Morrissey's letter to The Times

Probably not adding much here, but here's the letter itself...

2vcvs0m.jpg

P.

anyone else doubting this is Morrissey?
does he read "the times"? - why enter into this debate in the letters page of the right wing press, doesn't he have a better forum, for example the stage or a song? - has he ever even done an interview for "the times"?
I find it hard to imagine him writing the words "I welcome ann widdecombe’s views......."
Does he really think stella mccartney is visionary? - is the production of faux fur suddenly thanks to her? - this letter seems very muddled.
Also the letter reads in part like an appeal to the queens better nature (does she have one?? since when?) - why would the sight of a bear skin "jab at the queen’s heart" when she loves to hunt and covers herself in fur robes - it makes no sense.

Am i the only one saying hoax?

does he read "the times"? - why enter into this debate in the letters page of the right wing press, doesn't he have a better forum, for example the stage or a song? - has he ever even done an interview for "the times"?
I find it hard to imagine him writing the words "I welcome ann widdecombe’s views......."
Does he really think stella mccartney is visionary? - is the production of faux fur suddenly thanks to her? - this letter seems very muddled.
Also the letter reads in part like an appeal to the queens better nature (does she have one?? since when?) - why would the sight of a bear skin "jab at the queen’s heart" when she loves to hunt and covers herself in fur robes - it makes no sense.

Possibly he also sent the letter to other broadsheets, The Times is the first to publish the letter.

ann widdecombe’s article to which he is refering to would be interesting to read ....

He's replying in The Times because the article to which he is responding was in The Times.

Re: Ann Widdecombe

Ann Widdecombe’s article to which he is refering to would be interesting to read.

:rolleyes:

Although I haven't read the article and she's against animal cruelty shows that she's a decent woman, I don't like her.

The world is speeding up: Morrissey is slowing down.

Re: Ann Widdecombe

Just because shes against animal cruelty,it doesn't make her a decent woman

No, but I bet it's enough for Morrissey to like her.

"Bears may kill but it’s cruel to kill bears too
Shooting a mother is a death sentence for her cubs too

Ann Widdecombe
Last updated July 30 2010 12:01AM
Two years ago I hosted a screening of video footage shot on a bear hunt in Canada, where fur for the bearskin hats worn by the British Army’s Guards regiments comes from. The complete disregard for suffering would appal any decent person.

So the recent announcement that the skins used to make the distinctive hats now come from brown bears, not black ones, makes little difference to me. Bears are bears, and suffering is suffering. The real question is why are any bears killed for their fur when synthetic materials are available?

Most of the British public opposes killing animals for nothing more than a ceremonial headpiece — and I agree. A YouGov poll commissioned by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) found that only 14 per cent of Britons support the use of real fur for the hats. I invite this minority — and Ministry of Defence officials, many of whom seem content to drag their feet on this — to watch the video (it is online at UnbearableCruelty.com). I can’t imagine anyone saying that real fur is desirable after watching it.

In Canada, it is not uncommon to hunt from bait sites. Food is left out so that bears become used to going to the same spot to eat. Hunters wait in tree stands and kill the animals who come looking for their regular meal.

The footage includes shots of a hungry mother bear being lured to such a site, and being gunned down for her fur — leaving her cub orphaned. “Baiting” bears like this is cowardly and cruel. Killing a mother is a death sentence for her cubs too, as nursing cubs depend on their mothers for everything. Biologists estimate that 70 per cent of cubs who are orphaned die within a year from starvation, exposure or predation. Many bears do not die right away and are shot many times. Some wander off to bleed slowly to death. The video also shows hunters making crude jokes and laughing as they skin a bear. Is this the sort of violent subculture that we taxpayers wish to support?

Fortunately, we don’t have to. For some years, the fashion designer Stella McCartney and the Canadian eco-designer Atom Cianfarani have been developing a faux-fur hat that can pass the MoD’s water-resistance tests. Peta recently presented a prototype to Peter Luff, the Defence Minister, and I am heartened to hear that he has approved further testing.

Switching to faux fur would not only benefit bears. Synthetic fur is lighter and more breathable than real fur — a plus for the Guards on hot summer days. It is also cheaper. I urge Mr Luff and the MoD to find a suitable alternative to bear fur. For hundreds of magnificent bears in Canada, the situation is critical. It’s time we ended our war against these beautiful animals."

Last edited:
NOT ME

ARTICLE WAS IN THE TIMES AND YES HE'S DONE SEVERAL INTERVIEWS FOR THE TIMES

I THINK HE WAS PROBABLY AMUSING HIMSELF BY USING THIS AS HIS OPENING GAMBIT

http://blog.peta.org/archives/bearskins/ He's not the first celebrity to raise the issue and I doubt he'll be the last. Thumbs up for Pink btw

I don't think its a hoax. He has a reissued album to promote as well remember. Good talking point in any interviews that may pop up.

However to give you credit I would have thought this letter would have made an appearance on True-To-You so there is a slight possibility it is

I don't think its a hoax. He has a reissued album to promote as well remember. Good talking point in any interviews that may pop up.

However to give you credit I would have thought this letter would have made an appearance on True-To-You so there is a slight possibility it is

The point about the upcoming record is a very pertinent one. I recall a point in the leaked letter (around the time of 'The Youngest') where Morrissey himself made a point of mentioning his animal rights comments in connection with his media visibility around the time of the song's release.

Peter

The TTY reference may lag behind a bit as he wouldn't necessarily have known if the letter would be published. I had the same thought; we'll see if it shows up.

You doubted he reads The Times. Well he obviously does, having read the original Widdecombe article and responded to it.

Peter

no peter i am doubting that its him at all - one reason i do is because i can't imagining him reading the times, let alone writing in - i could be wrong

I am suspicious. I doubt Morrissey would sign : Morrissey, singer, Cheshire.

He did an interview with the Times in 2006.

no peter i am doubting that its him at all - one reason i do is because i can't imagining him reading the times, let alone writing in - i could be wrong

Someone might be pointed out the article then Morrissey decided to write a letter.

Last edited:
The point about the upcoming record is a very pertinent one. I recall a point in the leaked letter (around the time of 'The Youngest') where Morrissey himself made a point of mentioning his animal rights comments in connection with his media visibility around the time of the song's release.

Peter

*Look of infinite surprise.*

some intresting point about Ann Widdecombe taken from her Wiki:

she is a supporter of "traditional family values"
she is an anti-abortion campaigner
she believe in a zero tolerance policy of prosecution for users of cannabis
she opposed the repeal of section 28 of the local government act, which banned the promotion of homosexuality by local governments.
she is a practising roman catholic, who converted in 1993 after leaving the church of England in protest at the ordination of female priests
she defended the Government's policy to shackle pregnant women with handcuffs and chains when in hospital giving birth

Tags
bare skin bearskin
Back
Top Bottom