Music-News / Fiona Dodwell: "Morrissey UK tour a hit with fans despite continued label silence" (July 19, 2023)

Excerpt:

Brit music legend Morrissey has been touring live dates across the UK with his new band line-up. With long-time lead guitarist Jesse Tobias now playing alongside Carmen Vandenberg, Juan Galeano and Brendan Buckley, Morrissey has been performing a string of sold-out shows in Leeds, Portsmouth, Dublin and Liverpool. With the next show being at London's Troxy this coming Saturday – also now sold out – the former Smiths frontman has been delighting crowds by performing a string of both old hits and new, as yet unreleased, tracks.

New Dodwell piece, if anyone is interested.
Same as the others

Except for the fact that Ireland isn't part of the UK. Ffs say UK & Ireland (or UK & Dublin) and get it right. It's not that difficult. Moz, of all people, knows that people in the Republic hate being misrepresented as UK. Nothing against the UK but we're separate.

Last edited:
I'll go one further – I think, at some point, the quality of the songwriting and how many sales it will generate have to come into the equation. All of us can find a lot to like about some of the new tracks (the musicality of Notre Dame, the well-articulated anguish in the performance of " Saint in a stained-glass window, the authentic rage in bonfire teenagers), but we are all, to some extent, predisposed to finding those virtues.

Would any of us really put any entire album from world peace onwards up there with the earlier eras of the solo career? There are tracks that I love on almost all of those albums, but we're talking a handful across three original albums. (California son is kind of its own thing)

The thing is for the most part I can understand and respect what the band was going for in almost all contexts and I think musically there have been some really interesting new flavors and sounds – even if some of the production choices have been baffling. But Morrissey's lyrics and vocal performances have gotten simpler, more direct, without nuance or flavor, and the lyrics themselves have become much simpler much more nail on the head.

I think it's perfectly fine as a stylistic direction to go in, and certainly sincerely felt, but at some point even preaching that one can understand and sometimes agree with remains one-dimensional preaching and moralizing. There's always been a danger of this in Morrissey's music – "Meat is Murder” and “Margaret on the Guillotine” are not exactly rich lyrical tapestries or sophisticated commentary- but if *all* or most of the offerings back in those days were leaden, blunt missives on life, politics, etc, would his career have come so far.

Further songs as political statements open him up (fairly?) to ok: What should be done differently. There were admitted, pointed, and grievous security errors in the Manchester Bombing – in the official report. What have people forgotten exactly? Ok, Notre Dame was arson? What’s your evidence, and what would you like done differently? Releasing fireballs in song form, then protesting that you aren’t being taken seriously is a little puzzling. It’s entirely possible that record executives etc have listened to what you’ve recorded and decided the quality is just not there.

Add that to your propensity to decry every label when things don’t go exactly as you want, why bother getting into business with you? Tour success doesn't necessarily have anything to do with album sales.

Finally, Morrissey could easily get on a Rogan or Brand Adjacent podcast, and name, names, and expound in detail to friendly ears. The idea that he has been nefariously silenced strains credulity.

Last edited:
Would any of us really put any entire album from world peace onwards up there with the earlier eras of the solo career? There are tracks that I love on almost all of those albums, but we're talking a handful across three original albums. (California son is kind of its own thing)

Yes, I would put World Peace (especially w/the B-Sides added in) up there with his best LPs. I also really enjoy LIHS because of its experimental sounds and overall tone - with side A being absolutely terrific. Dog has some really high marks too.

That's what you get with great artists - at least several good/great songs on every album. No Morrissey LP, I think, was as good as V&I - but that's why it's a "masterpiece".

Yes, I would put World Peace (especially w/the B-Sides added in) up there with his best LPs. I also really enjoy LIHS because of its experimental sounds and overall tone - with side A being absolutely terrific. Dog has some really high marks too.

That's what you get with great artists - at least several good/great songs on every album. No Morrissey LP, I think, was as good as V&I - but that's why it's a "masterpiece".
I'm glad you like them. The Deluxe Tracks in World Peace are pretty great - Mountjoy is the standout for me, in the standard listing, mostly with all of the recent albums, I'm left with a "hasn't he already tackled these themes already in more subtle, supple songwriting?

Suffice it to say, I think there are at least colorable quality of song reasons that the new album isn't attracting suitors, apart from the social and political commentary. Van Morrisson and Eric Clapton are still able to release new albums on labels - I can't imagine they have much more sizable audiences, and they've both been political lightning rods as a late

Fair enough.

YahooSports is also noting that among other stars, Morrissey is presently about (London) town

One of the most well-known acts to play a more intimate gig in the capital this week is former Smiths frontman Morrissey.

It didn't work the first time, so why should it work on the 97th?

This is all about his own money. He won't spend it. He thinks he's entitled to spend other people's money. That is entirely what this is, and always has been about.

Do you know if he gets investors to support the recording? I just can’t understand why someone back the recording of Without Music but not the release of Bonfire. That would be high risk, you are throwing money at an artist that has no ability to release. Surely if an investor was looking at Morrissey they would have paid for the release on bonfire, not to have another album gathering dust. It’s odd, it’s so odd that I had assumed Morrissey paid for these albums to be recorded himself.

Do you know if he gets investors to support the recording? I just can’t understand why someone back the recording of Without Music but not the release of Bonfire. That would be high risk, you are throwing money at an artist that has no ability to release. Surely if an investor was looking at Morrissey they would have paid for the release on bonfire, not to have another album gathering dust. It’s odd, it’s so odd that I had assumed Morrissey paid for these albums to be recorded himself.
As far as I know, he does not. At least I've never heard it mentioned. If there were any investors they must be more upset than Morrissey that the music is not out.

One question I have is what about the band members on the recording? Do they get paid for their time in the studio? Do they only get paid once the music is released or once there is a deal in place?

Was going to say exactly that. It's not 'baffling' at all. No mainstream label is going to release an album containing Bonfire or an album containing Notre Dame. The songs relate to topics that are 'verboten'. The way things are going - Moz should count himself lucky he's not facing trumped up charges or having his shows cancelled by venues. Simply being ignored by the mainstream media and the big labels is maybe the lesser of evils. Just release the material himself. Sell it via Mporium. It's not rocket science how to escape from the current impasse.

I don't think it's the songs so much, Bonfire is old news and besides the song doesn't really say much over the line besides the "morons sing and sway" bit , Notre Dame is just naff in parts and 2 minutes of research would explain why his conspiracy stuff is off by a mile but again the language is fairly tame.

I don't think the problem is the artist and his art, it's the man and his attitude to the people he wants the infrastructure, money and support from. And they would even overlook that if he was delivering suitcases of cash and massive record sales.

Last edited:
Except for the fact that Ireland isn't part of the UK. Ffs say UK & Ireland (or UK & Dublin) and get it right. It's not that difficult. Moz, of all people, knows that people in the Republic hate being misrepresented as UK. Nothing against the UK but we're separate.
Well part of your country is in the UK so it's not unreasonable for people to get a bit confused. Sure you get confused yourself down there refering to Ireland when you mean the South.

O M G
She is totally awful. What is interesting is if you read between the lines, you can see how Mozzy wants to be seen. He gets her to repeat what he has already said and gets her to say stuff he thinks but feels he can't directly say It's funny

Well part of your country is in the UK so it's not unreasonable for people to get a bit confused. Sure you get confused yourself down there refering to Ireland when you mean the South.
Moz didn't play in northern Ireland. He played in the Republic. The Republic is west, east, and south. I'm not confused, thanks.

Last edited:
Yeah, but isn't FiDo British... you'd kind of expect her to get it right.

Last edited:
I'll go one further – I think, at some point, the quality of the songwriting and how many sales it will generate have to come into the equation. All of us can find a lot to like about some of the new tracks (the musicality of Notre Dame, the well-articulated anguish in the performance of " Saint in a stained-glass window, the authentic rage in bonfire teenagers), but we are all, to some extent, predisposed to finding those virtues.

The thing is for the most part I can understand and respect what the band was going for in almost all contexts and I think musically there have been some really interesting new flavors and sounds – even if some of the production choices have been baffling. But Morrissey's lyrics and vocal performances have gotten simpler, more direct, without nuance or flavor, and the lyrics themselves have become much simpler much more nail on the head.

I think it's perfectly fine as a stylistic direction to go in, and certainly sincerely felt, but at some point even preaching that one can understand and sometimes agree with remains one-dimensional preaching and moralizing. There's always been a danger of this in Morrissey's music – "Meat is Murder” and “Margaret on the Guillotine” are not exactly rich lyrical tapestries or sophisticated commentary- but if *all* or most of the offerings back in those days were leaden, blunt missives on life, politics, etc, would his career have come so far.

Further songs as political statements open him up (fairly?) to ok: What should be done differently. There were admitted, pointed, and grievous security errors in the Manchester Bombing – in the official report. What have people forgotten exactly? Ok, Notre Dame was arson? What’s your evidence, and what would you like done differently? Releasing fireballs in song form, then protesting that you aren’t being taken seriously is a little puzzling. It’s entirely possible that record executives etc have listened to what you’ve recorded and decided the quality is just not there.
You are talking as if record executives give a damn about the quality of the music they release. If they did they wouldn't release so much crap.

Not to mention, many of us do think his recent albums are still great.

I think it's gotta be either the labels want this type of 360 deal where they get a cut from everything he does, including ticket sales, as Bored said, and Moz isn't willing to do that, or it's politics (Bonfire and Notre Dame). Or both.
Add that to your propensity to decry every label when things don’t go exactly as you want, why bother getting into business with you? Tour success doesn't necessarily have anything to do with album sales.

Finally, Morrissey could easily get on a Rogan or Brand Adjacent podcast, and name, names, and expound in detail to friendly ears. The idea that he has been nefariously silenced strains credulity.
Well, Bonfire is sitting at Capitol offices gathering dust...

Had she googled his name in news for the last months, she would have seen there was recently an article in TheTimes UK, + an article reviewing his Dublin gigs in quite glowing terms, + prior to that a lot of articles about Andy Rourke passing - praising his career and de facto the career of the band in which Rourke played with a certain M as lyricist and singer, + "The Sound of The Smiths" has been in the top 100 UK Albums Chart for many years...
What drugs is she on ? Reality distortion is a psychological trouble.

You are talking as if record executives give a damn about the quality of the music they release. If they did they wouldn't release so much crap.

I think it's gotta be either the labels want this type of 360 deal where they get a cut from everything he does, including ticket sales, as Bored said, and Moz isn't willing to do that, or it's politics (Bonfire and Notre Dame). Or both.

It's still not clear to me Where the fault lies from, not willing to exempt or Condemn capital It seems to me perfectly likely that Morrissey did not run Miley's name through their labels for approval, didn't check with Miley to 2¹

They care about quality and so far as they care about selling And I suppose I wonder if they think any of the recent. tracks Are quality enough to be profitable to The extent that they need to be Particularly in the light last handful of albums Sales figures and attracting new fans, not just the already converted.

As far as b onfire sitting under lock And key I don't know who's to blame for that. I think there's a good possibility Moz got out ahead of messaging, didn't clear things with Miley or the labels, and/or won't give back an advance or do a 360. I also think Capitol could indeed be sitting on it, more out of spite for being slagged than anything else, but I don't buy grand notions of suppression because of what the songs posit
No company has come barreling forward to re-release World Peace or release remasters of the Early 2000’s stuf f I am glad folks like the newer albums. I recognize the craft intentionality etc and there are songs on all of them I like a lot just offering my perspective

Not only does she repeat herself with each 'article', but she repeats herself over and over within the article, using the same words and ideas over and over. Oscar Wilde would be mortified.
The omission of Camila is odd, she is very pretty, FiDo is probably jealous.

I think Moz deserves to be canceled just over this bullshit.

I wish Moz would just give her the D, I think that's what she really wants. Has anyone told her he really doesn't like many girls in that way and Tina has dibs on carrying his child?

It's still not clear to me Where the fault lies from, not willing to exempt or Condemn capital It seems to me perfectly likely that Morrissey did not run Miley's name through their labels for approval, didn't check with Miley to 2¹
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Surely clearing things with Miley's label wouldn't have been Moz's job. And in any case, it's just a matter of removing her vocals, that cannot be what's holding the album back.
They care about quality and so far as they care about selling And I suppose I wonder if they think any of the recent. tracks Are quality enough to be profitable to The extent that they need to be Particularly in the light last handful of albums Sales figures and attracting new fans, not just the already converted.

As far as b onfire sitting under lock And key I don't know who's to blame for that. I think there's a good possibility Moz got out ahead of messaging, didn't clear things with Miley or the labels, and/or won't give back an advance or do a 360. I also think Capitol could indeed be sitting on it, more out of spite for being slagged than anything else, but I don't buy grand notions of suppression because of what the songs posit
No company has come barreling forward to re-release World Peace or release remasters of the Early 2000’s stuf f I am glad folks like the newer albums. I recognize the craft intentionality etc and there are songs on all of them I like a lot just offering my perspective
If he didn't agree to a 360 deal in the first place, then he doesn't have to agree to it now. The only half-believable possibility would be that Moz is refusing to give back the advance. It would be absurd, if it's that easy to get the album back that he wouldn't do it. But Capitol could easily say this is the case, and they haven't.
But I could see how Morrissey might think it's their obligation to release the album and that they don't get to just walk back on the deal. Who knows what the deal said in the first place.

Last edited:
Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom