Morrissey Central "There Is A Happy Land." (February 14, 2024)

That’s how people… Mr. Grownup …

In terms of Morrissey’s career trajectory, this single had a lot to answer for—it being (1) crap, and (2) appearing on a long player way before it came out on the album.

In terms of Morrissey’s career trajectory, this single had a lot to answer for—it being (1) crap, and (2) appearing on a long player way before it came out on the album.
I think at that stage of his career, he probably needed a couple of tracks to bulk it out a little bit. The fact they’re the same versions speaks volumes

His worst single to date. Crap lyrics, crap music and that shrieking banshee in the background.

Moaning Myrtle’s quality control department should have burned this track. Unfortunately there is no such department.

His worst single to date. Crap lyrics, crap music and that shrieking banshee in the background.

Moaning Myrtle’s quality control department should have burned this track. Unfortunately there is no such department.
This and …Paris are the two songs that really started turning me off modern-day Mozi.

It wouldn’t have passed muster as a B-side in the 90s. And yet here it was trying to shift units not once (as a stand-alone single), not twice (as a reason to buy the compendium), but three f***ing times (the monstrosity returning on the studio album).

It was debuted on Russell Brand’s radio show in the UK—with some fanfare from the former. A friend and I took special time out to listen together; we couldn’t quite believe it.

Sandwiched between the brilliant Carol, and ace Farewell (on Years of Reluctance, as you call it), it annoyingly goes on as if a stubborn skid mark, in the gusset of a crisp white pair of sexy CKs.

I still quite like the album, but those two songs in particular are shite.
It’s a pity that That’s How People Grow Up and All You Need Is Me were included on Years of Refusal. I think I’d feel more affection for them if they’d been left stranded without a home, like Pregnant for the Last Time and My Love Life.

"That's How I Got Exhausted" sung to the tune of "That's How People Grow Up"

I burned through my days
Desperately chasing after live dates
Disappointment descended upon me
Crushed my spirit, left me battered and drained

But that's how people get exhausted
That's how people get exhausted

I drank away my nights
Hunted for affection
Yearned for someone to see me
As their shining beacon
I wasted away my moments
Prayed for love
For a love that remained elusive
From someone who was nothing but a figment

And that's how I got exhausted
That's how I got exhausted

Let me have existed
Before I wither away
No, not me
Not exhaustion

I squandered my very essence
Consumed by self-absorption
A voice from the brink of death murmured
There were other torments, too

Cancelled shows and tours, with no apologies to my fans
A burden I carry, a weight upon my conscience
Each missed connection, each broken promise
Adding to the fatigue, the relentless march of exhaustion

Resting in Zurich under Captain Donnie's orders
Yet even in the sanctuary of sleep, the demons of exhaustion haunt me
Every moment is a battle against the unyielding tide of fatigue

As for me, I am exhausted
For now, at least

It's a great track! The lyrics are a touch clunky at one point, but otherwise are very good. And it is one of his best vocal performances imo.

Personally I like the 'Shrieking Banshee', and what's more I would rather listen to that screeching than practically anything on World Peace. I did a poll on Reddit asking whether people liked the screaming, and the majority liked it.

I actually think YOR is underrated and one of his last good records. Carol and One Day Goodbye are excellent!

Back
Top Bottom