Berlin - Zitadelle Spandau (July 18, 2011) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in. Beware of anonymous set list trolls!

Set List:

I Want The One I Can't Have / You're The One For Me, Fatty / You Have Killed Me / Speedway / Scandinavia / Ouija Board, Ouija Board / People Are The Same Everywhere / Action Is My Middle Name / Alma Matters / Satellite Of Love / I Know It's Over / Everyday Is Like Sunday / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell / There Is A Light That Never Goes Out / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Meat is Murder / Irish Blood, English Heart // First Of The Gang To Die

set list provided by an anonymous person

Review links posted by sistasheila (more):
Morrissey in der Zitadelle Spandau (photos, 20 total) - BerlinOnline
Morrissey verkündet solide den Weltschmerz - Berliner Morgenpost
Ein Vegetarier beißt sich durch - Der Tagesspiegel
Morrissey spielt jetzt für die neuen Normalos - Welt Online

Last edited:
Ditto with Cashews & Crystal Geezer (Thanks to alex ander, mattisek, 9 x Fined and other actual show reviewers).
Looks like a nice song order, imho.
I think Action Is My Middle Name / Alma Matters / Satellite Of Love are a really good block together, choruses progress up in key, all very melodic. Of course, I'll take Alma Matters anywhere. Such a great song, it really stands out live.

Cheers :guitar:,
romeogirl

Excellent sound tonight I think. One of the best I have ever witnessed in a Moz gig.

This Charming Man out/First of the gang encore/I want the one once again first song. Otherwise setlist close to previous gigs.

Moz and band in good form. The first half of the show (after Speedway) had many new and slower songs. The crowd didn't get too excited I think. Second half was certainly much more enthusiastic with all the hits played on this tour.

"Scandinavia" was played once again.

Moz seemed to enjoy Berlin once again. Just made a statement that there are too many McDonalds in the city (band was once again wearing the Mc-shirts).

Some more banters (from my memory):

I have been to many places (mentions German cities' names) and I've realised "People are the same everywhere" (obviously followed by the song).

Did sing "why do you come here" from Suedehead before the encore.

"My German is quiet fluent... but not tonight"

When Boz started "Irish blood English heart" a bit early he said something like "Boz, your first".

I missed a bit of the energy of previous tours. Moz is certainly not "dancing" and moving around that much even compared to the Tour of Refusal. Something I realised from footage of this tour already.

In the end of the day; good gig, even though not the best one.

thanks for the revieuw Mattisek

:thumb:

[my hope for changing 'I want the one I can't have ' with ' that
joke isn't funny anymore' is gone to dreamland, well you never know,
as he in 2002 played ' Hand in Glove' which he never had done it that tour
later on it became a crowd favourite, should be now too, well he can play any Smiths
song, like the Draze Train:lbf:]

Not coming here anymore, will go to Passions instead, too much hate.

The only complaint that I have is that TIALTNGO was way too slow, other than that it was a great show. Mozzers voice was stronger than ever and the sound was excellent. Oh, and no Shoplifters ... :( ... but we had Speedway ... :thumb:

It seemed to me he was a little upset about people being way more enthusiastic about his older stuff and not really going for the new one. He made a dismissive gesture after having played "Scandinavia", because response was low.
His finger seemed to trouble him once in a while.

One thing I wonder about was that huge gap to the stage and the many firce bouncers. Moz acted like he resented it, and would have liked to touch people, but I have been to the same venue a few times before and never seen that barrier so far from the stage or even any security-guarded barrier at all. It is not the standard of the venue. It must have been there on his own order.

I found the crowd very friendly and easy going, maybe not overly enthusiastic, but enjoying themselves very much, and watching out and smiling at one another.

Had a wonderful night.

Yes, that is completely true, and I agree with every word that w

Rather music for a picnic. lol

I love it how they complain that the butchery sound was not played that is so often complained about here. :D

To those who launched their little smear campaign against somebody here on the website just before the Berlin concert, it has been noted. I cannot stand the person whom you launched your campaign against, but you are none better and to call yourself people with manners is the most laughable I heard in ages. lottie honest, give me a break. Anyway, your aim was once again not missed. Congratulations, you can be proud of yourself. I wish the website had closed down on Wednesday.

You are posting the same harassing thing over and over and that makes you equivalent to a spammer.

That's Paul. After his grotesque behaviour, it's a shame he continues to post here. Nonetheless, as an advocate of freedom of speech I support Paul's right to demonstrate his lack of education and intelligence at every opportunity.

Yes, I see the point that some people are disappointed.

On the other hand I met some not so hardcore-fans who really enjoyed it. Also keep mind that we all know that Moz usually plays his 75/80 minutes sets. You know what you get. Plus you have to keep in mind that due to neighbour claims the concerts at Zitadelle have to finish at 21.30. So there was not really much time left for a longer set.

"I have to make another remark. A lot of people say that his voice is stronger now than ever or in good form or something like this.

I think it's not a matter of the condition of his voice or anything physical, it's something much more fundamental.
For example, i LOVE the way "this charming man" sounds nowadays. It's brutal and juvenile and most of all it's alive (sorry for my poor english, hope you know what i mean). I love this song (like many, many others) since the time it was released, listened to it a thousand times and now it's hard for me to go back to the original recording,
Another example for me is "Seasick",which was my favourite during the YOR tour, it's also always been a great song, but the way he did it 2 years ago made me cry. Tonight in Berlin it was Meat is M that gave me the creeps.

And i love his band.
I love the new sparkling power in his music and it seems to me, also inside the man himself.

There is a strange discrepance in many people's views here. (some of them could be found in a Justin Bieber's fansite in similar forms)
No one ever could really think that he's "nice" (especially to people he dislikes).

But he's an artist who wrote (and still writes) some of the most truthful and unique songs ever, which would not have come to life if he wasn't the person he is.

So he has to go all the way, and if we are serious in our "adoration" we should feel glad about that. "

You're entitled to your opinion but you LOVE the way Mozza has turned This Charming Man into a parody of itself? Really?

Morrissey's band make This Charming Man - one of the finest singles of the early 80s - sound like a McFly cast off. It's tragic, and terribly vulgar. If you can't play Marr's guitar then fine - don't play it at all.

When people say things such as this, I gasp.

Anyway, it sounds like just another boring Mozza gig with a pub rock band played to a half-empty venue, topped off with a power cord-droven TCM and some anger at his fans for not taking to the new 'songs.' Same old.

http://www.radioeins.de/programm/programmbeitraege/aktuell/morrissey0.html

Please could someone translate this, what did the Radio Eins chaps say?
Thanks in advance.

Are they going to broadcast the concert as some stage?

Im sum, they said that the band shits were a little ridiculous, and made that otherwise fantastic band look like school boys, who thought it was a fun idea to get look alike shirts for the gig. That it all started very promising, with Morrissey going to his knees saying "I'm throwing my arms around Berlin" an people cheering, but then it got a little lame for a while. He then changed shirts and things picked up, but then it was over very quickliy.

Morrissey - Everyday is like Sunday - Live @ Zitadelle Spandau, Berlin - July 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
"I have to make another remark. A lot of people say that his voice is stronger now than ever or in good form or something like this.

I think it's not a matter of the condition of his voice or anything physical, it's something much more fundamental.
For example, i LOVE the way "this charming man" sounds nowadays. It's brutal and juvenile and most of all it's alive (sorry for my poor english, hope you know what i mean). I love this song (like many, many others) since the time it was released, listened to it a thousand times and now it's hard for me to go back to the original recording,
Another example for me is "Seasick",which was my favourite during the YOR tour, it's also always been a great song, but the way he did it 2 years ago made me cry. Tonight in Berlin it was Meat is M that gave me the creeps.

And i love his band.
I love the new sparkling power in his music and it seems to me, also inside the man himself.

There is a strange discrepance in many people's views here. (some of them could be found in a Justin Bieber's fansite in similar forms)
No one ever could really think that he's "nice" (especially to people he dislikes).

But he's an artist who wrote (and still writes) some of the most truthful and unique songs ever, which would not have come to life if he wasn't the person he is.

So he has to go all the way, and if we are serious in our "adoration" we should feel glad about that. "

You're entitled to your opinion but you LOVE the way Mozza has turned This Charming Man into a parody of itself? Really?

Morrissey's band make This Charming Man - one of the finest singles of the early 80s - sound like a McFly cast off. It's tragic, and terribly vulgar. If you can't play Marr's guitar then fine - don't play it at all.

When people say things such as this, I gasp.

Anyway, it sounds like just another boring Mozza gig with a pub rock band played to a half-empty venue, topped off with a power cord-droven TCM and some anger at his fans for not taking to the new 'songs.' Same old.

Yes, i am absolutely serious. Believe me, i am one of the strange people who sometimes realize that they almost know every word of almost every smiths song just by listening to them a million times. I really LOVE the new approach to them, because they are just less whiningly, which for me make them much more powerful not only musically ,most of all in the way they affect me. (btw TCM was not played yesterday ,the venue was not at all half-empty and he was not angry at his fans, it seemed as if he made an apologetic gesture after "scandinavia", saying smiling "you never know what's coming next" or something like that).

So,no need to gasp.

The tour's going fine, as you'd know if you'd been to any of the gigs. It's Morrissey-solo that has gone to the dogs, and David Tseng who ought to give it up as a bad mistake.

Sure is a very touching and vibrant tour!

So would it be to see

Status Quo
Nazareth
Mr Big
Fleetwood Mac
Jefferson Starship

Or any other retiered person travelling around Europe with their old shit.

Please Morrissey - go home!

Morrissey - Everyday is like Sunday - Live @ Zitadelle Spandau, Berlin - July 2011

That band sounds f***ing great and epic and f*** you people for saying otherwise and f*** you, David, for allowing them to say it.

It's really sick, at this point in Moz' career that anyone should say anything negative at all. I'd say we are lucky to have anything from him, 30 years on. Bless him and bless his feelings towards this shitty god-awful website.

I, for one, will never let this website and all the sick opinions therein to ever change how I feel about Morrissey. It is about Morrissey, you know, not Jesse, not Spencer, not Johnny or Alain or anyone else. The fact that you people don't get this means you don't get Morrissey, nor will you ever. Those of us that know, will always know, and those of you that don't, never will, including Tseng.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom