The vulgarity of his lyrics

yeah it is a bit pretentious.but perhaps he WANTED us to find out what it is about because he finds that intellectual :D

Although I have to say that I watched that about Anna Magnani and Luchino Visconti on italian tv. Tried to find out more on the internet,but did not managed to find anything so I decided to post it on here in case somebody didn't know about it.So yes, since it cannot be find anywhere,the lyric remains pretentious :/

Did he really watch Pasolini when he was 8?that shit can be creepy!

..I don't know if he actually did watch Pasolini movies at that age....BUT...he often went on about "British" Films back in the 1980's, which had Influenced and "Touched" him personally....as his earlier Lyrics/Smiths record covers can sometimes show....Again, I was too busy watching stuff like "Thunderbirds"...( and, let's face it as much as I love Marianne Faithfuls music, "Girl on a motorcycle" is a Badly produced/directed/ shoddily acted CRAP movie...And "The Leather Boys" is just sheer Out and out awfulness.... And I never did quite "get" the Andy warhol Joe Dellasandro cover pic ..( Nope, admit it, most of you didn't either, at the time...I just thought it was a man with large tits.....)

I just find it rather odd that a Man who made his name singing (Brilliantly) about growing up in the North of England somehow ends up singing about "Mexico", Italy, walking through Rome, and telling America that it is NOT the world ( whilst living and earning a decent income there...In Clark Gables Old home, FFS!!!).
I don't blame him for visiting James Deans grave though...the record company probably payed for it anyway..... I'd rather go to pay respects to Buddy Holly....but that's just me....)

But, just occasionally ... More than MOST songwriters I have I have ever, ever heard, he can still leave me Jaw-Droppingly Stunned with a Great, simply stated, but GENIUS Line....
...Even if I do have to "Look" it up to try and understand it sometimes....

In the meantime...I'm throwing my arms around Paris......who needs an Atlas anymore?? Morrissey is the NEW Alan whicker.....

Last edited:
I've never thought about the difference between Morrissey's older worldly-worn self and his younger 'only-ever-went-to-New-York' self. But many men like him have grown from that sheltered lifestyle to an easier and more affluent one. Do you think thats how he keeps such a large, loyal audience?

I, myself, do not believe it's about creating a child, with the line ''must pause and draw the line''. i always thought it was about having sex with the disabled girl
Scarlet, could you expand on this please? I'm now very intrigued! I've always thought it was simply about the disabled girl not being able to find love etc. due to the nature of her condition and how society generally treats people like her?

Scarlet, could you expand on this please? I'm now very intrigued! I've always thought it was simply about the disabled girl not being able to find love etc. due to the nature of her condition and how society generally treats people like her?

Instead of hearing the words 'where mad mad lovers' take heed of the live version 'where sex mad lovers must pause and draw the line'......

I might be being hideously patronising but that variation is available on Beethoven Was Deaf if you wanted it :)

Not at all, thanks! I tend not to ever bother with live albums, but I'll have to get this soon :)

Not really vulgar but Stretch Out and Wait could be interpreted in a lot of ways.

Stretch out and wait
Stretch out and wait
Let your puny body
Lie down, lie down

Then the line about God, how sex implores you.

I love this song and have always thought he was sending out the message to not rush into sexual encounters.

What do the rest of you think?

Not really vulgar but Stretch Out and Wait could be interpreted in a lot of ways.

Stretch out and wait
Stretch out and wait
Let your puny body
Lie down, lie down

Then the line about God, how sex implores you.

I love this song and have always thought he was sending out the message to not rush into sexual encounters.

What do the rest of you think?

I always thought the opposite!

First he says
"ignore all the codes of the day
let your juvenile impulses sway" - kind of sounds like go ahead and have sex despite what your teachers and priests tell you

and then later after contemplating various things about life etc he says
"what I do know is we're here and it's now"
I thought he was saying, yes, we can talk about all these abstract ideas til we're blue in the face, but here's something tangible we can do!

But maybe I've just always heard it the wrong way.

Nobody loves us, so we tend to please ourselves...

While it may not be about pleasing one self in that way, I do get a chuckle out of thinking that it is.

the most "vulgar" one hasn't been mentioned.

If you ever need self-validation
just meet me in the alley by the railway station
it's all over my face

he's dropped "written" this time just to make it more obvious.

it's all over my face

Wha??!!??!!!! :eek: No way. This is funny Rorschach test. :o

it's all over my face

That gives "I want the one I can't have" a darker feeling than I ever gave it. It's just so striking now that you have explained your interpretation (and most likely the intended interpretation), but I never noticed it before.

So, by self-validation, he means "come and look at me, if you like, and you'll see that your life isn't as bad as mine; I'm getting my kicks with a guy down a dark alley, and I look a hideous mess".

But, I think "Stretch Out And Wait" may be the exception to the rule. Morrissey seems so condoning of juvenile impulses and the liberation of sex. He seems to see it as a whimsical distraction from those abstract ideas that Not_me_not_I mentioned, the kind that take over your mind. The weird thing is, even though on the whole I seem to agree with Morrissey's view of sex, I still agree with this exception. Damn it.

Nobody loves us, so we tend to please ourselves...

While it may not be about pleasing one self in that way, I do get a chuckle out of thinking that it is.

Which song is this lyric taken from? :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh, thanks Kewpie, I didn't notice your edit :) I still haven't got Southpaw Grammar, I think it's the artwork that's always put me off...

And thank you mywar, I haven't got that compilation album either.

Back
Top Bottom