Johnny Marr appearing on Would I Lie To You (February 9, 2024)

The idea that Johnny only says negative things about M is a long-running gripe... a really entrenched, long-running thing. He was complaining about it 20 years ago ("he says Morrissey is evil and The Smiths was a terrible experience" - 2002) and in Autobio, he seems to have an absurd dossier of every negative headline and article since day dot. It's sad because in obsessing about some offhand comments in 1995 or whatever, he's missed a lot of very kind and sincere things that Johnny said in recent years and that the media haven't bothered to report because it's not as entertaining. I think some people around Moz feed that perception / narrative for their own ends, sadly. It suits them for Morrissey and Marr to be estranged.

And people like Jesse and Nile don't help either :(. Especially Jesse. He's annoying about jm.

I can only speak for myself but with the passing of Andy, and the sorry situation that Moz is currently in - I really feel that we are coming to the end of the 'active' careers of all of the former Smiths. At this point, the mending of bridges between Morrissey and Marr is all that I want.... just to see an end of hostilities would put the cherry on the cake.
Amen to that. I mean even if they never actually get to be on stage together it would be so great if the aggro could be put to rest at least.

Last edited:
And people like Jesse and Nile don't help either :(. Especially Jesse. He's annoying about jm.

Of course it is in Jesse's best interest that Moz and Marr never reconcile - he'd be out in the cold wouldn't he?

… This is the last, unfinished 'strand' of the story and to me it is as important, in its way, as the very beginning with that knock on the door in Stretford. They will go down in history together, feuds or no, and just to see an end of hostilities would put the cherry on the cake.

I agree so much with this sentiment. But I also really have every faith in Mozzy on this subject. I truly, truly do ❤️

img_1_1707059893572~2.jpg

"Singers Sinitta and Johnny Marr and comedians Jo Brand and Ivo Graham join host Rob Brydon and regular captains David Mitchell and Lee Mack on the offbeat panel show."
(from comedy.co.uk)

Jo Brand has a positive Morrissey connection.
I'd guess one of Marr's 'lies' might feature The Smiths era maybe though?
Overall, the show tends to be harmless fun.
FWD.

I love Would I lie to you. The host, Rob Brydon, interviewed Johnny a few years ago introducing him as " One of Britain's most influential musicians, it's as simple as that."

I can only speak for myself but with the passing of Andy, and the sorry situation that Moz is currently in - I really feel that we are coming to the end of the 'active' careers of all of the former Smiths. At this point, the mending of bridges between Morrissey and Marr is all that I want. I couldn't care, really, whether Bonfire ever sees the light of day. I couldn't care about Capitol Records. I've seen enough shows, read enough books, got the albums. This is the last, unfinished 'strand' of the story and to me it is as important, in its way, as the very beginning with that knock on the door in Stretford. They will go down in history together, feuds or no, and just to see an end of hostilities would put the cherry on the cake.

As always I'm totally with you on that @Amy. And somehow (although everything known public of the last few years speaks against this) I'm confident they will make up, preferably in private just for the two of them...they are both very obsessive, spiritual persons and they made each other in some way. They shared - by their own account - an extremely intensive and intimate bond with each other and we're in love/as close as you can get without being physical etc. (and again, these are things they themselves said over the years). They fused their creative energy and created the beautiful thing that is the Smiths. They will always be connected and they know it. I don't think you can be that close in life and important part of the others life story and then just stop and don't care anymore...it might have faded away, surely, but it could never go away completely. I wish at some point they could push their Egos aside and just talk it out. We will see, but I also think that they both would like the fateful meaning of completing the unfinished strand of their story.

As always I'm totally with you on that @Amy. And somehow (although everything known public of the last few years speaks against this) I'm confident they will make up, preferably in private just for the two of them...they are both very obsessive, spiritual persons and they made each other in some way. They shared - by their own account - an extremely intensive and intimate bond with each other and we're in love/as close as you can get without being physical etc. (and again, these are things they themselves said over the years). They fused their creative energy and created the beautiful thing that is the Smiths. They will always be connected and they know it. I don't think you can be that close in life and important part of the others life story and then just stop and don't care anymore...it might have faded away, surely, but it could never go away completely. I wish at some point they could push their Egos aside and just talk it out. We will see, but I also think that they both would like the fateful meaning of completing the unfinished strand of their story.
Not too positive about it. Johnny is very much in the ‘Guardian’-camp now, being championed by the very mainstream that continues to cancel and ridicule Morrissey.
Not before that is over, if it ever will be, is there much chance of them reconciling.
Not to mention Nile…

Not too positive about it. Johnny is very much in the ‘Guardian’-camp now, being championed by the very mainstream that continues to cancel and ridicule Morrissey.
Not before that is over, if it ever will be, is there much chance of them reconciling.
Not to mention Nile…
I really don't think that that would play any factor at all if they would reconcile. They both are too much their own stubborn selfs to care about that. Just because he is "championed" by a newspaper, doesn't mean he is in their "camp" and calibrates his private relationships after that. They both stated in the past, that they know and don't like that their relationship has been owned by the public. So they're aware of that. Not saying they ever will (but I hope and somehow think they will) reconcile, but if they do I don't think any outer factor will play any role in it.

True, if they would reconcile it would play no role.

But I think they never will and that really is a key factor. They’ve grown too far apart. Sadly.

Not to mention Nile…
The media and the music industry have nothing to do with their private relationship. Morrissey was riding high for years when Johnny wasn't and then the tables turned, it's just life. Those industries are fickle. He made the mess he is in and he can't blame anybody else for it.

I remember Moz being asked about Bowie at one point, after they'd fallen out, and he said something like "When I play Starman I can forgive him anything". And I think it must be the same way with The Smiths, he loves those songs and he still sings them, it would be impossible to hate the man who wrote them.

Last edited:
The media and the music industry has nothing to do with their private relationship. Morrissey was riding high for years when Johnny wasn't, it's just life. He made the mess he is in and he can't blame anybody else for it.
Well, but he is, isn’t he? He does blame the media and he won’t be happy with the role Johnny has played in recent year, which resulted in the open letter.

I don’t see them ever speaking to each other again unless Johnny reaches out to Morrissey a few years down the line when the current climate has shifted a little bit, hopefully. But if Johnny had wanted to reach out he could have said something nice (anything) in support of Moz already.

Well, but he is, isn’t he? He does blame the media and he won’t be happy with the role Johnny has played in recent year, which resulted in the open letter.

I don’t see them ever speaking to each other again unless Johnny reaches out to Morrissey a few years down the line when the current climate has shifted a little bit, hopefully. But if Johnny had wanted to reach out he could have said something nice (anything) in support of Moz already.
It is only because they were estranged in the first place that the media have been able to do what they've done - stoke it and poke it and pit them against each other - and it's high time they stopped playing into that game. The irony of the open letter is that it pointed this out (it was basically 'we're being played, stop giving them ammo') -but by just existing, it became ammunition itself. There will a time when none of this matters, nobody lives forever. They need to see the big picture.

Last edited:
It is only because they were estranged in the first place that the media have been able to do what they've done - stoke it and poke it and pit them against each other - and it's high time they stopped playing into that game. The irony of the open letter is that it pointed this out (it was basically 'we're being played, stop giving them ammo') -but by just existing, it became ammunition itself.
True, the open letter was actually a plea from Morrissey to Johnny to mention his name, to say something nice in support, to publicly acknowledge their past and I don’t think Johnny understood it that way, unfortunately.

But who knows in a few years things have changed. If they ever were to speak again it will be Johnny who will have to reach out and knock on that door again, like in 1982.

- 'Rock God & guitar legend Johnny Marr'
- Questioned about Simon Cowell.
- "This is my": he came to my rescue when I was egged in the Co-op.
- Lee: Johnny Marr - the coolest person on the show.
- Manchester, 1979, 3wks working @ Co-op. Sacked and egged.
- human omelette, HKIMN joke by Rob.
- links it to meeting Angie and marrying her.
- he was telling... the truth.
- comments on Brian May.
End.

Tags
johnny marr
Back
Top Bottom