Music-News / Fiona Dodwell: "Morrissey UK tour a hit with fans despite continued label silence" (July 19, 2023)

Excerpt:

Brit music legend Morrissey has been touring live dates across the UK with his new band line-up. With long-time lead guitarist Jesse Tobias now playing alongside Carmen Vandenberg, Juan Galeano and Brendan Buckley, Morrissey has been performing a string of sold-out shows in Leeds, Portsmouth, Dublin and Liverpool. With the next show being at London's Troxy this coming Saturday – also now sold out – the former Smiths frontman has been delighting crowds by performing a string of both old hits and new, as yet unreleased, tracks.

New Dodwell piece, if anyone is interested.
Same as the others

Dudwell keeps saying the situation is "baffling" but it really, really isn't.

Aside from the money issues, if any label put out either of these albums (one with "BoT" on it, the other with "Notre Dame") then other acts on that label - or employees who work for it - would, I'm sure, protest very loudly.

That's how the world works these days, rightly or wrongly.
Was going to say exactly that. It's not 'baffling' at all. No mainstream label is going to release an album containing Bonfire or an album containing Notre Dame. The songs relate to topics that are 'verboten'. The way things are going - Moz should count himself lucky he's not facing trumped up charges or having his shows cancelled by venues. Simply being ignored by the mainstream media and the big labels is maybe the lesser of evils. Just release the material himself. Sell it via Mporium. It's not rocket science how to escape from the current impasse.

Yeah, but I suspect she might have (or hopes to reach) a wider reader audience than just 'solo', & I'm sure that other (possibly less informed/less invested) audience might also find it completely baffling.
She was following me on Twitter when I was on there and she does have other interest and would like write or possibly does write for them. One interest being Zak from Ghost Adventures.

Dudwell keeps saying the situation is "baffling" but it really, really isn't.

Aside from the money issues, if any label put out either of these albums (one with "BoT" on it, the other with "Notre Dame") then other acts on that label - or employees who work for it - would, I'm sure, protest very loudly.

That's how the world works these days, rightly or wrongly.
I’m not sure how many blue haired, genderqueer communists work for record labels but it only takes one with a twitter account to bring the whole operation down.

I’m not clicking on the agreement on the website, so I can’t read it…

Morrissey UK tour a hit with fans despite continued Moz whining.
"Obvious and expected results of tour leave singer complaining about expected status quo on lack of record deal."

Don't get me wrong... I'm going to be seeing him in NYC this year.. but seriously.. he either needs to release his own records (but not BoT because Capitol owns that) or go to a tiny label that will take him because they have only no-names on the roster. Whatever he decides.. the complaining will have zero impact on his lack of a deal.

The thing I find most sad about the current impasse is that Moz has an opportunity to show young singers, writers, and musicians that you don't need a record label. You don't need to kiss ass and play the game. You can release your own material on your own terms and saying what you want to say. The days where you could do that via a record label are over. He needs to smell the coffee.

"Obvious and expected results of tour leave singer complaining about expected status quo on lack of record deal."

Don't get me wrong... I'm going to be seeing him in NYC this year.. but seriously.. he either needs to release his own records (but not BoT because Capitol owns that) or go to a tiny label that will take him because they have only no-names on the roster. Whatever he decides.. the complaining will have zero impact on his lack of a deal.
It's the fans I feel bad for, Moz is being too selfish in my opinion. What happened to songs that save your life? if his songs are so important....upload them on Morrissey Central.

Yeah, Fiona didn't do her homework well on this one, I mean how can you forget a whole Band member if you're the appointed expert writer of Camp Moz. I'm also getting tired of the over-the-top adjectives. It always sounds as if M ghostwrites this.

I only wish Morrissey would ghostwrite these publicity reports. They'd have much better quality, and more flair. It's the difference between the talented narcissist and the witless sycophant, and it shows. Dodwell is so boring and bad. I think my favorite Dodwellism is "with his iconic quiff, the British pop icon ... "

Yeah, Fiona didn't do her homework well on this one, I mean how can you forget a whole Band member if you're the appointed expert writer of Camp Moz. I'm also getting tired of the over-the-top adjectives. It always sounds as if M ghostwrites this.
late night lol GIF by The Rundown with Robin Thede

Yadda Yadda Yadda. Round & round we go. It’s the same whine from the pre Dodwell 90’s, when he couldn‘t get a deal. He’s sure busy though this time round plying his trade in the payload end of the business. i don’t blame him for that, I’m just so sick to death of the endless moaning. It’s bad enough with himself banging on, but we’ve got his new proxy writing endlessly about it.

Enough already.

Top tip If you want record company investment.
Get some mental health help.
Cut the drinking.
Fire the whole band
Take up Yoga
Go away for the foreseeable and write some good quality lyrics
Most of all stop being a huge TW#T

Then make the comeback.

Benny 🇬🇧 :knife:

It's the fans I feel bad for, Moz is being too selfish in my opinion. What happened to songs that save your life? if his songs are so important....upload them on Morrissey Central.
He'd rather go on and on about being ignored and silenced by the record companies. But with the alternate opportunities he has to release his own music, how is he not silencing himself?

Also, nothing really new here Morrissey has always toured to a loyal fanbase with or without a record contract.

He'd rather go on and on about being ignored and silenced by the record companies. But with the alternate opportunities he has to release his own music, how is he not silencing himself?

Also, nothing really new here Morrissey has always toured to a loyal fanbase with or without a record contract.
My interest in the man himself has faded a little, since his music isn't the main talking point anymore and we're just left with this.

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom