care of their offspring, but also because male chimpanzees and gorillas (our closest relatives) are known to kill their mates' offspring that was sired by another; perhaps human males did/would, too.

Please don't think that this is a rationalization of the behavior; I'm just sayin' that we tend to forget that our more "animal" nature has a way of expressing itself in ways that we, with our thousands of years of trying to suppress it via "culture," fail to notice.

I've just remembered hearing/reading somewhere that female genes have better chance of survival if she mates with different males (I think it's called "diversification of risk"... you know, like how you manage your portfolio). For example, if a disease spreads, the offspring she has with one male may be susceptible, but the offspring from other males will live.

The same goes for males, of course, but that doesn't explain why women aren't praised for having multiple sex partners, while men are :rolleyes:

I've just remembered hearing/reading somewhere that female genes have better chance of survival if she mates with different males (I think it's called "diversification of risk"... you know, like how you manage your portfolio). For example, if a disease spreads, the offspring she has with one male may be susceptible, but the offspring from other males will live.

The same goes for males, of course, but that doesn't explain why women aren't praised for having multiple sex partners, while men are :rolleyes:

Do women praise each other for having multiple sex partners? I mean IRL, not in Sex and the City.

Do women praise each other for having multiple sex partners? I mean IRL, not in Sex and the City.

I don't think so. Maybe some do :confused: Though personally, I don't think acquiring all existent strains of HPV is laudable, no matter which gender does it :rolleyes:

But generally, speaking of women... they are caryatids of patriarchy :mad: Who do you think performs FGM on little girls in Africa?

I didn't read this whole blathering article, but I suspect that this double standard can be found in just about every culture in the world, and if that's the case, then there may be a biological reason for it. Males can often perpetuate their genes better by spreading them among multiple mates, whereas women increase their chances of their offspring's survival by nurturing those offspring and limiting sexual partners. This is not only because having multiple sexual partners can distract them from taking care of their offspring, but also because male chimpanzees and gorillas (our closest relatives) are known to kill their mates' offspring that was sired by another; perhaps human males did/would, too.

Please don't think that this is a rationalization of the behavior; I'm just sayin' that we tend to forget that our more "animal" nature has a way of expressing itself in ways that we, with our thousands of years of trying to suppress it via "culture," fail to notice.

If your theory is right, I would expect to see differences in the sexual behavior (=man have as many sexual partners as possible while woman choose to only have one), rather than a social double standard (= a man that sleeps around is a stud while a woman that sleeps around is a slut). I find it very hard to believe that social norms are derived from genes.

I think it's wrong to try to make sense in what animals are doing by 'humanizing' them*. I'm not sure you can even talk about double standards when it comes to animals.
As for your example, it is thought that male chimpanzees and gorillas kill their mates' offspring because for as long as the female has a young offspring to take care of she will not mate again. By killing her offspring they make her available as a sexual partner. Cats and lions do that too, and in their case the female is known to have multiple partners when she is in heat.

*which is why I hated the movie Animals in Love. That, and their stupid general massage about the 'right' way to live.

If people were monogamous there would be no further spread of venereal diseases....plain and simple.....

I blame Christianity for these attitudes of sexism.
I only have one female friend who is on the same wavelength as
me about this subject. Even my thirty something niece who is pretty
hip had an argument with me the other day about older women with younger
men, even though she has had more boyfriends than anyone I know.
But, getting to the point. I recently had an experience and the guy
was an acquaintance of my female friend. My female friend has a boyfriend
anyway, but she got very pissed off at me, when her acquaintance (and this
was at her house) came on to me after we all went out drinking,
and as the night went on before I left her place we had a big fight. All this is really unfortunate because she is a very good friend. I don't understand because this is a girl who has her own man and has not been alone for a long time like I have. I am so sick of people expecting me to be miss prim and proper. Hey, I think I better have fun out of town from now on.....

I'm struggling to care about this thread. Just sayin'...

No woman I know (in the three-dimensional world) would see this as an issue. It's a little annoying when feminists go picking through the dictionary looking for examples of sexism, and it's pretty counter-productive to their movement. English is a sexist language. Deal with it.

Coiff.

Tags
tldr
Back
Top Bottom