Four letter words

I know, I'm studying English as well! I should be ashamed of myself. :tears:

And it went ok thanks, it's a bit patchy, some of my hair is only dyed at the ends, and I managed to make a huge mess in the bathroom, but overall I like it. :D

Good,I always wanted a blue mohican,but my hair goes curly after a while,and I end up "Looking like Shirley Temple" as my dad would say

Yes, but whisper it.

"Ey up lass,fancy a f***?"

God damn that's f***in sexy.

I would rather him wail in my ear than say something coarse, then again, maybe not

i want to pick sides here. scarlet, crystal, post pictures of yourselves. i will side with the comelier of the two.

i want to pick sides here. scarlet, crystal, post pictures of yourselves. i will side with the comelier of the two.

That is me in the avatar

Why has Morrissey resorted to swearing in songs in the last 5 years, when he managed to successfully write without it for the previous 20 years?

it's a good question. people may give examples of earlier swearing but it's undeniable that his lyrics have become a lot more clumsy in recent years.
on a similar theme, one of my least favourite lyric changes is "let me have who I want" in recent live versions of Please, Please, Please.
how to almost ruin an amazing song (I think Goddard also singles this out in Mozipedia).
why is he doing this? I think he's become a lot more angry and bitter in the last 10 years, and, one might add, for good reason.
a lot of the subtlety and poetry has drained from his lyrics. occasionally, they make a reappearance but it's the exception rather than the rule these days.

The real question is why he waited so long.

"Nothing is important, so people, realising that, should get on with their lives, go mad, take their clothes off, jump in the canal, jump into one of those supermarket trolleys, race around the supermarket and steal Mars bars and, y'know, kiss kittens and sit on the back of bread vans."​

it's a good question. people may give examples of earlier swearing but it's undeniable that his lyrics have become a lot more clumsy in recent years.
on a similar theme, one of my least favourite lyric changes is "let me have who I want" in recent live versions of Please, Please, Please.
how to almost ruin an amazing song (I think Goddard also singles this out in Mozipedia).
why is he doing this? I think he's become a lot more angry and bitter in the last 10 years, and, one might add, for good reason.
a lot of the subtlety and poetry has drained from his lyrics. occasionally, they make a reappearance but it's the exception rather than the rule these days.

I'm afraid I disagree regarding 'Please, Please, Please' Let Me Get What I Want'. Janice Long played The Smiths version just last night and it sounded as sublime as ever, but as it played I thought to myself that the recent Morrissey lyric tweek was only a matter of coming clean. The song is basically about having who he wants, it always was. Youthful Moz was just a tad more reserved. One could say more subtle or romantic, windswept, interesting, etcetera. But as a fifty year old human being perhaps he just thought 'f*** it, say it as I see it'.
Rather than finding it clumsy, I found the recent live version to be all the more poignant because of the comparison with the original. In the sense of a fifty year old man conversing with his twenty five year old self. I certainly didn't think 'why are you murdering this?' The voice singing the words was more beautiful than it had ever been.
As to the wider point, I find a different kind of poetry in the starkness of matureMoz lyricism. The poetry inherent in a man in the autumn of his years facing down some uncomfortable truths, dispensing with subtlety and writing boldly, and, more so than ever, singing as if his life depended on it. Would you really want him to be writing in the same lyrical style as his 25 year old version of himself? And part of the enduring appeal of Morrissey, to me, is his continual converstaion with his skinnymalink former lyrical self. Each shift and manoeuvre in style reflects back on his earlier work and says something new and fascinating about the artist.
Or maybe I'm just a bitter old scrote too ;)

Back
Top Bottom