The Smiths ‘A Fool Such As I’ cover - Johnny Marr talking on Radio 2 Jo Whiley show (November 2, 2023)

Very interesting listen when Johnny Marr joined Jo Whiley on her BBC Radio 2 show (02/11/23) , lots of brilliant stories / anecdotes & tunes.

I hadn’t heard about the smiths cover of the elvis song fool such as I
(58mins in the recording)

Transcript excerpt:

Jo Whiley: Pete from Colchester ... Like The Beatles today, are there any uncovered Smiths tracks in the closet?
There's one, there's one song that no one's heard but it's not a Smiths song, it's an Elvis Presley song that we did right at the end. It wasn't a particularly good time so I've never really wanted to go back and revisit. I've got a tape of it somewhere. It's under a dog bed or something.

Under a pedal...
That's probably true. I haven't even seen it for about thirty odd years.

But would you be prepared to go back to it and let people hear it?
...The honest answer is no, I wouldn't really. I think what you're doing is just putting something that was a very kind of negative time out into the world and I'm a bit funny about stuff like that. No one needs to hear it. Also, it was also done by Elvis Presley, I don't really (...?)

What's the song?
It was called "A Fool Such As I". Just stick to the Elvis version.

Yeah, no one needs to hear the Smiths version...

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you really want Jesse to "add" to anything?

He detracts, not adds.

Surprised you would say that. Always thought you were a fan of his.

Maybe it’s another Golden Lights. If it’s not great, then why tarnish the Smiths catalogue?

‘Not great’ by Johnny’s standards, or the fans? I think Golden Lights is great, both versions, but, then again … I’m a fan.

I think Golden Lights is great, both versions, but, then again … I’m a fan.
Me too. I wouldn't necessarily want it on an album at the expense of a Morrissey/Marr original, but for a breezy B-Side it's perfect, plus you've got the added bonus of Kirsty MacColl on vocals. I've never been sure why Johnny seems to hold it in such low regard. Maybe his opinion was coloured by whatever else was going on in the band at the time?

Understandably, Marr has some negative memories attached to it, so that’s another thing not allowing us to hear it.

Edit: would just like to add, always enjoy listening to these Marr interviews. The Hand In Glove story never gets old, for me. And picking Sparks was pleasant surprise.
Pleasantly surprised that he talked kinda warm and honest about it. Both things show what an emotional time it was and that he values it despite all that happened. The "I always thought it was an amazing bit of writing, I love the words on that song." was really sweet, you're right this story never gets old.

Pleasantly surprised that he talked kinda warm and honest about it. Both things show what an emotional time it was and that he values it despite all that happened. The "I always thought it was an amazing bit of writing, I love the words on that song." was really sweet, you're right this story never gets old.

Agree 700%! I actually had to go back and listen to that part earlier today. Very sweet of Johnny. And yes, ‘despite all that happened’ underneath it all, the love of what they’ve accomplished together will always be there.

M talked about this song years ago and that it was the only track left unheard from the Smiths, even if it was a cover. So nothing new.
The dwarf, as usual, talks sh*t indirectly to M, would he ever stop? I don't think so, still needs M and still will.

It's not really surprising, Johnny has usually spoken about the songwriting in the Smiths with warmth and wonder in many interviews and podcasts throughout the years. As a huge Smiths fan, I've pretty much listened to or read all of Johnny's interviews because it's the only source for that kind of inside information.

Go back and listen to those interviews, Johnny's speaks of the Smiths with affection and pride. Morrissey hasn't really talked about that for years. That's why Morrissey's open letter was such a surprise and a shame to stop Johnny from talking about those days and their partnership.

A year or an ago, Marr was talking about a Strangeways box set. I suppose if such a project were to come to fruition, the inclusion of this track would be a big draw, if indeed it exists fully and not - as some have remembered - been partially erased.

Moz put the HIG sleeve at the end of his 'letter' as well. Very personal and important to them both I think.

A 45 that was/is obviously a great favourite of Morrissey's - the B-side (I Need Your Love Tonight) was on the interval tape back in '91...

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom