The vulgarity of his lyrics

I know what hands are for, and I'd like to help myself

It means even love-mad or sex-mad people would stop short of loving the girl described in the song.

I always thought this too.

"And I can see throught everyboy's clothes" might it be vulgar or sexual or just talk 'bout a man w/ x-ray eyes?
(I am obviously joking).

I never thought of it sexually, but it does make sense. Unless Morrissey was really revealing that he's actually a robot in 'Sister I'm A Poet', which makes even more sense. :lbf:

As requested on the previous page, here are some Moz-made innuendos which I prepared earlier:
"I've not been feeling myself tonight"
"And when I swing it, so it catches his eye" (not so sure about this one- do I just have a dirty mind?)
"And then you gave me something that I won't forget too soon"

Those are all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure there are more.

All these interpretations of "November..." excite me, though I don't ever want to discuss any lyrics that I hold particularly dear for sentimental reasons - my individual interpretation will be ripped apart and I'll never think about them in the same way again.

Thank you for those extra lyrics, Girl-with-a-thorn. Mozipedia does mention "So it catches his eye..." as a sexual reference, and I would say that it's particularly distasteful :D

So, whilst we're all aware of the clichéd celibacy of Morrissey, would anyone say that his lyrics suggest an attitude summarised by "Sometimes I fancy sex, but on the whole I'd rather keep a safe distance. And by the way, I don't like talking about it".

Dangerous to summarise Morrissey, I know.

Last edited:
Oh!....oooh.

Thank you for that insight :)

He's right.

I wasn't being sarcastic, for the record :)

And what does it mean?

Cock sucking, but I don't think reel around the fountain is about that.

Don't make fun of Daddy's voice is about oral sex

I think ''you have killed'' me is also worth mentioning in this thread,although I think it'd be more appropriate to post my observations from this song in some thread about homosexual references..(but I am too lazy to find it,if it even exists..:p)

The verse in question is:

I entered nothing and nothing entered me
'Til you came with the key
And you did your best but

The ''key'' and ''I entered nothing and nothing entered me'' sound extremely gay to me. And I believe no additional explaining of the symbolic is needed:)

For some reason,even the 'but' at the end began to sound like ''butt'' to me:)

The gestures in the video of this song, which accompany this verse, are quite explicit too :p

And as far as I know,the verse ''Visconti is me
Magnani you'll never be'' is about Luchino Visconti and Anna Magnani. He was a film director and she starred in many of his movies.Apparently Anna fell in love with Luchino, but he could not return her his feelings for he was gay.

There is also the reference to Pasolini, who was known to be gay. Accatone is Pasolini's movie,about a roman pimp,which I haven't watched yet so I don't know.Perhaps Morrissey refers to the person whom he sings about as being overrated by his imagination,same as Accatone was a creation of Pasolini's fantasy. But I could be totally wrong...

My own personal intrpretation of "You Have killed me" is :-
A catchy tune, but lyrically....
Pretentious Utter Twaddle...Be Honest...most of us Mozzer fans didn't have a clue what he was blathering on about anyway...thank heavens for wikipedia etc...so now it all makes perfect sense......(?).
As we are all now very well aware, Pasolini's films were a shining light of hope in the Post-surreal quasi-existensialistic searing socio-Philosophical/metaphysical Mileu of Morrisseys early childhood....I just preferred watching "The Champions" as an 8 year old....not some black and white European pap ( with subtitles...) about older "Foreign" peoples inner angsts and turmoils...
Anyway, in my opinion, he should have had Stuart Damon as a record cover "star"...

My own personal intrpretation of "You Have killed me" is :-
A catchy tune, but lyrically....
Pretentious Utter Twaddle...Be Honest...most of us Mozzer fans didn't have a clue what he was blathering on about anyway...thank heavens for wikipedia etc...so now it all makes perfect sense......(?).
As we are all now very well aware, Pasolini's films were a shining light of hope in the Post-surreal quasi-existensialistic searing socio-Philosophical/metaphysical Mileu of Morrisseys early childhood....I just preferred watching "The Champions" as an 8 year old....not some black and white European pap ( with subtitles...) about older "Foreign" peoples inner angsts and turmoils...
Anyway, in my opinion, he should have had Stuart Damon as a record cover "star"...

yeah it is a bit pretentious.but perhaps he WANTED us to find out what it is about because he finds that intellectual :D

Although I have to say that I watched that about Anna Magnani and Luchino Visconti on italian tv. Tried to find out more on the internet,but did not managed to find anything so I decided to post it on here in case somebody didn't know about it.So yes, since it cannot be find anywhere,the lyric remains pretentious :/

Did he really watch Pasolini when he was 8?that shit can be creepy!

Last edited:
I can see why you have chosen to interpret the song "You Have Killed Me" that way, but I have never thought about it like that. Perhaps it's just a little too easy to take homosexual interpretations - that's what I'm tending to think.

"I entered nothing,
And nothing entered me,
'Til you came with the key,
As I live and breathe
You have killed me"

This song has always been totally sexless in my eyes/ears. It means that he felt senseless and dull, by saying that nothing "entered (him)" and he didn't "enter (anything)". Then 'a person' came along with "the key" that awoke him from that senseless state, and he felt that a door had been opened. But, alas, nothing really lasts for long in 'Morrisseyshire' and after they parted (I've always thought it was a break-up) he was "living and breathing" but "killed". "Gasping but somehow still alive", perhaps?

I'm sorry if my interpretation is hideously dull and off-target. I just feel that this interpretation fits well into the the theme of realisation and awakening in the rest of the album, particularly with "At Last I Am Born". Saying that, however, the gay theme fits very well with "Dear God Please Help Me"; it's hard to say.

I can see why you have chosen to interpret the song "You Have Killed Me" that way, but I have never thought about it like that. Perhaps it's just a little too easy to take homosexual interpretations - that's what I'm tending to think.

"I entered nothing,
And nothing entered me,
'Til you came with the key,
As I live and breathe
You have killed me"

This song has always been totally sexless in my eyes/ears. It means that he felt senseless and dull, by saying that nothing "entered (him)" and he didn't "enter (anything)". Then 'a person' came along with "the key" that awoke him from that senseless state, and he felt that a door had been opened. But, alas, nothing really lasts for long in 'Morrisseyshire' and after they parted (I've always thought it was a break-up) he was "living and breathing" but "killed". "Gasping but somehow still alive", perhaps?

I'm sorry if my interpretation is hideously dull and off-target. I just feel that this interpretation fits well into the the theme of realisation and awakening in the rest of the album, particularly with "At Last I Am Born". Saying that, however, the gay theme fits very well with "Dear God Please Help Me"; it's hard to say.

I completely agree with your interpretation. Whilst there's definitely innuendo in "I entered nothing, and nothing entered me", I'd never really seen the song in a sexual light in terms of the narrative or the subject matter.

Thank you, girl-with-the-thorn :)

I have a real urge to steer this thread back to contemptuous and vulgar sexually themed lyrics (and their meanings) but perhaps I'm powerless to stop it!

Last edited:
I completely agree with your interpretation. Whilst there's definitely innuendo in "I entered nothing, and nothing entered me", I'd never really seen the song in a sexual light in terms of the narrative or the subject matter.

Well I seem to be the problematic one :D I guess I got this impression from what I've heard about Magnani and Visconti, as I have already written :p And now it is as solid as a rock in my consciousness :p incurable:squiffy:

Last edited:
Well I seem to be the problematic one :D I guess I got this impression from what I've heard about Magnani and Visconti, as I have already written :p And now it is as solid as a rock in my consciousness :p uncurable:squiffy:

It's as solid as my own, personal experiences that I attach, I imagine! At the end of the day, it's my own experiences that form the interpretations I have of Morrissey's songs. I think there must be good reasons why Morrissey included the names of those Italians - perhaps you have it right.

Back
Top Bottom