Morrissey's letter to The Times

don't bother writing to the times its an awful rag - why not write a poem or sing a song?

K will do. :)

About checking the identity, it's just that, if they don't, Morrissey could sue the Times for printing a letter that was signed "Morrissey, sinner" if he didn't write it. No?

They're journalists, even if they don't know the lyrics to "you know I couldn't last, "they must be vaguely aware of his fondness for saying "YEH RIGHT! SEE YOU IN COURT!"...

K will do. :)

About checking the identity, it's just that, if they don't, Morrissey could sue the Times for printing a letter that was signed "Morrissey, sinner" if he didn't write it. No?

They're journalists, even if they don't know the lyrics to "you know I couldn't last, "they must be vaguely aware of his fondness for saying "YEH RIGHT! SEE YOU IN COURT!"...

The times is not claiming that "Morrissey, singer, chesire" is THE Morrissey they are just printing the letter as sent - therefore no court case

"Morrissey, sinner" - made me lol

Last edited:
If someone said their name was Morrissey and was from Cheshire, I think The Times would have to find out it was genuine....it's like someone putting Dame Shirley Bassey from Wales at the end of their letter, they wouldn't publish it if they thought it was from someone else, if anything they'd put "annoymous" or not print the letter...

The times is not claiming that "Morrissey, singer, chesire" is THE Morrissey they are just printing the letter as sent - therefore no court case - there are lots of people in the world with the name "Morrissey" possibly at least one of them lives in chesire

...and is a singer?

:)... You'd make an excellent lawyer! ;)

You really think Morrissey would give his contact details - phone number, email address and home address to the editor of the times???????

surely i could just as easily give my contact details and say my name was Morrissey? - it would explain why Morrissey suddenly lives in chesire

He's had a house there for quite a while I think.

The mist-- er...eccentricities...in the letter make it more authentic, not less.

And he was agreeing with the views in Ann's op-ed piece, not proclaiming his love and devotion to her as a human being.

I think it's amusing that Morrissey doesn't consider a couple of ceremonial soldiers dressed up like Victorian toys, sporting hats made of fake bear fur designed by Paul McCartney's daughter, isn't also a nadir of the human spirit. Or maybe that was his sly little joke. :rolleyes:

Yes, all very true.

If someone said their name was Morrissey and was from Cheshire, I think The Times would have to find out it was genuine....it's like someone putting Dame Shirley Bassey from Wales at the end of their letter, they wouldn't publish it if they thought it was from someone else, if anything they'd put "annoymous" or not print the letter...

I think you over-estimate "the times "

Would it be the first time the letters page had fallen foul of a hoax? - i very much doubt it - you should read "private eye"

again i must add, i could be wrong - but i'd be a little disappointed if i was - we'll have to wait and see

It seems weird though that a widely read British paper would make such a silly mistake though...but yes, we shall wait and see!

I love this man so much.

Such a pity Russell mentioned his love for Morrissey did not need to be shown through ones tattoos but the lyrics are already on his heart too late.

and which paper fell for the fake diaries and failed to properly check?- wait for it... "the times"

Aye that was my point. Well spotted!

don't bother writing to the times its an awful rag - why not write a poem or sing a song?

OK, I'll start.

There once was a singer from Cheshire

Where's The Cat's Mother to finish it off, please?

OK, I'll start.

There once was a singer from Cheshire

Where's The Cat's Mother to finish it off, please?

there once was a singer from cheshire
whose hats where made to measure
made from fur that was faux
so the guards on show
could dress without pain, with pleasure.

some info about Ann Widdecombe's campaign -

Conservative MP Ann Widdecombe has unveiled new video footage from an undercover investigation into the slaughter of black bears in Canada – the source of fur for Britain's Royal Guards' caps. The footage shows hungry mother bears as they are lured to bait sites, only to be gunned down for their fur, leaving their cubs orphaned. The shocking video, which Ms Widdecombe showed at the Houses of Parliament to a room full of media and other governmental figures, shows the baiting, shooting and skinning of bears by hunters who make crude sexist comments as they work.

Ms Widdecombe and PETA are calling on the Ministry of Defence and HRH Queen Elizabeth to end the use of bear fur for The Queen's Guards' caps. The Ministry of Defence has spent more than £321,000 on bearskin caps in the past five years alone. More than 200 MPs signed an Early Day Motion calling on the government to switch to a modern and humane synthetic fabric. Celebrities including Sir Roger Moore, Mary McCartney and Sadie Frost have also called on the government to "go faux".

4854431035_a344d06abf.jpg

Tags
bare skin bearskin
Back
Top Bottom